Line level to mic level attenuation

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone

I’ve just ordered a Roland VT-4 vocal effects unit. It takes a mic level input and outputs at line level. I want to use it in conjunction with a Boss VE-500, which requires a mic level input. Will I need an attenuator, and if so what type? I have tried to contact Roland but you can’t call them, and their stupid online case logging thing has allocated my question to a person who is not available for over a week, which seems highly questionable.

A passive DI box would work. You might want a DI with a built in pad, just in case the output level is still too hot for the VE-500 but it looks like the output on the VT-4 is -10dB unbalanced, so you shouldn't need a pad for that application.

Thanks for the reply dude. I’m not familiar with this terminology and I want to make sure I get the right part. The passive boxes and inline adapters I have seen have varying amounts of attenuation. How can I determine what degree of attenuation is required? I am really worried about damaging the VE-500’s input.

You won't damage the input. You might get distortion if the signal is too hot but it looks like the mic input on the VE-500 has a switch to set the expected input level, so you may not need any external attenuation at all. I use a Whirlwind Imp2 for this kind of thing but Whirlwind also makes a DI called Director, which has a -30dB pad. That would be more than enough to drop a hot line level signal to mic level.

Hm, ok. Right I haven't got the VT-4 yet, but as a test could I connect something else at line level to the VE-500 and turn its output right down, and gradually increase it to see how it sounds? I'm cool with just leaving the VT-4 set to its lowest output level, I can gain stage with the VE-500 and the mixer it's connected to.

Right, I was a brave boy :D I just quickly soldered up an XLR to 1/4" mono jack cable. I connected the jack end to my Microbrute, and the XLR to the mic in of the VE-500. The brute was on minimal volume. To my surprise the VE-500 handled it just fine, and I was able to increase the level of the brute and it did not distort. It also didn't actually increase the output level FROM the Boss, so I think there is some limiting going on on the input bus. Actually yeah this is probably part of the mic sensitivity/feedback limiting circuitry. So it would seem that a line level input to the VE-500 will be just fine and apparently not cause any distortion or damage! I'll bear the suggestion for the DI box in mind if I have any problems once the VT-4 arrives later this week. Thanks again man.

Just to follow up - the VT-4 has arrived and it works perfectly with the Boss using the line out from the VT-4 to the mic in of the Boss. I was getting really poor signal to noise ratio at first, and then when checking the input threshold on the Boss I realised I had phantom power enabled. I turned it off and it's all working perfectly. Live terrifying formant fuckery is a go.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”