[Intro pricing extended] Available now: T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

You can just post to Soundcloud. I've been meaning to myself. I've got all kinds of fun demo material that includes things recorded at the studio vs. the plug-in but I'm behind on my album mixes and right now I'm putting together some work I can do while traveling... with a nice little pair for iLoud Micro Monitors and an AXE IO which comes in handy for that (this post brought to you by IK Multimedia! haha). No, actually I WILL use my iLoud Micro Monitors but I'd only bring the AXE IO if I was tracking something on the trip. I don't plan to apart from scratch tracks so I might just bring my little Apogee One. That thing has taken a beating! I had to glue the knob back onto it. But, I do like it even though I'm scared I'm going to lose that little breakout cable, knock on wood somehow I still have it! Anyway, I don't only use IK products. I use them where I feel it's appropriate. An iRig Pro IO or Duo would work just fine as well for traveling. Maybe I'll bring that. I AM going to bring an iRig Stream to do quick and easy streaming from the studio though. That will definitely come in handy. Actually I can probably just bring that to monitor my mixes too... but I'll bring the One too. (One too? Three four.)

I'm trying SSSR with pianos today, and if someone has some time to squint, maybe you could compare my screenshot with what
you like so far on a grand piano sound. I'm using the Throw piano
from Sonik Synth 2, it's both bright and deep, with good
velocity response. (I like many of the SS2 pianos better than
newer ones, as they seem more alive, for lack of a better word)
The reverb is off on the piano sound itself, so the SSSR
has the job, the SSSR Spring is set to Low
SSSR-piano-setup.png
Also, some presets named for staple instruments setups
commonly used in the rooms might be good luck for the
northerners out here :wink:
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Even with CS enabled, I am getting occasional intermittent bursts of static. It has also crashed Logic twice when making changes from chamber to room.

Edit: Make that 4 crashes, and still intermittent static, with CS enabled.
Last edited by Bombadil on Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Tremendously musical set of spaces. The iso booths and live rooms are simply glorious, and the chambers + plates + spring are quite beautiful as well. I appreciate the quick and dirty workflow a well-equipped toolbox like this allows.

Quite some care and expertise at work here! Wish the same could be said about all the cringy marketing speak, but oh well. Perhaps the boomers are responding well to this product but until the price is more realistic, count me out. It's (current year) and I have many, many reverbs.

My two shillings, err, cents.

Squids wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:07 pm
Teneyetus wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:03 am I remember when Billy Corgan was in studio 3, I bet that was the session you were on, right? It was several years ago. I remember walking into the hallway to patch up a chamber or plate, or just use the loo, and wishing I could stick around to hear what was happening in there.

But yeah, the plug in captures it. I’m pretty blown away. The chambers and plates are all great, but man, I love the live rooms and booths. Crank some guitar through there and good things happen.
Yes it was in Studio 3 with Billy. I even flirted with D'arcy on the way there! Haha. It was for the Adore record technically although they were recording two albums at the same time. The luxuries of the music business in the 90s! When you have a record deal and hits that is. ;) Billy was nice though. Much taller than I expected.

I think that was the first time I did anything at the studio but there were a few other times I had been there I just can't remember. I was hanging around at a good time. I was at Ocean Way when JJP was mixing or mastering Jellyfish Spilt Milk album, for those who know it, and as I was walking down the hall he grabbed me and said "You gotta hear this" and cranked it at FULL THRESHOLD OF PAIN volume. Sounded amazing. "All Is Forgiven". Cool to hear something like that before it even comes out. This is all way before I did Ocean Way Drums so, being a fan of Allen Sides and that awesome studio, it was fascinating to me to really understand first hand the sonic qualities of those spaces and his mic collection.

Of course, all of these situations and people are to blame for my own semi-extravagant gear spending sprees over the years. I've tamed it back a little bit and decide what's going to be represented solely in software vs. in hardware. I have friends who mix completely inside the box and can't be bothered with the hardware anymore... but I'm still a believer in getting the best of both. I DO draw the line at having my own echo chamber and plate though. Although if I had hits and the cash I wouldn't be opposed to building that into a house or taking over a studio that already had it. In the meantime I'll use the plug-in. ;)
Ahh, The 90s were a little before my time. I had my dates wrong. He was there sometime in the last 10 years for a few days too. Musta been a solo project...

Looking forward to seeing what you and Mr. Huart cook up in st.1!

Verbatim post from GS, but with a link to soundcloud. Just trying to illustrate how close the plug in is:

I thought I'd throw this out there for people to listen to. Here are 2 files, 1 dry and 1 wet. Here's what's interesting about them in relation to this thread:

The dry file is a guitar line, tracked as an overdub in studio 3, right underneath the control room glass shooting toward the back wall - a standard place to set up for guitar overdubs in studio 3. The line is doubled. It was a 60's Gibson 330 played through a Silvertone 1484, with a fuzz pedal going into the amp. I likely blended a 57 + 121 as close mics, and maybe a 67 or 87 a foot or two back. So recorded in studio 3 with close mics, but you get a bit of the room tone in it, it's not totally dead.

