Getting tired of synthesizers.

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can we do a software hack Jace BeOS-
I could work with the 16 MIDI channels,
that would give 16 poly
just a stupid half thought
--how is it done?

cheers HYnix

Jace-BeOS wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:11 pm
Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:41 pm
AngelCityOutlaw wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:33 pm
V0RT3X wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:35 pm Anyone else getting tired of the bleep bloop, sounds of synthesizers??
I've been fairly tired of them for years now, and for the same reasons.

Synths just simply can't match the human touch and expression of acoustic instruments.
This was some 20 years ago the reason why I lost interest in synthesizers. Since 3 years that changed completely because I got a LinnStrument. Since then the world has changed, and I get more musical expression out of synths than of anything else...
I agree with this line of reasoning... I just wish I could afford to risk my extremely limited funds on one of the several MPE controllers currently being marketed...
The entry is maybe easier than you might think. I recently got a Sensel Morph and morphed it into a LinnStrument mini for those occasions where the original is too big to carry. There are some problems though, support is not really happening. But it is expressive in the best sense, I would prefer it over any variant of a Seaboard and even a Continuum...
And nobody can beat the support of Roger Linn!
This was my best investment since years. It triggered some gas though...; - )

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:28 pm
Jace-BeOS wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:11 pm
V0RT3X wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:35 pm Anyone else getting tired of the bleep bloop, sounds of synthesizers??

Synths just simply can't match the human touch and expression of acoustic instruments.
This was some 20 years ago the reason why I lost interest in synthesizers. Since 3 years that changed completely because I got a LinnStrument. Since then the world has changed, and I get more musical expression out of synths than of anything else...
I agree with this line of reasoning... I just wish I could afford to risk my extremely limited funds on one of the several MPE controllers currently being marketed...
The entry is maybe easier than you might think. I recently got a Sensel Morph and morphed it into a LinnStrument mini for those occasions where the original is too big to carry. There are some problems though, support is not really happening.
Was that supposed to be encouraging? :lol:
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Only if money is the part which holds you back, you could go the Sensel route. It does work and and I have a lot of fun. Big slides in my design are off (other designs are fine and short slides are manageable), and bluetooth Midi has problems with stuck notes. A connection with a cable does not have that problem. I can live with it, but it could be better. I don’t hold my breath that those problems will be solved soon (the company seems to have a bigger non-musical focus).
There are other cheaper options as well, but I really don’t want anything which is still sticking to the traditional keyboard paradigm...

VORT3X, I don't know you but I read this thread and you comments in another thread on here, to which I also relate (2/2) ...

Additionally, I got bored with synths too and also needed something to take me away from the computer in connection with music making. I have found a proper physical instrument - bass in my case, so useful for electronic music too - has re-sparked my interest in music and is a wonderful physical interaction with music. Takes me out of myself like nothing else can at the moment.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

I actually love using synthesizers to imitate the sound of and replace permanently on my tracks different acoustic instruments. Unless it’s ukulele, guitar, piano, or melodica, I can use synth or drum machine.
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

V0RT3X wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:35 pm :hihi: I imagine this topic will earn me mortal enemies here on KVR, but still..

Never thought I'd say it, but I'm getting kind of bored of synthesizers. I still like them, but just maybe need to take a break from them and focus more on sampling and recording.

I'm starting to get more drawn to the sounds of real recorded instruments and samplers.

Anyone else getting tired of the bleep bloop, sounds of synthesizers??

Well, I should say that's only half the reason.

One of the other reasons I've mostly left synths is for the same reasons I've left electronic instruments (like electric guitars) in general: Too much timbrel variety.

Every minute you're screwing around with knobs, filters, presets, pedals, amps, etc. is time spent not making music.

What exactly does a synthesizer sound like? It's impossible for any one sound to come to mind for everyone. Same with the electric guitar. There's a million kinds of distorted and clean tones and tones which are or aren't genre appropriate. For every 10 tones, there seem to be 9 bad ones; at least to my ears.

On my Roxette cover, which got a lot of positive reception, I spent probably most of the time trying to get the guitars to sound right or even "good" to me. I'm still not satisfied with it, and I came to the conclusion that I obviously just didn't have the right pickups (single coils) and such for the tone I was after; I couldn't seem to find out exactly what they even used on the Look Sharp album. So while the guitars wound up still working for the cover, I'm still not satisfied with them. They're just not as good as what Roxette used.

Every serious guitarist and synthnut is basically a hoarder so that they'll have access to as many combinations as possible and they're constantly searching for "the best tone". I don't like hoarding or spending insane amounts of money and all that shit is just exhausting.

