Why you left Cubase

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

miloszz wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:03 am ...I plan to demo Cubase, of course, but I need to order an eLicenser since no Guitar Centers around me seem to have one.
You could demo Cubase Elements, for that you don't need a dongle. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Pro and Artist versions, but it gives you a good insight into how to work with Cubase.

Apart from that I don't find Cubase clunky. You have a lot of choices how to go about things, in that way it reminds me a bit of FL Studio :D and that's one of the things I really like about Cubase. I work a lot with shortcuts and macros and for that kind of workflow Cubase is ideal. I'm on PC and for me Cubase runs smoothly without any problems, so I don't know if it works ok on Mac.

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jinotsuh wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:32 am
antic604 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:45 am
For me that (the "clunkiness") represents the impression that it's all cobbled together, barely holding at the seams. Like for instance you have an old bike, where the paint chips here & there, the steering is kinda loose and imprecise, there's oil grease everywhere and you're never sure if brakes will work when you need them. It's all wonky and wobbly.

A lot of it is kinda irrational, resulting from my lack of experience with it and - probably - just my bias, but it's enough to go deeper into Cubase to see those 90's bits of code / workflow / visuals sticking out, which further reinforces that "feeling".
So kinda like SONAR or Cakewalk (CbB) then?
Yes. Just not as severe. ;)

We're talking about very old programs in Sonar, Cubase, and Logic. Especially the latter two that go back to the 80's. I thought Sequel was the new interface they were going to apply to Cubase, but it never happened. All three have a rather antiquated "more is better" interface philosophy (if there really is one), then there's the whole not wanting to disturb existing users too much, and maintaining revenue stream with new features, and you wind up with what you have now. S1 and Reaper follow along proudly in the tradition. You can customize/minimize Logic and Reaper, but still.

Super powerful DAWs that are great options for lots of users and engineers, but I opt for simpler. Luna appears to me as a greatly streamlined effort in the same direction. Very Pro Tools-ian, but clean. Sadly, UA and Mac only.

Bump

Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Should I but it? I mean, 40% crossgrade discount and all, so about 200 EUR 😆
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:04 pm Should I but it? I mean, 40% crossgrade discount and all, so about 200 EUR 😆
It's getting better with each new release, so why the hell not. I might use it occasionally once they ditch the eDongle.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:14 pm
starflakeprj wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:04 pm Should I but it? I mean, 40% crossgrade discount and all, so about 200 EUR 😆
It's getting better with each new release, so why the hell not. I might use it occasionally once they ditch the eDongle.
It is certainly intriguing at 40% off, but I remember two, three years ago when Steinberg ran a 50% off on crossgrades. I almost bought it back then. Not it's a little more expensive, but also more mature :)

Don't mind the eLicenser dongle since I have one already.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:24 pm
It is certainly intriguing at 40% off, but I remember two, three years ago when Steinberg ran a 50% off on crossgrades. I almost bought it back then. Not it's a little more expensive, but also more mature :)

I think that was some big anniversary, like 30 years or something?
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:14 pm I might use it occasionally once they ditch the eDongle.
The thought crossed my mind too. Just reluctant to get into another quasi-subscription scheme (like... a new paid version every year). If anything, I'd rather look for something free, or very low priced.

And, if anyone argues "But you don't have to upgrade", yes, that's correct. The issue with that is that only new version get good support. Wouldn't be the first time where a new version gets some important fixes, which aren't done in former versions.

Man, I really yearn for the times where a new (paid) major version was released every 5 years or something...

chk071 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:29 pm
antic604 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:14 pm I might use it occasionally once they ditch the eDongle.
The thought crossed my mind too. Just reluctant to get into another quasi-subscription scheme (like... a new paid version every year). If anything, I'd rather look for something free, or very low priced.

And, if anyone argues "But you don't have to upgrade", yes, that's correct. The issue with that is that only new version get good support. Wouldn't be the first time where a new version gets some important fixes, which aren't done in former versions.

Man, I really yearn for the times where a new (paid) major version was released every 5 years or something...
Right, that's one more thing that is disappointing about Cubase. Seeing how much stuff Bitwig, Live, Studio One or even that goddamn Reason add between paid updates it's disheartening that Steinberg only adds features - and indeed fixes bugs - once a year only when it's time to pay :(
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:35 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:29 pm

Right, that's one more thing that is disappointing about Cubase. Seeing how much stuff Bitwig, Live, Studio One or even that goddamn Reason add between paid updates it's disheartening that Steinberg only adds features - and indeed fixes bugs - once a year only when it's time to pay :(
This has been my other reluctance beyond the dongle too. There have been some annoying bugs that seem to get resolved in paid releases. That's what pissed me off about Wave Lab many years ago (time flies) especially with their first Mac release (where shortcuts were reversed in some windows - it was crazy).

antic604 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:27 pm
starflakeprj wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:24 pm

I think that was some big anniversary, like 30 years or something?
Oh yeah, you might be on something there.

I found the competitive crossgrade at Sweetwater for $199.20. That's even lower than the €199 from Best Service. Just bought it (I'm bored, and couldn't resist) :)

Was not as well optimized for the Mac as Logic is, no surprise there. I tried 10.0 in case I switched to a PC, because Apple was annoying me for a good long while. With the new ARM chip, Apple and I are speaking again.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”