E-MU 1616m, 1212m, 1820m, 0404 Audio Interface - Complete Windows 10 (1903 & Above) Installation Guide

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thank you, you bloody beautiful people. :tu: :clap:

Hello !
Unfortunately I have try this but keep fail on inatalation EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA
Mesaage apear : "Setup is unable to detect a supported product on your system setup will exit"
I have Emu 0404 USB what I doo wrong ?

skada wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:41 am Another note of thanks. This worked like a charm w/ the Windows 10 1909 update.
Hi...

I am still using win7 so I haven't had to go through all these procedures ...

However, some installs seem to need some what different variations. This is the original thread that dealt with the problems...

have a read through from this page and see what problems others had and how they solved them...

I hope you find a solution some where inside.
Best of luck.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=371831&start=180

Hello to everyone.

I have an E-mu 1212m card. At December I built a new pc with win 10 and after installation of ClubHouseKey the card worked perfectly. Before 10 days I had to transfer my pc to another place. After then I have problem with my card. It seems that I have sound at Wave Channel (peek meter show that) but no output sound is listen. I was recorded, with Audacity, the output sound using the Wave channel. Now, did not recorded anything.

I tried to unistall and reinstall the drivers of the card, nothing changed. Also I try to reinstall win 10, version 1909 and then the drivers, but still the same. No output sound.

Do anyone can advice something? Why after I unplugged my pc from the power, for some hours, my card do not work properly?

I would just like to echo the sentiments over eveyone else that this has helped and thank you gentleman for some truly great work. This got my card back up and working (after a few tries) and I am back in the making music business.

Hi,

I just got an EMU 1820 , and I followed the step by step instructions to install it on a win10 x64.
Everything goes well, I changed the name in the script file as well, so no red lines.

By the end of the whole process, i have no sound at all.
all leds are on at the same time on the deck (or whatever it called).
on the right corner everything on shining yellow. no blink no flashing, just permanently on.
Midi Clock SMPTE
1 lck 44.1 96 IN
2 ext 48 192 OUT

maybe stupid, but u can see what i mean.

when i start to play music on yt on anywhere, i can see the colorbar moving , like there is no problem at all. Windows also recognize it on the device list. so everything looks perfect, except no sound come out from headphone (or other i tried)

has anyone have any idea? im stuck with this for 4 days now. install, reinstall.

please help.

thank you

@completenooooob

i had this "all lights on" problem , nothing helped . in my case: i tried a normal RJ45 cable because the Emu edi cable was stretched at the end so this could be a loose contact. So that Problem was gone, but sometimes the problem is back when computer awakens from standby.Even better is a shielded RJ45 cable, but not longer than 3 meters.

Sounds like you might need a cap job on the board. Usually the all lights on is an indicator of this. I have had three 1820m audio docks and they all eventually had this same issue. Once the caps are replaced, they work perfectly.
completenoooob wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:09 pm Hi,

I just got an EMU 1820 , and I followed the step by step instructions to install it on a win10 x64.
Everything goes well, I changed the name in the script file as well, so no red lines.

By the end of the whole process, i have no sound at all.
all leds are on at the same time on the deck (or whatever it called).
on the right corner everything on shining yellow. no blink no flashing, just permanently on.
Midi Clock SMPTE
1 lck 44.1 96 IN
2 ext 48 192 OUT

maybe stupid, but u can see what i mean.

when i start to play music on yt on anywhere, i can see the colorbar moving , like there is no problem at all. Windows also recognize it on the device list. so everything looks perfect, except no sound come out from headphone (or other i tried)

has anyone have any idea? im stuck with this for 4 days now. install, reinstall.

please help.

thank you

Hi, I just went through the tricky methods, and it works..BUT..
If I'd like to record anything with my emu1820m, I have to set EMU asio, if I'd like to hear anything(on output), I have to switch to wdm driver. So the two things won't work simultaneously in any sound editor software. Either record or listen. Not at the same time.
If I'm inserting direct monitor to wave1/2 in e-mu patchmix, the sound and the recording is working at the same time but any other audio player on the pc.
Any idea?

Thanks guys

Dear Sherwoodsound: I followed your instructions on my friend's Windows 10 machine with a 1616m and it worked like a charm. Later, when tried it on my own Windows 10 machine, I can't seem to perform step 4. When I run the beta driver installer, it says I already have the current drivers. I can't figure out how to get rid of them and when I run the PowerShell script it fails, unable to find the E-MU E-DSP Classic Wave driver. Does anyone have any ideas?

Hi and thanks for the guide. Just bought the 1010 pci card and the 1616m dock. I get really loud pops once in a while. Not often, but like once every 1-2 minutes. It's just one or too short, loud pop. They don't sound like buffer size related crackle and it doesn't matter wether I play audio from Live 9 (ASIO) or some YT vid.

The main mix volume in EMU patchmix doesn't effect the volume of the pops. They seem to be equally loud. Don't think they show on the meters too. Have been listening in headphones for a couple of minutes now, and there are some pops, but they aren't nearly as loud.

I have two Cat 5 cables I use with my router, and I've tried those, but then I get random lights when I power on the dock. (Tried without EDI cable to the dock, and that also results in random lights turned on each time I power on.)

Is this ye olde caps needing to be replaced problem? Or is it mostly related to 1820m?

