[Intro pricing extended] Available now: T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

Bombadil wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:05 pm
Squids wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:37 pm
Bombadil wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:52 pm And a good part of the turn-off is the hyperbole and the hard-sell. So when I see things like 'hyper-realistic' and such bullshit, it turns me away. When I see the corporate minions get snippy when people push back that turns me away as well.

That said, I like T-RackS, and use it all the time. I tried the demo, think it is quite good, but not worth the asking price.

And thanks for the free Studer! :wheee:
Well, if price is the concern and you're not in a rush there are always opportunities that come up to get a great deal.

But, for what it's worth, I think it'd be a shame for anyone to be 'turned away' from people talking about a product or from what the product descriptions say etc. At the end of the day, and this is just my opinion, none of that should matter whatsoever. The product is part of your system and it either does it for you or not. And I say this as someone who offers a lot of opinions myself. Take it with a grain of salt and just explore. I'm sure you'll discover all kinds of things... like that you can get a free Studer once in awhile at least! ;)
I am always wary of marketing hyperbole. If a product is good, it doesn't need the hard-sell. My background is psychology, so I always see, in my mind, focus groups presented with a list of adjectives and told to report the ones that resonate most with them. That amounts to manipulation at the unconscious level. Hell, for all I know, this data can be bought from independent marketing agencies, rather than being done in-house. So, the more hyperbolic the description, the more I am turned off. If the product is 'all that,' then it should sell itself.
Did you ever think that just maybe the product description is not actually hyperbole or an exaggeration, and the plug-in actually sounds that good? I haven’t seen anything in the marketing videos by IK or anything in this thread that seems exaggerated.

I’ve been playing with the reverb across several of my current mixing projects and it does indeed sound fantastic and definitely worthy of the $149 intro offer considering you get multiple reverbs in one plugin. Just my 2 cents :phones:

I tried this & put it Vs. against one of my most used Reverb Units with a very long reverb-tail. My Tail is so much longer that there aint even a Competition. So I will just skip this one, because I am more than fine! I just love Ambience.

:tu:
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Bombadil wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:05 pm So, the more hyperbolic the description, the more I am turned off. If the product is 'all that,' then it should sell itself.
If products sold themselves there would never be a need for marketing and sales positions at companies. Unfortunately, most of the time it doesn't work that way in the commercial world. It can for some companies but usually that's boutique or independent smaller outfits or a product that happens to be one of the few out there that sells itself.

In any case, we're all different but when I am considering buying a product the main thing I care about is what it'll do for me. The rest is either interesting or not interesting but the marketing campaign has zero to do with my actual music making. They could say the product will give you wings (like Red Bull does) and it doesn't matter until I get wings myself.

SoftSynthLover99 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:12 pm
Did you ever think that just maybe the product description is not actually hyperbole or an exaggeration, and the plug-in actually sounds that good?
No.

I agree that it is a great sounding reverb. I'd buy it if it were in the €99 range as a normal price. I just bought an iPad Air, am waiting to pay for a guitar setup that includes a new saddle, so by the time I can get permission from my wife to get this, it will be the regular price. +VAT. That will be a non-starter. I wish everyone happiness and inspired recording with this product. As I've said, more than once, I like T-RackS. But I wouldn't own as many of the modules if it weren't for the group buys.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

El°HYM wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:19 pm I tried this & put it Vs. against one of my most used Reverb Units with a very long reverb-tail. My Tail is so much longer that there aint even a Competition. So I will just skip this one, because I am more than fine! I just love Ambience.

:tu:
The reverb tails in this plug-in would be as long as a real echo chamber or plate would do. It's not meant to do anything else. Other reverbs that aren't emulating things like a real echo chamber or plate would have longer tails but not sound like a real echo chamber or plate. So it's simply a trade off. If you love ambience this is another flavor of it.

Squids wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:39 pm
Bombadil wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:05 pm So, the more hyperbolic the description, the more I am turned off. If the product is 'all that,' then it should sell itself.
If products sold themselves there would never be a need for marketing and sales positions at companies. Unfortunately, most of the time it doesn't work that way in the commercial world. It can for some companies but usually that's boutique or independent smaller outfits or a product that happens to be one of the few out there that sells itself.

Sure, but the level of marketing is hyper-annoying to me. There are a number of small independent FX and instrument makers here who don't need a slick marketing campaign to sell their wares. If the products are good, word of mouth or user-examples are enough. I bought Hive because U-He has a good reputation. I am very pleased with it.

I know, I am very naive.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

SoftSynthLover99 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:12 pm Did you ever think that just maybe the product description is not actually hyperbole or an exaggeration, and the plug-in actually sounds that good? I haven’t seen anything in the marketing videos by IK or anything in this thread that seems exaggerated.

