A Sunday improv

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mostly a relaxed improvisation, with just a tad of mystery.

Rather quickly improvised, arranged somewhat, and mixed. Keep it fresh.

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/sundayjam

Ooh, I like the old-school trip-hoppy groove. Everything sits well in the mix. For something improvised it's well-constructed and produced. It's really all about the drums/bass/pad groove for me. Not thrilled with the lead on top (is that processed electric guitar?) I find it kind of noodly, but that's an artistic judgement on my part. Overall, nice effort!

I'll be posting some of my music soon.

Thanks for the comment !

Yes, the foundations are the most important. The guitar lead, which is a processed acoustic guitar, is rather volatile and is there mostly for fun. The guitar theme is nice though, maybe, if there's ever a development with this, the theme could be picked up by another instrument.

What's nice about production is that with learning, exploring, practice and experience everything falls in place w/o much thinking about it. Which is a bit awkward in a way as if someone asks how it was done, then I'd answer something like, I put the instrument on the track and play, then I adjust the volume.

I think that a turning point was attained with the realization that there must be a feeling of space between the sounds. There must be 'air' flowing in-between the notes. And that starts right with the first instrument, in this case the two keyboard chords. The second instrument, the drums, were added so that they work with the chords while providing space for others. So on so forth. And not everything crammed. It's done by ear although I should also take a good look at the frequencies and technically assure that each instrument has its more or less frequency space. And that there's a purpose when they overlap.

Cheers.

Return to “Music Cafe”