Best regards

The following is a crosspost of a post I made in this related thread:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=371831&start=180

Here to report another success story and give my heartfelt thanks for a real solution! Thought making this post might help more lost souls who are on the fence about their E-MU or trying the procedures suggested in this thread. I'm yet another person who registered to KVR specifically to make a post in this thread. That's how good it is.

System:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, version 1909 (as of this post)
E-MU 1820m
10 input / 8 output at 48k
Reaper DAW

Installed the latest big Windows update (1909), and lo and behold the dreaded "You don't appear to have sufficient E-MU hardware..." message. Googled it and found this thread.

Firstly, HUGE thank you to ClubHouseKey for presenting the original solution that has saved us all (or at least most). Thank you for your work and knowledge and sharing it freely with us. This stuff is mostly over my head, and without the selfless geeks of the internet like you, I wouldn't be able to produce music. Period.

Secondly, thank you to sherwoodsound for sharing a streamlined process. (This thread you're reading.) These are the instructions I ended up following with success. Made everything manageable for me, and for that I'm grateful.

Finally, thanks to rootsandculture and tobra for the idea to edit the script with the correct device name. (Script file is “EMU_Driver_Fix.ps1” included in sherwoodsound's download.) First time I ran the Powershell commands, it gave me an error that the name “E-MU E-DSP Audio Processor (WDM)” wasn't recognized.

The name had to be changed in two places, at the top and bottom of the script. The default name in the script is “E-MU E-DSP Audio Processor (WDM)”. My system had the device listed as “E-MU E-DSP” under Sound, video and game controllers in Device Manager. Changing the device name in the script to my system's name for it and going through the process from the beginning again yielded an error free result.

And much to my surprise, shock even, and delight, I am running my beloved E-MU on Windows 10 v1909, error free once again! :hyper: :phones: :clap:

Now I'm even wondering if that “ha10kx2k.sys DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL” blue screen I experience occasionally will go away too...? Hey, a guy can dream. Either way, I know the value of these incredible little units. I will echo the many that say it's such a shame the company dropped them. I'm so grateful to you all for helping us less knowledgeable folks keep these beauties running as long as possible. Here's to another 15 years!

Crosses fingers and holds breath every time there's a new update
Last edited by Easy_Does_It on Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It brings me no joy to report that I may have spoken too soon.
- Within one day, several computer freezes.
- Then the return of "You don't appear to have sufficient E-MU hardware..." message.
- Then another freeze mid-installation when attempting the fix again.
- Now I'm getting "You have previously installed drivers without rebooting" message when attempting to install. Many reboots later, it seems that Windows is still hanging onto a portion of the drivers, without actually showing any device there in device manager.

So... I'll research fully uninstalling these things, and IF I can do that, I'll try once more to implement the fix. But at this point, I feel like I have little to no choice but to finally upgrade my beloved audio interface. Ugh! I was really hoping I could hang on longer, but I've come to realize my time is worth more, and I'm doing this to make music, not troubleshoot 10-15 year old unsupported technology. This is after years of cutting my teeth learning audio recording with this unit. It is with great reluctance that I coming to accept this inevitable change. I am going to sincerely miss this little powerful piece of gear for sure.

I felt obligated to share the ugly truth after my previous gushing post, to keep the knowledge flowing. But I will say that my gratitude to all the people working to help us out still stands strong! Thanks so much friends for your generous help anyway.

Edit: I was able to implement the fix again. The trick was to run the first driver install as administrator. I am now back up and running at the moment, but I am wary of the next freeze. I will come back to report my results after some time of running again. We'll see if this lasts!

Firstly thanks to the original poster and developer of the fix.

My 1820m on Windows 10 works great for a week or so, but eventually I am presented with the "You don't appear to have sufficient E-MU hardware..." message upon boot.

It seems as though the Windows installation eventually undos the work of the script and it reverts back to not working.

Has anyone managed to get the fix to be more reliable?

Steve

Unread post Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:08 am

Firstly thanks to the original poster and developer of the fix.

My 1820m on Windows 10 works great for a week or so, but eventually I am presented with the "You don't appear to have sufficient E-MU hardware..." message upon boot.

It seems as though the Windows installation eventually undos the work of the script and it reverts back to not working.

Has anyone managed to get the fix to be more reliable?

Steve
Steve,

Your post begs this question: Did your Windows 10 machine get a recent update? Ever since Build 1903 (you can see your build level under "System"), Windows updates have been messing with the Emu driver for these interfaces. So, if subsequent to your most recent 1820 "fix" you had a Windows update, that may very well be the cause of the problem.

The other question is: Did you install the Emu patch using the _0018 X-Fi driver files or the _0019 X-Fi driver files? Many have had to use the latter - the more recent X-Fi drivers to overcome the most recent Windows build update.

I do believe there is a way to make a setting to tell Windows not to update a specific driver. I haven't done it yet so I can't tell you the step by step process but a Google search should yield details. Locking the driver for your Emu card once you have it working again might be your answer. That is until or unless your Windows updates again and something in it requires an even newer set of X-Fi driver files to fix it once again. In which case, postponing Windows updates is another setting to possibly pursue.

And of course none of these measures would be necessary if Creative would continue to support these interfaces directly or at least stop providing Microsoft with drivers that "break" our interfaces when it updates. But that is another topic...

Rawl

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”