Can we get a like button here?

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

highkoo wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:00 am Go read the first couple OP in this thread.
I cant believe this is real.
What are humans.
Given that was me I’d like to hear more of your thoughts then.

How does “liking” ones comment about a friend buying a new synth make either of us not human? Should I instead a) ignore that post (seems a bit rude); b) reply with a smily (in which case you then immediately have a full page of stupid emojis); or c) simply click the like button.

Honestly if anybody is sitting behind their keyboard wanking themselves dry over their like count then I’m completely lost for words.

I can see how this is possible with teens focused on attention and self-worth (ie Facebook) but I think we’re a little more mature here right? Look at GS which is the same industry/hobby and same demographic, it works very well there.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:58 am but I think we’re a little more mature here right?
Speak for yourself. :scared:

donkey tugger wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:06 am
Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:58 am but I think we’re a little more mature here right?
Speak for yourself. :scared:
Emphasis on a little :hihi:

Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:58 am
highkoo wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:00 am Go read the first couple OP in this thread.
What are humans.

How does “liking” ones comment about a friend buying a new synth make either of us not human? Should I instead a) ignore that post (seems a bit rude); b) reply with a smily (in which case you then immediately have a full page of stupid emojis); or c) simply click the like button.

Honestly if anybody is sitting behind their keyboard wanking themselves dry over their like count then I’m completely lost for words.

I can see how this is possible with teens focused on attention and self-worth (ie Facebook) but I think we’re a little more mature here right? Look at GS which is the same industry/hobby and same demographic, it works very well there.

how does it benefit kvr or its users?

oh look, 8 ppl liked that post.... and?
oh look, 8 ppl didn't like that post.... and?
can ppl not read a post and then comment or ignore?

just adds to the wash of the anonymous bullying/trolling culture

The "blessings" of "social" media. :P
Last edited by chk071 on Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Or pots calling kettles names.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:53 am Or pots calling kettles names.
Or kettles secretly calling pots names.
That's the part I'm not into, feeding passive aggressive behavior is much worse IMO than dealing with someone who argues about everything.

Personally, I'm with the folk who think that the dislike button should be dropped.

A 'like' is equivalent to a '+1', albeit easier, and less space hogging. But if you dislike something, it either warrants just ignoring, or would be better served by an explanation, rather than just expressing dislike. Removing the dislike option gets rid of the bullying/trolling aspect.

BONES wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:29 am
machinesworking wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:11 amYou're admitting sometimes you learn from other people, yet it's an accident if you do. OK?
The accident would be theirs, as most people seem to be terrified of explaining anything in sufficient detail that someone else might actually be able to take it on board. A lot of that, I'm sure, is a lack of confidence that they are doing anything worth telling others about, yet that doesn't seem to translate to admitting that it might not be the best way and looking to improve themselves or their processes.
I think that's a matter of fear more than anything else, some people don't like to argue, some people don't have a huge vocabulary and still like X synth better than Y, they just aren't as capable as you of defending their decisions online.

In my case in terms of our recent discussion about DAWs I don't see any reason to recruit people to my "side". At this time, Bitwig and DP10 are vastly different DAWs, and the time I spend with them makes me appreciate that. You can create great music on a Fender or a Gibson, they're both guitars, but the tone is different, and to the musician that's worth the difference. Some people own one guitar some own a dozen. :shrug:

Grrr. Double.
Last edited by Mushy Mushy on Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

AnX wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:29 am
Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:58 am
What are humans.

how does it benefit kvr or its users?

oh look, 8 ppl liked that post.... and?
oh look, 8 ppl didn't like that post.... and?
can ppl not read a post and then comment or ignore?

just adds to the wash of the anonymous bullying/trolling culture
Let me give a live example.

Somebody was recently sick in the pissed off thread and another member replied saying they hope they get better.

I could either not say anything (despite wishing them well), reply with a smily (hate them with a passion) or reply with a +1 which just pollutes the thread unnecessarily.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:20 am Personally, I'm with the folk who think that the dislike button should be dropped.

A 'like' is equivalent to a '+1', albeit easier, and less space hogging. But if you dislike something, it either warrants just ignoring, or would be better served by an explanation, rather than just expressing dislike. Removing the dislike option gets rid of the bullying/trolling aspect.
What often happens is a site gets both buttons. Then, a few weeks later, there is only one...

Gamma-UT wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:55 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:20 am Personally, I'm with the folk who think that the dislike button should be dropped.

What often happens is a site gets both buttons. Then, a few weeks later, there is only one...
I made a similar comment before the system ate my post :x

There are a couple of members here who have a travelling fanclub ready to pounce on every post. I can envisage many immediate dislikes for these people so it would be great if the names are visible. Better still, it would be great if anybody on an ignore list was unable to like/dislike, although that may be too complex for the system.

machinesworking wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:18 am
revvy wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:53 am Or pots calling kettles names.
Or kettles secretly calling pots names.
That's the part I'm not into, feeding passive aggressive behavior is much worse IMO than dealing with someone who argues about everything.
True.

I'm against it but must admit I have given a few votes out today for the lulz and novelty value. Right, now I've confessed to that I will stop.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:04 am
Gamma-UT wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:55 am

I made a similar comment before the system ate my post :x

There are a couple of members here who have a travelling fanclub ready to pounce on every post. I can envisage many immediate dislikes for these people so it would be great if the names are visible. Better still, it would be great if anybody on an ignore list was unable to like/dislike, although that may be too complex for the system.
No! That would be really UN-great! Like many have suggested, it's just throwing more fuel on fires. And that's the last thing this forum needs.

Return to “Site Stuff”