Spire Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
Teksonik
KVRAF
13103 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:02 am

rezoneight wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:54 am
Of course the real truth is that both Spire and Dune 3 sound fantastic...
Yes I know I'm just messing with chk071 who for some reason likes to talk smack about Dune 3. I was just returning the favor. :hihi:

I've tried the Spire demo several times but it just never spoke to me which is a shame since I love the GUI.

Of course it's to each his own but you can promote your favorite synth without trash talking ones you don't like or just don't get........ 8)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

User avatar
dionenoid
KVRian
628 posts since 3 Jan, 2019 from Holland

Re: Spire Synthesizer

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:11 am

Teksonik wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:02 am

Of course it's to each his own but you can promote your favorite synth without trash talking ones you don't like or just don't get........ 8)
Not here, this is KVR :D
More BPM please

User avatar
Teksonik
KVRAF
13103 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Re: Spire Synthesizer

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:24 am

Yes I forget where I was for a moment....... :dog:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

rlared
KVRian
602 posts since 1 Aug, 2016

Re: Spire Synthesizer

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:21 pm

ReaSynth (Reaper's included synth) is better than both

User avatar
teilo
KVRist
456 posts since 30 Mar, 2008

Re: Spire Synthesizer

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:34 pm

Teksonik wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:02 am
I've tried the Spire demo several times but it just never spoke to me which is a shame since I love the GUI.
Except for the preset system which is still thoroughly and completely broken.
macOS | Bitwig 3.x | Logic Pro X | Scarlett 6i6 v2 | DX7 w/SER-7 | Adam Audio T7V & Sub8
U-he all | Melda all | TAL synths | Komplete 12 Ult. Coll. | Arturia V 7 | Fabfilter Pro all | Rapid | countless others

fgimian
KVRAF
2527 posts since 14 Jul, 2005 from Australia

Re: Spire Synthesizer

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:30 pm

The preset manager is imho the biggest shortcoming of this otherwise incredible synth. Sylenth1 has a similar problem in the preset department.

The days of preset banks should be behind us by now, it's an antiquated concept which makes it so difficult to organise and re-organise your presets while you're creating them.

A simple preset browser based on hard disk folders and individual preset files would be perfect, even without category filters. u-he has done this better than most developers out there, their preset browser is my favourite.

User avatar
rezoneight
KVRist
156 posts since 18 Feb, 2004

Re: Spire Synthesizer

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:49 pm

Teksonik wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:02 am
rezoneight wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:54 am
Of course the real truth is that both Spire and Dune 3 sound fantastic...
Yes I know I'm just messing with chk071 who for some reason likes to talk smack about Dune 3. I was just returning the favor. :hihi:

I've tried the Spire demo several times but it just never spoke to me which is a shame since I love the GUI.

Of course it's to each his own but you can promote your favorite synth without trash talking ones you don't like or just don't get........ 8)
I think I'm just a simpleton or something because honestly I haven't found a modern software instrument that I've bought that I don't love ;) Love Dune 2/3. Love Spire. Love Rapid. Love everything in the NI stable. Same for Arturia. They all sound incredible IMHO. Yes some are older, or maybe better emulations are out there, etc. but we live in great times when there is such a ton of great stuff available for so cheap. Honestly you can't go wrong with *any* of them.

User avatar
Teksonik
KVRAF
13103 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Re: Spire Synthesizer

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:13 pm

Well if I didn't love a synth I wouldn't have bought it so..... :D

I agree there are a lot of very high quality synths to choose from these days. Something for everyone to love. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

User avatar
teilo
KVRist
456 posts since 30 Mar, 2008

Re: Spire Synthesizer

Post Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:05 am

fgimian wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:30 pm
The preset manager is imho the biggest shortcoming of this otherwise incredible synth. Sylenth1 has a similar problem in the preset department.

The days of preset banks should be behind us by now, it's an antiquated concept which makes it so difficult to organise and re-organise your presets while you're creating them.

A simple preset browser based on hard disk folders and individual preset files would be perfect, even without category filters. u-he has done this better than most developers out there, their preset browser is my favourite.
It's worse than that. Try to get a custom patch to save. Now try to make a change and re-save the patch. You can't.

EDIT: Hmm. Looks like this bug must have been fixed in some point release. Used to be that the only way to get a preset to save to a bank was to save the bank, then completely unload the bank from Spire, and re-load it. Otherwise you would lose your changes.

