W11 Beta's Up!

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think the only way to do this would be with a MIDI patch bay to block all the MIDI you don't want to pass on to the output. That seems to be the most explicit way to do it to me?

dRowAudio wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:00 pm The first MIDI note is an issue in two place:
1) If you have a plugin with latency on the track, we will be embarking on a plan to fix this in 2020
2) If you have plugins that don't like to receive an all-notes-off message in the same block as a note-on. These are bugs in the plugins and should be fixed by the plugin manufacturers
Can you add an option to disable the all notes off message then? It's really not necessary to send it while working on a track. Even when exporting the final mix, I would think that it's fine to skip it.

You're right that the plugins should be fixed, but if that's not going to happen then a user "get around plugin bug" option would make life so much easier.

Alternatively, add a Waveform plugin for "Filter all notes off" so that it can inserted on each problematic track.

Also related: Can you make the panic button send All Notes Off on every track? Sometimes I have a stuck note and pressing the panic button restarts the audio engine but the stuck notes continue.
i9-10980HK. Windows 10 (21H2). Komplete Audio 6. Studio One 5.4.1.

fromwithin wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:18 pm Also related: Can you make the panic button send All Notes Off on every track? Sometimes I have a stuck note and pressing the panic button restarts the audio engine but the stuck notes continue.
D'you not think you'll see this happen a lot more, if you turn off sending "All notes off", per your first request?
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

I'll take a look and see if it's possible to make this an option later this week.

Simply pressing stop on the transport will send an all-notes-off message to every plugin though, you can see this with the new MIDI monitor plugin in W11 (if you're testing that).

dRowAudio wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:52 am I think the only way to do this would be with a MIDI patch bay to block all the MIDI you don't want to pass on to the output. That seems to be the most explicit way to do it to me?
That definitely works 100% (once you figure it out). However, it does break the flow a bit (usability) by having to drag a plugin into the track (assuming no template), rather than clicking the output on the far right of a track, selecting the destination, and then being able to select the channel if MIDI. Or just having that available in the MIDI track properties.

Definitely a feature request, not a bug 😃

Separately, if a plugin once dismissed can't be edited again, is that the plugin or the sandbox (pluginboutique Scaler is one example)? I also definitely see how most plugins like to come back up in the lower left, still.

It's just that having a MIDI channel on an output is a bit ambiguous. What does selecting a channel mean? Does it filter the input so it only lets through messages on that channel? Or does it remap all incoming channels to that chosen channel? I can see arguments for both.
___
Tbh honest I've not seen the plugin window issue. I presume this is on Windows?

dRowAudio wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:49 pm It's just that having a MIDI channel on an output is a bit ambiguous. What does selecting a channel mean? Does it filter the input so it only lets through messages on that channel? Or does it remap all incoming channels to that chosen channel? I can see arguments for both.
___
Tbh honest I've not seen the plugin window issue. I presume this is on Windows?
FR: Think of it as integrating the plugin, maybe? I can see either a submenu for MIDI interfaces when selecting, where you can choose the MIDI channel, OR dividing the track destination box vertically (if the row is tall enough) after selecting a MIDI destination, where clicking that brings up a menu of midi channels, similar to the automation "+". Same effect as the plugin, less work and more in the workflow. Maybe. :D

Plugin window issue: yes, I'm on the latest version of Windows 10, running my display at 1440p. With the sandbox, several plugins, once dismissed, are permanently dismissed unless I remove and re-add them. Others just like to re-position themselves in the lower left, often half off the lower edge of the screen.

EDIT: The samples I tried using had a crazy bpm assigned to them, so the artifacting is Waveform trying to make them usable. In light of that, this is an issue with the samples, NOT Waveform.

Another seeming-bug: previewing samples from the Files menu plays them in "slow motion" and metallic-sounding. I tried matching the sample rate of the sample with my audio interface, but that had no effect. As of now, that feature is unusable for me.

I'm going back to Waveform 10 for now - primarily because of the plugin placement issue.
Last edited by vitocorleone123 on Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:09 amI'm going back to Waveform 10 for now - primarily because of the plugin placement issue.
W11 is in beta testing phase. That means it is not finished. That means the developers wants to know about issues. Users were warned not to use it for anything critical.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

jabe wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:52 am
vitocorleone123 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:09 amI'm going back to Waveform 10 for now - primarily because of the plugin placement issue.
W11 is in beta testing phase. That means it is not finished. That means the developers wants to know about issues. Users were warned not to use it for anything critical.
Yep. Nothing critical. The current beta build just isn't usable enough for me to continue with it. I'll try it again after the next update. :tu:

vitocorleone123 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:44 am
jabe wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:52 am
Yep. Nothing critical. The current beta build just isn't usable enough for me to continue with it. I'll try it again after the next update. :tu:
:tu:
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:09 am Another seeming-bug: previewing samples from the Files menu plays them in "slow motion" and metallic-sounding. I tried matching the sample rate of the sample with my audio interface, but that had no effect. As of now, that feature is unusable for me.

I'm going back to Waveform 10 for now - primarily because of the plugin placement issue.
What file are you previewing? It sounds like it's trying to slow it down a lot to get it to play at the Edit tempo. Does it have a BPM listed in the description when you load it?

Can anyone post how to use Chord Companion?
I tried putting it in front of a VST instrument (AAS Lounge Lizard) and got nothing. I put MIDI Monitor ahead of it and can see notes coming in. I put MIDI Monitor after it and nothing is coming out. I tried clicking on the Chord Companion pads and the its virtual keyboard.

The pads and the virtual keyboard in Chord Companion are offset by 1 octave. C2 on the virtual keyboard triggers the C3 pad. Is there a setting for this?
Thanks for any help.

dRowAudio wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:41 pm
vitocorleone123 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:09 am Another seeming-bug: previewing samples from the Files menu plays them in "slow motion" and metallic-sounding. I tried matching the sample rate of the sample with my audio interface, but that had no effect. As of now, that feature is unusable for me.

What file are you previewing? It sounds like it's trying to slow it down a lot to get it to play at the Edit tempo. Does it have a BPM listed in the description when you load it?
Ah ha! Yes. Yes it does. It's a crazy high bpm for some reason that it's detecting (600!), which explains why it's trying hard to slow things down. I think that'll solve that issue. I'll re-edit my original post about it to make that clear.

Steve Bolivar wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:45 pm Can anyone post how to use Chord Companion?
I tried putting it in front of a VST instrument (AAS Lounge Lizard) and got nothing. I put MIDI Monitor ahead of it and can see notes coming in. I put MIDI Monitor after it and nothing is coming out. I tried clicking on the Chord Companion pads and the its virtual keyboard.

The pads and the virtual keyboard in Chord Companion are offset by 1 octave. C2 on the virtual keyboard triggers the C3 pad. Is there a setting for this?
Thanks for any help.

Sadly, I cannot assist - completely unfathomable as far as I can tell!! I do wonder what if any explanation/manual update/tutorial videos will accompany the new features - might as well not exist if cannot be properly understood or used.

Return to “Tracktion”