I just downloaded the Sunset Sound Studio Reverb tonight and had this song up. So I took that doubled guitar line, and sent it through the studio 3 live room. So the wet is basically adding more of studio 3 to something that was recorded in studio 3. To me it's funny when listening to it, because it sounds the same, but more...

I thought you guys might enjoy it. Please ignore the crappy guitar playing - clearly not edited to the grid.

Dry File Link:
https://soundcloud.com/hybritone-audio/ ... oubled_dry

Wet File Link:
https://soundcloud.com/hybritone-audio/ ... liverm_wet

Verbatim post #2:

Well, I've officially stayed up too late playing with the plug in. Anywho...here's a single lead guitar from the same tune that I posted the earlier files from. I think I originally mixed this in 2007 in studio 1 at SSR. I just happened to have the stems from that 2007 mix, and I still have a Pro Tools session that will open from then.

Here you have the original stem with some automation on the St1 Chamber reverb return. Also in the stem was what I'm guessing was a Memory Man sent from probably buss 13 (one of the 4 busses with a pot send at the top of the st1 console), and returned on a mono console fader, which was then sent through the St1 Chamber in addition to the guitar itself. Only God knows what kind of EQ curve I might have had on that Memory Man return.

There was a bit of forensics in trying to recreate the guitar EQ ( I just used a 550A plug in like on the console & matched by ear - close enough for govt work). I then sent this via aux into the BBD Delay plug in (Memory Man model that ships with Pro Tools these days) which preceded the IK MM SSSR plug in on the same channel. Last I put a 550A behind the reverb, as if it was returned onto the console, and I added a notch of 5k shelf to brighten the reverb (it's pretty bright in the stem).

So the tone going into the reverb is not an exact recall - this isn't perfect and clinical, but I thought it was cool to compare. Like I said, the original mix was 13 years ago in studio 1, and today I'm sitting hundreds of miles away recreating it pretty damn closely.

Again, please bear with the clumsy guitaring.

Original Stem from studio 1 - 2007:
https://soundcloud.com/hybritone-audio/ ... ivechamber

Raw track through SSSR Plug in - 2020:
https://soundcloud.com/hybritone-audio/ ... ginst1cham

I love how I go from 'uh uh, no way am I buying that' to 'I'll have to wait' to pulling my credit card out (after consultation with the missus) and buying the thing. :bang: I'm not easy to impress, and I am not a yuge fan of IK marketing (as should be obvious by now), but this is a really good reverb (for my purposes). It may just replace a bunch of Space Designer impulses in my templates. Basically, though, I just thought 'feck it, the demo isn't working properly.' :roll:

+, if I hadn't looked into the CS, I wouldn't have gotten the free Studer. So, all in all, a decent deal for me.

Can't wait to try it out on my Martins and vocals.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:05 pm +, if I hadn't looked into the CS, I wouldn't have gotten the free Studer. So, all in all, a decent deal for me.
What's this about a free Studer, and what's CS?

I've never looked into the CS (Custom Shop) before. I always delete it. So, wanting to try out the SSSR, I looked into the CS, and there were 60 credits there that I did not purchase. Maybe they were added to my acc't as a bonus, or from prior purchases, I dunno. But the tape machines cost 50 credits a pop, so I cashed those in and got the Studer 80 I think it is.
Last edited by Bombadil on Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Thanks for the tip!

Bombadil wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:22 pm Even with CS enabled, I am getting occasional intermittent bursts of static. It has also crashed Logic twice when making changes from chamber to room.

Edit: Make that 4 crashes, and still intermittent static, with CS enabled.
I’m planning to buy this, but... it crashes every time I use it in Logic (latest version with Mojave and UAD Apollo).

After I bought it, I haven't had a crash. Possibly something to do with CS, I dunno. I just tracked an acoustic guitar (at 2:00 AM :oops: ), with no issues. I am also on Mojave, but I have a RME FF802. I'm impressed with it.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:26 am After I bought it, I haven't had a crash. Possibly something to do with CS, I dunno. I just tracked an acoustic guitar (at 2:00 AM :oops: ), with no issues. I am also on Mojave, but I have a RME FF802. I'm impressed with it.
Thanks for the info. I was hoping it might just be the demo version.

As much as I don't enjoy IK's business model, I think this is a very good module. I know I'll gnash my teeth when it goes on sale for peanuts, though.
It is not really CPU intensive on my 4+ year old iMac. It is less CPU intensive than Waves Abbey Road Chambers and Plates.
I will likely replace My Space Designer sends with this.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Effects”