Studio One future?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
User avatar
antic604
KVRAF
3981 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:18 pm

Trancit wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:02 am
To release an interesting feature with some weaknesses to update this feature a little bit more in the next major release (but not too much) and a bit more next time etc...
Isn't this a typical thing for software development? Have you ever coded anything?

I'm not defending S1 (I agree with many points), BTW. That's just inevitable reality.
Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 4 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Trancit
KVRAF
2616 posts since 27 Jul, 2004

Re: Studio One future?

Post Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:44 pm

antic604 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:18 pm
Isn't this a typical thing for software development? Have you ever coded anything?

I'm not defending S1 (I agree with many points), BTW. That's just inevitable reality.
Probably your right and all one can say is welcome to our great world

Crossinger
KVRist
320 posts since 21 Nov, 2000 from Good Ol' Germany

Re: Studio One future?

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:25 am

Trancit wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:44 pm
Probably your right and all one can say is welcome to our great world
https://youtu.be/jm4Rll9axkQ

Working in the software business for decades, I can confirm: sad, but true.

beatmangler443
KVRist
421 posts since 11 Jun, 2013

Re: Studio One future?

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:09 pm

Presonus future is bright. They are balancing where music is now with features for the creative side of things (which are dominating right now) with the mixing/mastering side. They are balancing both. Question is if certain customers can adapt with the times, being open to change, and let go of what was popular 10 years ago. Just my 2.

jonljacobi
KVRian
1397 posts since 16 Jan, 2013 from USA

Re: Studio One future?

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:46 pm

beatmangler443 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:09 pm
Presonus future is bright. They are balancing where music is now with features for the creative side of things (which are dominating right now) with the mixing/mastering side. They are balancing both. Question is if certain customers can adapt with the times, being open to change, and let go of what was popular 10 years ago. Just my 2.
So exactly where is music now? And what’s different from ten years ago?

beatmangler443
KVRist
421 posts since 11 Jun, 2013

Re: Studio One future?

Post Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:38 pm

jonljacobi wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:46 pm
beatmangler443 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:09 pm
Presonus future is bright. They are balancing where music is now with features for the creative side of things (which are dominating right now) with the mixing/mastering side. They are balancing both. Question is if certain customers can adapt with the times, being open to change, and let go of what was popular 10 years ago. Just my 2.
So exactly where is music now? And what’s different from ten years ago?
I think you know that answer.

jonljacobi
KVRian
1397 posts since 16 Jan, 2013 from USA

Re: Studio One future?

Post Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:31 am

beatmangler443 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:38 pm
jonljacobi wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:46 pm
beatmangler443 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:09 pm
Presonus future is bright. They are balancing where music is now with features for the creative side of things (which are dominating right now) with the mixing/mastering side. They are balancing both. Question is if certain customers can adapt with the times, being open to change, and let go of what was popular 10 years ago. Just my 2.
So exactly where is music now? And what’s different from ten years ago?
I think you know that answer.
Yes, I do. But I was asking you as you seem to think things have radically changed in a single decade.

User avatar
gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
2508 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Re: Studio One future?

Post Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:50 pm

As long as presonus doesn; tackl etheir midi shit they will stay behind the curve , simple as that >
Their 'Look mum no midi' which internally converts midi to their own protocol is just not as reliable and skips note etc.., and with midi 2.0 on the rise they better tackle this stuff fast.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

User avatar
antic604
KVRAF
3981 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Re: Studio One future?

Post Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:58 pm

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:50 pm
As long as presonus doesn; tackl etheir midi shit they will stay behind the curve , simple as that >
Their 'Look mum no midi' which internally converts midi to their own protocol is just not as reliable and skips note etc.., and with midi 2.0 on the rise they better tackle this stuff fast.
Whata rey out alking about? :roll:
Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 4 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
2508 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Re: Studio One future?

Post Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:27 am

What I am talking about , it's presonus own internal midi protocol which is unreliable under certain conditions
https://s1manual.presonus.com/Content/F ... o_MIDI.htm
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Trancit
KVRAF
2616 posts since 27 Jul, 2004

Re: Studio One future?

Post Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:41 am

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:27 am
... which is unreliable under certain conditions ...
What are these certain conditions???

oneway
KVRist
147 posts since 11 Dec, 2017

Re: Studio One future?

Post Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:53 pm

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:27 am
What I am talking about , it's presonus own internal midi protocol which is unreliable under certain conditions
https://s1manual.presonus.com/Content/F ... o_MIDI.htm
Are you talking about your problems with auditioning notes via mouse clicks on the S1 forum? Since nobody else (or even you for that matter) could replicate your results reliably it really sounds like something else is at play. I’ve seen you post this a ton but I don’t think your particular issue reflects badly on S1’s whole internal note engine.

As for the other issues you pointed out there (many were fixed if I recall) they rarely had anything to do with their higher-than-128-step resolution though you keep mentioning that as a cause.

Studio One has more than 100,000 users, I think more than a handful of people would have noticed if their midi engine was super unreliable.

I think in the future they'll continue to improve the external flexibility of their midi engine (not filtering Sysex data, MPE support, not filtering polyphonic aftertouch, better "Channel" support such as omni and flexibility within Multis, etc) but I don't think there's anything massively wrong just because two or three people have a weird issue they can't figure out.

User avatar
gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
2508 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Re: Studio One future?

Post Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:12 pm

oneway wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:53 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:27 am
What I am talking about , it's presonus own internal midi protocol which is unreliable under certain conditions
https://s1manual.presonus.com/Content/F ... o_MIDI.htm
Are you talking about your problems with auditioning notes via mouse clicks on the S1 forum? Since nobody else (or even you for that matter) could replicate your results reliably it really sounds like something else is at play. I’ve seen you post this a ton but I don’t think your particular issue reflects badly on S1’s whole internal note engine.

As for the other issues you pointed out there (many were fixed if I recall) they rarely had anything to do with their higher-than-128-step resolution though you keep mentioning that as a cause.

Studio One has more than 100,000 users, I think more than a handful of people would have noticed if their midi engine was super unreliable.

I think in the future they'll continue to improve the external flexibility of their midi engine (not filtering Sysex data, MPE support, not filtering polyphonic aftertouch, better "Channel" support such as omni and flexibility within Multis, etc) but I don't think there's anything massively wrong just because two or three people have a weird issue they can't figure out.
Ahum, other users reported the same thing , few years ago .
And what are you talking about couldn't replicate it reliably ?
This major showstopper happened every few months , and I had to wait for a win 10 update for studio one to work again (mind you this only happened in studio one )
Am i sure it's a gui , and keyboard mouse related issue , it's too dependent on minor win 10 updates .
I'm holding wood it won't happen again
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”