Can we get a like button here?

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Gamma-UT wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:55 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:20 am Personally, I'm with the folk who think that the dislike button should be dropped.

A 'like' is equivalent to a '+1', albeit easier, and less space hogging. But if you dislike something, it either warrants just ignoring, or would be better served by an explanation, rather than just expressing dislike. Removing the dislike option gets rid of the bullying/trolling aspect.
What often happens is a site gets both buttons. Then, a few weeks later, there is only one...
As long as a few weeks? :scared:

BONES wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:48 am It does my head in that people can only look at this in one way. To me, a like or dislike count tells anyone who reads a post whether or not people agree with it.
All it tells is that some anonymous person clicked the button for reasons unknown. You get forum 'mates' liking each other's posts irrespective of the content, and you get people with grudges and people with multiple accounts (of which there are some on here) disliking posts just because of who posted them, or to try and make the posters think their opinion is more unpopular than it really is.

I've seen two forums implement this function and then relent by removing the dislike button, because each time it was very unpopular and people took advantage of the anonymity to abuse it.

Gearslutz got it right: only have a like button, and show the names of people who clicked it.

Just wondering:
-- How much of a post do I need to agree/disagree with, in order to like / dislike it?
-- If I like or dislike a post can I change my mind later?
-- And, if the poster edits a post are the count reset to 0?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:32 pm -- How much of a post do I need to agree/disagree with, in order to like / dislike it?
It's not law.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

One thing I just noticed: using this button to dislike somebody's music just isn't cricket and is extremely bad form IMO.
Constructive criticism is a very different thing entirely and recommended.

I really think a single "Thanks" button would be more appropriate.

Yay. Now we have two extra controls crammed into the UI and NO buttons at all (no bevels or boxes on the symbols to make them clear targets).
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:38 pm One thing I just noticed: using this button to dislike somebody's music just isn't cricket and is extremely bad form IMO.
now you see the issues of the dislike.
its not so bad on posts maybe "oh nine people dislike my creme brulee recipe oh well"
but on our music, or devs releasing synths/fx it can for some be soul destroying, but even for those who dont care so much, its not helpful if i dont know why you dislike it?

i imagine if i look at a certain thread, there will be the beginnings of the worst of it...

vurt wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:46 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:38 pm One thing I just noticed: using this button to dislike somebody's music just isn't cricket and is extremely bad form IMO.
now you see the issues of the dislike.
its not so bad on posts maybe "oh nine people dislike my creme brulee recipe oh well"
but on our music, or devs releasing synths/fx it can for some be soul destroying, but even for those who dont care so much, its not helpful if i dont know why you dislike it?

i imagine if i look at a certain thread, there will be the beginnings of the worst of it...
I wasn't oblivious to it before, it's just a shame there are a few nasty people out there.

And yep, thats the one.

have you not been here long?

its like mos eisley bro :o

vurt wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:51 pm have you not been here long?

its like mos eisley bro :o
True, but I also think most of us are able to brush off a few dislikes.

most of us have flown the kessel run a few times.
we do have some naive farm boys onboard.

looks like ive upset bones at some point :o
wonder if it was the spider pic?
or when i called him a toy soldier?

vurt wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:55 pm most of us have flown the kessel run a few times.
we do have some naive farm boys onboard.
Maybe the feature can be turned off on the threads of the padawans.

vurt wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:56 pm looks like ive upset bones at some point :o
wonder if it was the spider pic?
or when i called him a toy soldier?
I noticed that :hihi:

Toy Soldier? He’s Martika?

Return to “Site Stuff”