The Wagtunes Corner

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic

What CD Would You Like To Hear Me Do?

Modern Pop (Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, etc.)
5%
Classic Rock (Stones, Beatles, Who, Zep)
5%
Prog Rock (Yes, Genesis, Kansas, etc.)
10%
Show Tunes Style (Sound Of Music, My Fair Lady, etc.)
3%
Country (Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, etc.)
2%
Disco (Bee Gees, Tramps, etc.)
14%
Metal (various sub genres)
9%
EDM (various sub genres)
14%
80s (various genres)
8%
Your Music Sucks. Please Stop Making It
30%

Total votes: 174

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bansaw wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:30 pm My Pickup...
Like the attempt at a Southern accent! Amusing light-hearted song. Like it.
If a good song tells a story, then I'll give this one high marks!
Liked the guitar instrumental. Fitted really well.
@3:14 a bit too much of an abrupt change for me.
Overall, really liked it. :tu:
Well, the song was done on a dare and wasn't meant to be taken seriously at all. Ironically, the person who dared me to do it, never commented on it. Oh well. LOL.

Anyway, thanks for the listen and the feedback.

donkey tugger wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:10 pm I've got no problem with the distortion, just think that it doesn't always come off - song is a bit too 'nice' for it with the little lead guitar flourishes etc. I always think that for this type of sound you need a bit more evil intent, e.g. like this (which I'm sure they wrote about vurt... :hihi: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E86gWQs-ios
Yeah, that's my problem. I can only get so evil. The really hard stuff isn't in me. But thanks for the listen and the feedback DT. Really appreciate it.

i really like this. the lyrics and the melody are great, and the slightly robotic interpolation in the vocals has a cool effect. do you have any idea if vocaloid works in reason (if that is what you are using)?

r1381 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:19 am
i really like this. the lyrics and the melody are great, and the slightly robotic interpolation in the vocals has a cool effect. do you have any idea if vocaloid works in reason (if that is what you are using)?
Wow, a comment on the first track. You must be new to this thread. LOL. Really appreciate the listen and feedback.

As to your question, yes, I am using Vocaloid. The version I am using only works in Cubase but there are other versions that should work in Reason.

wagtunes wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:33 am
donkey tugger wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:10 pm I've got no problem with the distortion, just think that it doesn't always come off - song is a bit too 'nice' for it with the little lead guitar flourishes etc. I always think that for this type of sound you need a bit more evil intent, e.g. like this (which I'm sure they wrote about vurt... :hihi: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E86gWQs-ios
Yeah, that's my problem. I can only get so evil. The really hard stuff isn't in me. But thanks for the listen and the feedback DT. Really appreciate it.
thanks for the backup there mate :cry:

:hihi:

14th track from my upcoming CD "2020"

I had to do an anthem for church so I decided to make that my next track for this CD. I could not spend a lot of time on the production because I'm on a deadline but I did the best I could under the circumstances.

It's A Brand New Day

If you feel sad and gloomy
There's no need to pout
The Lord he says come on to me
Let me hear you shout

It's a brand new day
The Lord is shining down on me
It's a brand new day
The Lord is gonna set you free
So get your feet alive and kicking
No time to lose the clock is ticking
It's a brand new day
It's a brand new day

If you feel worn and weary
Help is sure to come
The Lord he says children hear me
Listen to my son

Repeat Chorus

Leave the old day behind
Follow God and you will find

Repeat Chorus

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... nd-new-day

Wow, that was easy listening.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

The Noodlist wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:53 pm Wow, that was easy listening.
Yeah, pretty much. :lol:

15th track from my upcoming CD "2020"

Back to putting in the time and effort on these. This one was a royal pain to get the mix just right.

