Why you switched to Studio One?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

antic604 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:50 pm
AdvancedFollower wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:42 pmAlso, one automation lane can only be linked to one parameter in one plugin. unlike FL for example, which can control multiple things from one automation clip.
Why won't you use Macro Controls for that? :?
Sorry, but this wouldn´t be an option at all as Macros aren´t automatable at all and create lanes for all parameters linked to it...

This i.e. is a quite weak point of S1... macro controls are made really nice in S1 but everything automation related to macros is the worst implementation since the invention of computers... this is a point where Presonus badly badly failed...

Trancit wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:58 pmSorry, but this wouldn´t be an option at all as Macros aren´t automatable at all and create lanes for all parameters linked to it...
I know. But you can create automation lanes for all involved parameters and then just record yourself tweaking the Macro by hand or via MIDI controller. Sure, it's far from ideal but not a deal breaker.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

For me S1 has only become stable over the last couple of years, before that it would crash like a mofo. But it runs well now...

I'm not saying that it's definitively the best DAW or anything it's just my favorite.

What I really like:
Easy to use and good overall workflow.
Some great functionality, like event FX & the ability to route audio/fx.
Very easy to record stuff and set up multi-outs.
Constant updates.
Works well for electronic music and my band stuff.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

antic604 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:08 pm I know. But you can create automation lanes for all involved parameters and then just record yourself tweaking the Macro by hand or via MIDI controller. Sure, it's far from ideal but not a deal breaker.
This is a complete dealbreaker for me as I never record automation... I always draw automation in and that makes macros 100% useless for me...

Trancit wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:05 pm
antic604 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:08 pm I know. But you can create automation lanes for all involved parameters and then just record yourself tweaking the Macro by hand or via MIDI controller. Sure, it's far from ideal but not a deal breaker.
This is a complete dealbreaker for me as I never record automation... I always draw automation in and that makes macros 100% useless for me...
Ok, I see :(
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

apoclypse wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:47 pmI just wish Presonus would take a version to polish what they have... Some features feel half-implemented
Yup.This is really the chief downside of Studio One for me. Love S1 (too busy to be a DAW switcher or DAW connoisseur) but they basically drop things off in a mostly-finished form and wait for people to tell them what’s specifically missing.

I’m going to assume they don’t interact with their power users directly as much as, say, a Native Instruments who is constantly shooting branded content with their most notable and contemporary users. Just a hunch.

Maybe as a consequence of that, they’ve been implementing LOTS of features “people asked for” but some of them have big gaps that don’t get fixed for a long time.

chk071 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:24 am The downside are the ones which have been pointed out frequently here: Too much clutter. If I take a look at the inspector alone, it is cramped full of stuff, and behaves strangely as well IMO. Like, I wished that you could have several of those "drawers" opened at the same time, for example...
If you press CMD (mac) or CTRL (Windows) while clicking each section they will stay open. You can
also reduce the number of visible sections by clicking the setup cog and removing the ones you don't need.

I jumped into studio one at version 2 and really liked it but then I crossgraded to cubase 8.5 and now use it as my main daw (currently on 10). I keep studio one current and only fire it up if I need to load some older project, there is nothing wrong with it but I simply prefer cubase 10.

Andrew.

Thanks for the tip. :tu:

I actually ordered the Cubase Artist from AI upgrade yesterday, which will arrive today, so, I'll check that out when I get it. Had much fun with AI for the last couple of days.

One of my favorite features in Studio One is that you can change the samplerate of your song and Studio One doesn't do a destructive samplerate conversion of your existing audio. It seems to just convert during playback on the fly.

So this means you can record at 96kHz or 192kHz, and then drop it down to 48kHz to save CPU while you mix, then change back to the original samplerate and mixdown.

Cubase, for example, does a destructive samplerate conversion to your audio files, so you lose resolution unless you make a backup of the original audio then swap it back in after resampling back up.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Trancit wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:55 pm According to your logic nearly every available DAW on this planet (Cubase, Logic, Ableton, Bitwig, Cakewalk, etc... etc... etc..) would have a weak automation because they don´t offer these 2 points...
Yes, I think only FL and maybe a few other DAWs have "strong" automation, because it's one of a few DAWs that offers those 2 things. The others have the opposite of strong automation, ie weak automation.

