Why you left REAPER?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

perfumer wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:15 pm
Faiky wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:29 pm I think it isn't possible to show all plugins in the TCP at the moment. But you can choose wich. But I like the workflow with the docked left mixer
Try this:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=210987
Ah yes, i forgot about it. Reaper will get you all :) !

I left REAPER because it felt clunky to work with and it wasn’t fun. I spent a long time trying other DAWs but all of them had limitations and hindrances of their own. Eventually I commited myself to doing this professionally and I figured out exactly what I needed from my setup and REAPER was the only DAW flexible enough to provide that.

Moral of the story: if you are a hobbyist or you’re just starting to build your workflow, pick whatever DAW you get the most enjoyment from. If you want to try REAPER you should have a VERY clear idea of what you’re gonna use it for, otherwise the amount of options will become overwhelming.

All in all REAPER is the most powerful DAW out there.

h2ogun99 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:22 am
mtelesha wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:02 am I use a DAW like an Instrument. Bitwig and Waveform 10 are what I use. I feel like old audio systems are not what I need, but a DAW that I can treat like an Instrument.
Is that why you left Reaper?
Yes I left Reaper because it doesn't work like an Instrument for me. Also I prefer the modulation of Waveform and Bitwig. Bitwig with their grid you can create your own instruments and effects.
-------------------
Bitwig is my DAWs and UHe and Tracktion Synths are my Bae. I maybe buy one synth a year. REMEMBER SELF just one synth a year!

Faiky wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:29 pm
kae wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:32 pm
dtrq wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:52 pm
kae wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:06 pm Pro Tools.. Most is visible/accessible (if you want) from the track without the need to locate the same channel vertically at the bottom or having to change track to see the "inspector". Why waste 1/3 of valuable vertical screen space?
And open the full mixer view when you want to.. mix.
Nothing prevents you from having this workflow in Reaper.
Is that by using the 3rd party script I read about in here or something? I remember doing a search for it once, since Reaper is so flexible, but couldn't find a solution for it then.
I work in this way. You can dock the mixer on the side, so only the selected track is displayed.
That's why I actually never use the big mixer anymore.

Edit:
Okay that would be problematicly:
I think it isn't possible to show all plugins in the TCP at the moment. But you can choose wich. But I like the workflow with the docked left mixer
Yes, the mixer strip on the left is better than looking for the right channel at the bottom where the mixer takes up valuable screen space.
But I still prefer how Pro Tools does it. Showing inserts, sends, IO etc. in the TCP. It's like having the mixer channel horizontally on the track it belongs. For me, that's way smarter use of screen real estate.
And then I open the full mixer for more dedicated mixing where I don't need to see the arrangement.

kae wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:11 pm ...
But I still prefer how Pro Tools does it. Showing inserts, sends, IO etc. in the TCP. It's like having the mixer channel horizontally on the track it belongs. For me, that's way smarter use of screen real estate.
And then I open the full mixer for more dedicated mixing where I don't need to see the arrangement.
This would be for me completely useless as I would never stay all the time at this large track sizes... the scrolling necessary would drive me crazy as well as always having to zoom in/out vertically to show what I need...

If a track inspector I find Logic´s the best...
If no track inspector Reaper got the best functionality for me...

One very good "workaround" for working directly on the arrangement for mixing needs without using the inspector is Cubase´s editor window...

Gone? No. Began to work in parallel in another daw? Yes. Why? Awful interface :D :D Otherwise, it makes no sense to leave this daw :)

Interesting video
Why REAPER???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyKSfStJElo
I use Studio One but Reaper is on my mind.
Main reason Iuse S1 is that my friends use it and can advise me.

so... I still use it when I have to, but I don't like it. That's because I'm the kind of person who uses (on purpose) FL Studio.

BUT, I have to say, the opening post of this thread is the kind of diatribe that, on a TV courtroom drama, would have the prosecutor yelling, "OBJECTION, YOUR HONOUR, the defense counsel is testifying! Do we have a question here???" :lol:

It might not be for you, but it's pretty f#*ing good tho. There's nothing particularly difficult about it, and this is -- as I mentioned -- coming from an FL Studio user. ;)
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

I left Reaper because it become the Frankenstein monster Daw.
It could do everything I wanted and more but it is a monster that I pretend to know nothing of.
The Gui depressed me, I tried various skins that made it feel good until I started drilling down into the dialog's that look like they were designed by someone who gets inspired by notepad.
For technical work that other Daws fail at I will still use Reaper.
I wheel the monster out and quickly lock it back up again.

:D

I see a lot of love/hate here...

I have not left Reaper but sometimes prefer to use S1 for its user friendly interface and it better, simpler approach of multi outputs instruments management.
In Reaper the matrix view can quickly be messy and leads to a severe headache.
There is a trap in Reaper to always try new themes, new scripts, new customisations and at the end not making music.
There are also frequent updates in reaper but most of them are useless for my workflow.
I wish Cockos implement more creative features : scratch pad, session view...

I left Reaper several times, mainly because it wasn’t intuitive and I couldn’t figure out how to fit it to my workflow and how I wanted things to work.

Then, by accident, I discovered a theme and some videos that explained much of the customization I were missing, and suddenly everything clicked. I dived into the customization even more, determined to make it exactly how I want it, and now I’ll never look back.

Now I don’t even think about any aspect of my DAW. It’s just there, working for me as I want it to work, so I can concentrate on creating and have fun. Took some research and customization, but so worth it. The answers are out there, more than ever before.
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

TheMaestro wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:47 pm Now I don’t even think about any aspect of my DAW.
I think that's a important point. No software is perfect, especially no audio software. For me, it rather comes down to a feature set, workflow and functionality which works for you for the most part. I often catch myself wishing I had this or that that another DAW has. Bad thinking really... that way, you will never be satisfied with what you have.

" I dived into the customization even more, determined to make it exactly how I want it, and now I’ll never look back."

That there, still remains a fundamental problem with Reaper, as it doesn't matter how much customisation you do, the end result always ends up looking horrible and dated regardless, and it's still the case today.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:11 pm " I dived into the customization even more, determined to make it exactly how I want it, and now I’ll never look back."

That there, still remains a fundamental problem with Reaper, as it doesn't matter how much customisation you do, the end result always ends up looking horrible and dated regardless, and it's still the case today.
That there, is your ignorance.
You can make Reaper look like what ever you want. Skin it, color it, make the layout the way you want.
And your horrible taste in GUI's doesn't matter to me anyway.
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”