Spire Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Elektro Synth 1.5 Spire Presets Spire

rezoneight wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:54 pm Of course the real truth is that both Spire and Dune 3 sound fantastic...
Yes I know I'm just messing with chk071 who for some reason likes to talk smack about Dune 3. I was just returning the favor. :hihi:

I've tried the Spire demo several times but it just never spoke to me which is a shame since I love the GUI.

Of course it's to each his own but you can promote your favorite synth without trash talking ones you don't like or just don't get........ 8)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:02 pm
Of course it's to each his own but you can promote your favorite synth without trash talking ones you don't like or just don't get........ 8)
Not here, this is KVR :D
More BPM please

Yes I forget where I was for a moment....... :dog:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

ReaSynth (Reaper's included synth) is better than both

Teksonik wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:02 pm I've tried the Spire demo several times but it just never spoke to me which is a shame since I love the GUI.
Except for the preset system which is still thoroughly and completely broken.

The preset manager is imho the biggest shortcoming of this otherwise incredible synth. Sylenth1 has a similar problem in the preset department.

The days of preset banks should be behind us by now, it's an antiquated concept which makes it so difficult to organise and re-organise your presets while you're creating them.

A simple preset browser based on hard disk folders and individual preset files would be perfect, even without category filters. u-he has done this better than most developers out there, their preset browser is my favourite.

Teksonik wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:02 pm
rezoneight wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:54 pm Of course the real truth is that both Spire and Dune 3 sound fantastic...
Yes I know I'm just messing with chk071 who for some reason likes to talk smack about Dune 3. I was just returning the favor. :hihi:

I've tried the Spire demo several times but it just never spoke to me which is a shame since I love the GUI.

I think I'm just a simpleton or something because honestly I haven't found a modern software instrument that I've bought that I don't love ;) Love Dune 2/3. Love Spire. Love Rapid. Love everything in the NI stable. Same for Arturia. They all sound incredible IMHO. Yes some are older, or maybe better emulations are out there, etc. but we live in great times when there is such a ton of great stuff available for so cheap. Honestly you can't go wrong with *any* of them.

Well if I didn't love a synth I wouldn't have bought it so..... :D

I agree there are a lot of very high quality synths to choose from these days. Something for everyone to love. :tu:

fgimian wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:30 pm The preset manager is imho the biggest shortcoming of this otherwise incredible synth. Sylenth1 has a similar problem in the preset department.

The days of preset banks should be behind us by now, it's an antiquated concept which makes it so difficult to organise and re-organise your presets while you're creating them.

A simple preset browser based on hard disk folders and individual preset files would be perfect, even without category filters. u-he has done this better than most developers out there, their preset browser is my favourite.
It's worse than that. Try to get a custom patch to save. Now try to make a change and re-save the patch. You can't.

EDIT: Hmm. Looks like this bug must have been fixed in some point release. Used to be that the only way to get a preset to save to a bank was to save the bank, then completely unload the bank from Spire, and re-load it. Otherwise you would lose your changes.

It still has that crazy workflow where the entire bank is saved at once. Changes to presets persist when flipping between presets, so you can accidentally save changes to multiple presets when you had no intention of doing so. There's no way to revert a preset back to the saved version other than restarting Spire, or unloading and reloading the entire bank.

Spire has never been a go to here but you know what it can make good sounds, the GUI workflow is a bit clunky and slow to navigate at times but if you know synths you can deal with that. I loaded it up this week and enjoyed what I heard. I think I love every synth I own and having multiple to tweak is inspiring and often provokes you to do something different from time to time and adds a little challenge along the way. Also it can make nice variation on sounds you enjoy adding to your sonic palette. Spire filters sound quite unique to me, not much ITB sounds like them. Some synths just get used a bit less because you just naturally gravitate towards some more than others, it need only be 1 factor that makes this so, sound quality, usability, familiarity even, it is often not that 1 synth is necessary significantly worse than another.

When it comes to presets I always save my presets as a single file in a specific folder on my C drive so..

C:/Synth presets/Spire/Sylenth1/Massive etc. etc. And just save every preset I make into these synth named folders. Then after every track I back it up onto an external drive over writing the last version with new ones I made. I guess that approach does not work for everyone and/or every synth but mainly it works pretty smooth for me. Spire is no exception.

I am not really much of a bank loader/scroller of my own sounds.. I am more "Ok I need a X sound now and if I plan not to make a new version of it I pull up a synth that I know does sound X the best and then load a previous preset for that sound type." so this works pretty well and I feel I have a good control over everything. It is a little slow but I am in no rush. What does my head in is synths that don't allow me to save a preset I made where I want it to reside and you are stuck in a specific bank or fixed internal pathway.

Spring Sale is on!
Up to 90$ off on Spire and 30% off on all sounds:
https://reveal-sound.com/

Quick question: I noticed I have plenty of Spire 1.0 instances in my older projects, but I have only Spire 1.1 installed. From Reveal-Sound's website I managed to find the version 1.0.22 for Catalina. I ran the installer and restarted Logic Pro X, but the plug-in manager still lists only Spire 1.1 and no other version. Am I doing something wrong?
MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2.5 GHz i7, Logic Pro X, RME Babyface

Julion wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:47 am Quick question: I noticed I have plenty of Spire 1.0 instances in my older projects, but I have only Spire 1.1 installed. From Reveal-Sound's website I managed to find the version 1.0.22 for Catalina. I ran the installer and restarted Logic Pro X, but the plug-in manager still lists only Spire 1.1 and no other version. Am I doing something wrong?
Hi!

Please perform these steps with the Spire.component file:
https://www.reveal-sound.com/plug-ins/s ... e-base/393

If the problem still persists please contact us via support@reveal-sound.com with detailed info.

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

vega555 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:24 am
Julion wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:47 am Quick question: I noticed I have plenty of Spire 1.0 instances in my older projects, but I have only Spire 1.1 installed. From Reveal-Sound's website I managed to find the version 1.0.22 for Catalina. I ran the installer and restarted Logic Pro X, but the plug-in manager still lists only Spire 1.1 and no other version. Am I doing something wrong?
Hi!

Please perform these steps with the Spire.component file:
https://www.reveal-sound.com/plug-ins/s ... e-base/393

If the problem still persists please contact us via support@reveal-sound.com with detailed info.
Thank you, it works! By the way, my cache files were located in ~/Library/Caches/AudioUnitCache/.
MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2.5 GHz i7, Logic Pro X, RME Babyface

Return to “Instruments”