With acoustic instruments, you always know what they'll sound like provided you're using any halfway decent instrument. You always know what a violin, classical guitar, tin whistle, etc. will sound like, and any well-built instrument will sound good — in terms of timbre, they will suffice for any kind of music written for that instrument.

Saves a lot of time and money.

I’m the total opposite of the last two KVRists. I don’t care for imitative synthesis at all (i barely even care about emulations of hardware synthesizers.) If i want an ‘acoustic’ sound i’ll use samples or if possible and better yet try to get the instrument (and) player. I do love to make synthesizers sound 3 dimensional like acoustic things but acoustic things not heard yet on this planet.
I love the variety of electronic sounds. Electric bass guitar through a heap of fx, my custom modular bass synth effector, weird amps, speakers and more. Synthesizers, hard or soft. Acoustic sounds with “treatments” all of it.
That said i backed up a vocalist, loop, fx person on a rock and a stick at a festival gig last year. I guess i love it all (sound!)
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

AngelCityOutlaw wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:50 am
Well, I should say that's....

One of the other reasons I've mostly left synths is for the same reasons I've left electronic instruments (like electric guitars) in general: Too much timbrel variety.
Every minute you're screwing around with knobs, filters, presets, pedals, amps, etc. is time spent not making music.
What exactly does a synthesizer sound like? It's impossible for any one sound to come to mind for everyone. Same with the electric guitar. There's a million kinds of distorted and clean tones and tones which are or aren't genre appropriate. For every 10 tones, there seem to be 9 bad ones; at least to my ears.

On my Roxette cover, which got a lot of... as what Roxette used.

Every serious guitarist and synthnut is basically a hoarder so that they'll have access to as many combinations as possible and they're constantly searching for "the best tone". I don't like hoarding or spending insane amounts of money and all that shit is just exhausting.
Not sure where you get that notion. I know personally, and here on KVRaudio, people who use very minimal setups.
With acoustic instruments, you always know what they'll sound like provided you're using any halfway decent instrument. You always know what a violin, classical guitar, tin whistle, etc. will sound like, and any well-built instrument will sound good — in terms of timbre, they will suffice for any kind of music written for that instrument.

Not trying to be contentious at all (just curious) but, why are you a member here?
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:21 pm Only if money is the part which holds you back, ...
That is the only reason i don’t have a Linnstrument or a Continuum. :(

CrystalWizard wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:10 amNot sure where you get that notion. I know personally, and here on KVRaudio, people who use very minimal setups.
20 years of electric guitar and playing with bands and stuff.
Not trying to be contentious at all (just curious) but, why are you a member here?
Forum isn't limited to synths and electric guitars.

AngelCityOutlaw wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:50 am (like electric guitars) in general: Too much timbrel variety.

That's the beauty of 'em though, for me. Whilst I love my acoustic guitars, acoustic bass, mandolin etc (not ukulele though - that's shite...), sometimes you can't beat a bit of f**king around on an electric through some effects to get some ideas.

Variety being the spice of life and all that malarky...

AngelCityOutlaw wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:50 amEvery serious guitarist and synthnut is basically a hoarder
This is just not true. In fact, to the best of my knowledge, it’s more the other way around, for serious guitarists at least. Of course, synths are a bit special that way, in that they’re meant to be very complex instruments, right from the start, built for sound creation as well as playing. Why get into synths at all unless you want your life complicated, lol. :hihi:

With acoustic instruments, you always know what they'll sound like provided you're using any halfway decent instrument.

(. . .)

Sorry to break it to you, but halfway decent acoustic instruments are horrifically expensive.

Getting into acoustic instruments of quality is not a sane way of saving money. And that’s without microphones to suit, etc.

Also, good luck learning to play them excellently in a short time. So there goes saving time.

AngelCityOutlaw wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:02 am
CrystalWizard wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:10 amNot sure where you get that notion. I know personally, and here on KVRaudio, people who use very minimal setups.
20 years of electric guitar and playing with bands and stuff.
Maybe too small of a sample set?
Forum isn't limited to synths and electric guitars.
Cool. :tu: Maybe i’ve just concentrated on electric stuff, i should dig around here some more.

V0RT3X wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:35 pm :hihi: I imagine this topic will earn me mortal enemies here on KVR, but still..

Never thought I'd say it, but I'm getting kind of bored of synthesizers. I still like them, but just maybe need to take a break from them and focus more on sampling and recording.

I'm starting to get more drawn to the sounds of real recorded instruments and samplers.

Anyone else getting tired of the bleep bloop, sounds of synthesizers??
Not necessarily tired but it's nice to have a couple of guitars, basses, different hand drums, whistles, harmonica etc etc and record them, instead of samples or synthetic sounds.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”