Monsters In My Meat Loaf

Piece of cake so they say
Doesn't matter anyway
Craziness is here to stay
I'm insane

Look at me driving blind
Try so hard to unwind
Tranquil peace I can't find
In my brain

And here I live inside this hell of mine
The days are long the nights are so unkind
Monsters in my meat loaf
And pancakes in my soup
This breakdown all because of you

Nuts and bolts So I am
Do the best that I can
Looney bin not a fan
But I try

Pop my cork had to come
Lose my marbles one by one
Turn me over cause I'm done
Yeah I'm fried

Repeat Chorus

It has to end real soon
Before my head does swoon
Keep hearing this warped tune
Come visit me this June

Instrumental Break

Repeat Chorus

Outro

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... -meat-loaf

wagtunes wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:17 pm 14th track from my upcoming CD "2020"

I had to do an anthem for church so I decided to make that my next track for this CD. I could not spend a lot of time on the production because I'm on a deadline but I did the best I could under the circumstances.

It's A Brand New Day

If you feel sad and gloomy
There's no need to pout
The Lord he says come on to me
Let me hear you shout

It's a brand new day
The Lord is shining down on me
It's a brand new day
The Lord is gonna set you free
So get your feet alive and kicking
No time to lose the clock is ticking
It's a brand new day
It's a brand new day

If you feel worn and weary
Help is sure to come
The Lord he says children hear me
Listen to my son

Repeat Chorus

Leave the old day behind
Follow God and you will find

Repeat Chorus

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... nd-new-day
Wow.....In 2004 I did a track of a similar title...4 years ago I posted it on SoundCloud. I was still doing my positivity thang....spiritual but not religious. That whole God, Jesus, Lord thing is a total turn off. There ain't no heaven...there ain't no hell...listen to me people I got a story to tell.
https://soundcloud.com/karma_tba/a-brand-new-day
If you want to check the lyrics you'll have to listen.

On Monsters and Meatloaf...I think you got a good clean mix for sure. It sounds full and rich.

The guitars sound a little distant. And the bass is lost in the richness...but this is not necessarily a bad thing. Too much bass line in this would not work.

Good work!

thejonsolo wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:07 pm On Monsters and Meatloaf...I think you got a good clean mix for sure. It sounds full and rich.

The guitars sound a little distant. And the bass is lost in the richness...but this is not necessarily a bad thing. Too much bass line in this would not work.

Good work!
I went about a whole different way of mixing this because the vocals were getting hopelessly lost unless I cranked them up so much that my SPAN was pinning the mids. So I essentially processed this like a 60s pop mix and threw the whole backing track into the background, cutting the bass off at 70 hz and thinning everything else out as much as I could without making it sound like tissue paper.

Tough doesn't even begin to describe what I went through just to get this to sound this good.

Anyway, thanks for the listen and the feedback. It is very much appreciated.

Listened to several of your songs and am suitably impressed. You really have a mastery of the melodic. Overall the songs seem perfect for a Disney animation. Mostly I love that you actually write complete songs. That seems to be a lost art.

re: monsters
I think your mixing has really improved a whole lot. I'm not a mixing expert and still have improvements to go myself, but I can see a positive difference.
The voice even sounds pretty good on this. You normally give your voice a kind of radio band-EQ, but this vox sounds pretty good.
I can hear some ELO in there, e.g. 2:01. (I am a huge ELO fan.)
I'm also a sucker for a guitar solo.
I think this is a really good song. Well done, sir.

Bansaw wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:56 pm re: monsters
I think your mixing has really improved a whole lot. I'm not a mixing expert and still have improvements to go myself, but I can see a positive difference.
The voice even sounds pretty good on this. You normally give your voice a kind of radio band-EQ, but this vox sounds pretty good.
I can hear some ELO in there, e.g. 2:01. (I am a huge ELO fan.)
I'm also a sucker for a guitar solo.
I think this is a really good song. Well done, sir.
Thanks for the listen and the feedback. But you know what? Give jonsolo a lot of the credit. He opened up my eyes to so many of the "mistakes" I was making. He has probably made the biggest difference in my mixes and arrangements in many years. And listen to HIS stuff. Now THAT'S some great writing, mixing and arranging.

I just wish he wrote more. :lol:

Return to “Music Cafe”