Reaper and Bitwig.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Spring Goose wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:39 pm

I thought the automatable parameters of a VST instrument or effect only has a resolution of 128. I just want to be able to enter an exact number 0 or 1 to 128.
Some parameters have more steps than that, some less and some exactly that amount. It depends on the synth and parameter. 128 steps is common because it’s easy to map to midi cc’s.

Acid Mitch wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:46 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:39 pm

I thought the automatable parameters of a VST instrument or effect only has a resolution of 128. I just want to be able to enter an exact number 0 or 1 to 128.
Some parameters have more steps than that, some less and some exactly that amount. It depends on the synth and parameter. 128 steps is common because it’s easy to map to midi cc’s.
thanks

What do you mean by a "programmer"? Sound Designer or Software Developer?

people who program in code/writing

Yeah a software developer, although i'm not sure i'd call a hobbyist a "software developer".

xbitz wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:40 pm ^^^ yepp, just it's not just a plugin but whole DAW, if you like modulation and modular things then Bitwig + Reason Rack Plugin can be a good choice if u want change DAW and keep your existing materials in the same time
I only use The Echo. I used to use Reason synths but I stopped when I bought other synths (which I like better).
I thought for the £229 to upgrade to Reason 11 (suite), well I could buy both Blue Cat Late Replies and Audio Thing Outer Space. I already have Replika XT. TBH I haven't used The Echo much recently, but it is one the things I like on Reason Rack.

Acid Mitch wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:44 pm Bitwig and Reaper are aimed at musicians, not computer programmers.
They both have demos you can try for yourself.

I can’t think of any daws aimed at computer programmers.
Reaktor
Max 4 Live
Synth Edit
I thought could I add "Bitwig's The Grid" onto this list?

I just wanted to talk about it before trying demos. I'm only interested at the moment. As I explained I have only a vague interest in changing DAWs. I wouldn't change DAWs in the next 6 months I think.

I might like modular. I dunno yet, i'm still getting my head around sound design tbh. I have quite enough synths, and I've barely scratched the surface yet I think.

Also I've joined this community (KVR) where a lot of people are using these softwares: Reaper and Bitwig. I had a quick look at it, but then I felt overwhelmed by it. I'm just asking, i'm just taking an interest in Reaper and Bitwig and the people who use it.

Furthermore is it the same people who have a very deep understanding of DSP also can understand computer programming? (they have such an intellect).
Or am I mistaken?

BTW I was kinda absent from making computer music and reading about it between 2009 to 2018. I'm playing catch up. Am I right these Reaper and Bitwig didn't even exist in 2008?

Reaper may have been, Bitwig is about 5 years in release.

Spring Goose wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:06 pm people who program in code/writing
Well, there are different kinds of those programmers.
Those who write in C/C++, Delphi... etc with deep knowledge of DSP. And there are others who write utilities with script languages such as in Bitwig and Reaper.
There are also coders who write music on code like CSound, have you searched that? There are others similar software.

In the 80's they used to call the sound designer a programmer as well.

Reaktor even though you don't write a code but it nevertheless has a high learning curve. Anyway, it's a wonderful environment, you can go as deep as you want. It also you can make light usage and sound design. It has everything for a very reasonable price.

They called the sound designers programmers because they were programming the sound chips. Pre-recorded audio took a while to appear.

"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Spring Goose wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:06 pm
Acid Mitch wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:44 pm Bitwig and Reaper are aimed at musicians, not computer programmers.
They both have demos you can try for yourself.

I can’t think of any daws aimed at computer programmers.
Reaktor
Max 4 Live
Synth Edit
I thought could I add "Bitwig's The Grid" onto this list?
Reaktor, Max and synth edit aren't daws. They're closer to programming languages/ dev kits.
The Grid is a bit similar but more like a modular synth. Your working with a bunch(160) of modules.
In the other programs you mention you can create the modules.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”