It still has that crazy workflow where the entire bank is saved at once. Changes to presets persist when flipping between presets, so you can accidentally save changes to multiple presets when you had no intention of doing so. There's no way to revert a preset back to the saved version other than restarting Spire, or unloading and reloading the entire bank.
macOS | Bitwig 3.x | Logic Pro X | Scarlett 6i6 v2 | DX7 w/SER-7 | Adam Audio T7V & Sub8
U-he all | Melda all | TAL synths | Komplete 12 Ult. Coll. | Arturia V 7 | Fabfilter Pro all | Rapid | countless others

User avatar
Synthman2000
KVRian
646 posts since 27 Apr, 2016

Re: Spire Synthesizer

Post Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:06 am

Spire has never been a go to here but you know what it can make good sounds, the GUI workflow is a bit clunky and slow to navigate at times but if you know synths you can deal with that. I loaded it up this week and enjoyed what I heard. I think I love every synth I own and having multiple to tweak is inspiring and often provokes you to do something different from time to time and adds a little challenge along the way. Also it can make nice variation on sounds you enjoy adding to your sonic palette. Spire filters sound quite unique to me, not much ITB sounds like them. Some synths just get used a bit less because you just naturally gravitate towards some more than others, it need only be 1 factor that makes this so, sound quality, usability, familiarity even, it is often not that 1 synth is necessary significantly worse than another.

When it comes to presets I always save my presets as a single file in a specific folder on my C drive so..

C:/Synth presets/Spire/Sylenth1/Massive etc. etc. And just save every preset I make into these synth named folders. Then after every track I back it up onto an external drive over writing the last version with new ones I made. I guess that approach does not work for everyone and/or every synth but mainly it works pretty smooth for me. Spire is no exception.

I am not really much of a bank loader/scroller of my own sounds.. I am more "Ok I need a X sound now and if I plan not to make a new version of it I pull up a synth that I know does sound X the best and then load a previous preset for that sound type." so this works pretty well and I feel I have a good control over everything. It is a little slow but I am in no rush. What does my head in is synths that don't allow me to save a preset I made where I want it to reside and you are stuck in a specific bank or fixed internal pathway.

User avatar
vega555
KVRist
286 posts since 10 May, 2009

Re: Spire Synthesizer

Post Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:20 am

Spring Sale is on!
Up to 90$ off on Spire and 30% off on all sounds:
https://reveal-sound.com/

Image

Image

User avatar
Julion
KVRer
5 posts since 23 Sep, 2011 from Helsinki, Finland

Re: Spire Synthesizer

Post Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:47 pm

Quick question: I noticed I have plenty of Spire 1.0 instances in my older projects, but I have only Spire 1.1 installed. From Reveal-Sound's website I managed to find the version 1.0.22 for Catalina. I ran the installer and restarted Logic Pro X, but the plug-in manager still lists only Spire 1.1 and no other version. Am I doing something wrong?
MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2.5 GHz i7, Mac OS 10.10, Logic Pro X, Logic Pro 9, RME Babyface

User avatar
vega555
KVRist
286 posts since 10 May, 2009

Re: Spire Synthesizer

Post Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:24 pm

Julion wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:47 pm
Quick question: I noticed I have plenty of Spire 1.0 instances in my older projects, but I have only Spire 1.1 installed. From Reveal-Sound's website I managed to find the version 1.0.22 for Catalina. I ran the installer and restarted Logic Pro X, but the plug-in manager still lists only Spire 1.1 and no other version. Am I doing something wrong?
Hi!

Please perform these steps with the Spire.component file:
https://www.reveal-sound.com/plug-ins/s ... e-base/393

If the problem still persists please contact us via support@reveal-sound.com with detailed info.

User avatar
Vortifex
KVRAF
1747 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Re: Spire Synthesizer

Post Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:59 am

fgimian wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:30 pm
The preset manager is imho the biggest shortcoming of this otherwise incredible synth. Sylenth1 has a similar problem in the preset department.

The days of preset banks should be behind us by now, it's an antiquated concept which makes it so difficult to organise and re-organise your presets while you're creating them.

A simple preset browser based on hard disk folders and individual preset files would be perfect, even without category filters. u-he has done this better than most developers out there, their preset browser is my favourite.
Saving presets in this is a nightmare, easily the worst thing about it.

User avatar
Julion
KVRer
5 posts since 23 Sep, 2011 from Helsinki, Finland

Re: Spire Synthesizer

Post Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:15 am

vega555 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:24 pm
Julion wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:47 pm
Quick question: I noticed I have plenty of Spire 1.0 instances in my older projects, but I have only Spire 1.1 installed. From Reveal-Sound's website I managed to find the version 1.0.22 for Catalina. I ran the installer and restarted Logic Pro X, but the plug-in manager still lists only Spire 1.1 and no other version. Am I doing something wrong?
Hi!

Please perform these steps with the Spire.component file:
https://www.reveal-sound.com/plug-ins/s ... e-base/393

If the problem still persists please contact us via support@reveal-sound.com with detailed info.
Thank you, it works! By the way, my cache files were located in ~/Library/Caches/AudioUnitCache/.
MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2.5 GHz i7, Mac OS 10.10, Logic Pro X, Logic Pro 9, RME Babyface

Return to “Instruments”