I’ve been playing with the reverb across several of my current mixing projects and it does indeed sound fantastic and definitely worthy of the $149 intro offer considering you get multiple reverbs in one plugin. Just my 2 cents :phones:
Well said. I think some people just get stuck on certain things mentally when really the best thing to do is cut to the chase and try it out for yourself. Each of us know if it's worth the money or not, especially when we get a chance to actually use it in our music. I love forums but I think sometimes we over-think things here and might be better off spending more time making the actual music we talk about. haha

Squids wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:24 pm
TheMaestro wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:01 pm And they wonder why IKM always gets in arguments...
Must be the forum members, right?
In some people's case, yes, and obviously it depends on their attitude. Some forum members are friendly and respectful and others are not. Which do you think you are?
I’m a realist.
IKM is the Olive Garden of the music industry, and here you’re their spokesperson. Enjoy that, but pipe down the hyperbole and don’t play the victim.

It’s been like this for years and years with IKM.
If you’re always in arguments, it’s probably not the rest of the world’s fault.
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

I see a hard cutoff, which is exactly what you'd expect from an IR without any feedback etc.
sssr-impulse-cutoff.PNG
I can get a pretty good null against IR, by the way. There's some kind of soft clipping in there as well, which kicks in when your peaks get to around -3 dB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

That's quite a strange spectral tail - seems to be in three distinct sections: First third being the decay shape I'd expect, then there's a brief period where the top end seems to be chopped off (losing whatever that high frequency harmonic is), and then another third with the final release-decay (with a sudden digital silence) ...

TheMaestro wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:51 pm
Squids wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:24 pm
TheMaestro wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:01 pm And they wonder why IKM always gets in arguments...
Must be the forum members, right?
In some people's case, yes, and obviously it depends on their attitude. Some forum members are friendly and respectful and others are not. Which do you think you are?
I’m a realist.
IKM is the Olive Garden of the music industry, and here you’re their spokesperson. Enjoy that, but pipe down the hyperbole and don’t play the victim.

It’s been like this for years and years with IKM.
If you’re always in arguments, it’s probably not the rest of the world’s fault.
That's not how the company is perceived by the music industry it's just how you think it is. No one is "always in arguments" either and no one "blames the rest of the world". But, if a discussion is unpleasant, as the ones I've had with you seem to be unfortunately, I would say it's because of your bad attitude. If you spoke in a more friendly and respectful way I'm sure the results would be different. It really appears that you just want to get away with some minor bashing and perhaps just crave some attention. Can you offer anything actually useful and positive to this thread or do you just have repeated criticisms to offer? And anyway if you think this way why would you even spend your time here if not just so you can get a few jabs in? If you think it's Olive Garden and you don't like Olive Garden why would you hang around at Olive Garden?

The irony is that this couldn't be further from the truth. Knowing the IK developers who are in Italy where the real Italian food is just absolutely incredible, they have much of the same pride, craftsmanship and perfectionism as the chefs do in their city of Modena and in Bologna and Milan.

imrae wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:52 pm I see a hard cutoff, which is exactly what you'd expect from an IR without any feedback etc.

sssr-impulse-cutoff.PNG

I can get a pretty good null against IR, by the way. There's some kind of soft clipping in there as well, which kicks in when your peaks get to around -3 dB
This wouldn't be definitive unless you also compared it to the real thing which I bet looks very similar. I'll be at Sunset Sound studio next week if we want to see and hear that.

You think the response of a real room could look like that?

After testing it, I must say: KUDOS to IK for this wonderful piece of software.

It's very, VERY good! I really like the tone of the whole package. It has a special character that I can't find on other reverb plugins. I have UAD OWS which is great, but almost never use it because of a bug that doesn't remember the settings used when I reload a session... But even OWS didn't give me that "characterful tone" feeling.

Now if you can release the modeled consoles separately, I'm all ears.

I'll wait for a sale to get SSSR, not that the intro price is expensive, but just that I can't afford it yet.

Well done!

imrae wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:05 pm You think the response of a real room could look like that?
I don't know it depends but probably yes because it sounds just like the room and I've been there... and I'll be there again and could do a test even though it's lower priority than actually listening to stuff IMO. To be realistic here as well, I don't really know too many audio engineers who spend so much time looking at graphs and thinking about it that way. They use their ears. If they like what they hear they use it. Sometimes to check certain things with analysis if it's needed but not to come to any conclusions about whether it sounds good. Looks can be deceiving and can also lead to assumptions. If anyone looked at an image and wrote it off without actually listening to it in musical context to hear the qualities of what it does themselves I'd feel sorry for them.

Return to “Effects”