Doesn't mean I dislike SO (it's the only DAW I use regularly), but automation is one of the more frustrating aspects of it (together with the inability to route MIDI to multiple MIDI-triggered effects from one track).

AdvancedFollower wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:42 pm
Automation is imo one it's strong suits. Automating things in S1 is super easy and straightforward and I've never had issues with the automation not being bang on like in Logic where the automation would be completely out of sync sometimes.
To me, automation is one of the weakest points in Studio One. You can't encapsulate automation into clips (unless you use MIDI automation only, and some clunky workarounds), so it's harder to re-arrange and re-use automations without a lot of copying/pasting and dragging individual automation points around. Also, one automation lane can only be linked to one parameter in one plugin. unlike FL for example, which can control multiple things from one automation clip.
I was comparing automation specifically to Logic and Ableton Live, in that context the automation editing tools in S1 are imo far superior. I haven't used FLStudio in any real capacity since it was still called Fruity Loops so I have no real comparison to it. Automation clips would be nice tho. I think Reason had these and I thought they were pretty interesting. Other than that I think the automation editing tools in S1 are pretty damn slick.

Logic has (used to have?) major issues with what I call automation "slippage" where the automation would not trigger where you put it on the timeline. Bitwig has this issue. S1 doesn't really have the issue for me. If I automate a parameter, either by drawing it or playing it, it triggers as intended. That alone sold me as it was a very frustrating issue in LP.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

AdvancedFollower wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:33 am Yes, I think only FL and maybe a few other DAWs have "strong" automation, because it's one of a few DAWs that offers those 2 things. The others have the opposite of strong automation, ie weak automation.

Doesn't mean I dislike SO (it's the only DAW I use regularly), but automation is one of the more frustrating aspects of it (together with the inability to route MIDI to multiple MIDI-triggered effects from one track).
I feel exactly the oposite way...

I really like FL Studio but automation is one of their weakest points as you cannot add nodes without changing the values, no way to use real values for automation nodes, and many other points...

Reaper got a really cool implementation of all these points...

Different people... different tastes... 8)

I echo a lot of the thoughts about S1 in general (slimmer, faster, etc) and I spend about 85-90% of my time with it for production and mastering work. Most of my hobby is mastering and not production though. I also use Live some with Push.

I had an older Cubase license that I just upgraded to 10.5 though to give it a chance again. What can I say... I like learning and trying stuff! It's A LOT to get your head around. For me, it's the hardest out of the three (S1, Live and Cubase) with S1 being the easiest. I don't sequence in Live... just come up with elaborate loops that I export to S1 to arrange and mix. It's more my fault than Live's though.

It's amazing that we have all this choice and the well known DAW's are all very viable and solid options. It just comes down to workflow and personal preference. Unfortunately you may have to try a few to settle on one you like. I can see why some pro's might require one or another for their given profession, but the majority of us can make use of any of them.

After demoing Studio One 3 upon it's release some 4 or so years ago I never looked back, it was the intuitive nature, it just fits me like a glove, the rock solid performance, it was a revelation after using with REAPER and SONAR/Cakewalk for the preceding 8 or so years.

After the ugliness, the inconsistency and the bad UX of REAPER, finally something with an environment that was enjoyable to be in and didn't make me feel like I wanted to throwup, or feel like I was back in Windows '95 days. No more of the bugginess, the flakeyness, the clunkiness and crashyness of SONAR and Cakewalk, and farewell to the gazillion workarounds need for all the stuff that didn't work as described. Finally, I can see what it should be like.
Say NO to CLAP!

AdvancedFollower wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:33 am Yes, I think only FL and maybe a few other DAWs have "strong" automation, because it's one of a few DAWs that offers those 2 things. The others have the opposite of strong automation, ie weak automation.

You could always learn how to write automation like a professional with talent and FEEL...
It's not the quality of audio, it's the quality of production that matters.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”