New Pigments 2 Thread (On Topic Discussion Only, Please)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Palette for Arturia Pigments 2 Pigments 5

BONES wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:33 am The sequencer in Pigments just sits at the end of the signal path, it doesn't interact with the synth engine as far as I can see (although I've never used it) so I don't see a difference. What am I missing?
Well, you miss some quite cool features.In a nutshell: this sequencer can function in polyrhythm mode, it has an intelligent randomization feature, and its main RATE and TRANSPOSE knob can be modulated.
So it depends how you use it, in the right hands, it can create quickly interesting results.
I hope someday the user will be able to modulate this intelligent randomization too.

So, nothing your host can't do at least as well, probably better.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Just installed Absynth to have some weird sounds, and seeing its GUI I thought the Pigments GUI is how Absynth should look nowadays.
I'm curious when will NI update the old GUI's. Arturia was quicker in this task...

Cartwheel wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:44 am I have Pigments 2 and was a little surprised, as well, I was unable to save a sequence. I spent about 30 minutes a week ago working on a sequence, saved it, or thought so, but I was saving the entire patch. No biggy though, I'm new to tweaking and learning more day by day. Otherwise, It's such a well laid-out synth, so agree with DR, would like to see this feature added.
+1 for this! Would so handy.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

BONES wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:49 am So, nothing your host can't do at least as well, probably better.
Not mine..can yours do things like modulate the rate with an LFO? Bitwig probably can..

I can automate stuff like that easily, as I am sure you can in any host.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Nah not any host

Time to change the host then (whatever it is...)

It’s one thing to say “your host can do it” and another thing to say how easily it can do it, how deeply it can integrate the sequencing into the architecture of the synth. Sure I can program polyrhythms in my DAW, but programming controlled randomness and integrating that sequencing with the modulation is not trivial.

Cartwheel
I was unable to save a sequence
+2 for this feature
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

perpetual3 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:28 pm It’s one thing to say “your host can do it” and another thing to say how easily it can do it, how deeply it can integrate the sequencing into the architecture of the synth. Sure I can program polyrhythms in my DAW, but programming controlled randomness and integrating that sequencing with the modulation is not trivial.
If you need that often and its part of your signature, then it is well worth to consider both, the work around with plugins, or to try out a DAW which aids and inspires you in that area. The later might help you better to realize your visions... If you just need it occasionally, even drawing randomly by hand might be easier than learning a tool which can do it automatically...

just checked the sampler and its sample pick mode , its cool, i didnt see such feature in any other synth.

perpetual3 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:28 pm It’s one thing to say “your host can do it” and another thing to say how easily it can do it, how deeply it can integrate the sequencing into the architecture of the synth. Sure I can program polyrhythms in my DAW, but programming controlled randomness and integrating that sequencing with the modulation is not trivial.
Yes it is, it's called "Sample & Hold". It's fairly ubiquitous. As I said, Pigments' sequencer is at the end of the signal path, it doesn't interact with the synth nearly as well as your host's sequencer can. i.e. You can't assign it as a modulation source or anything like that, which would make it more indispensable. It's really just a sequencer, albeit with a couple of interesting features.

dune_rave wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:58 pm just checked the sampler and its sample pick mode , its cool, i didnt see such feature in any other synth.
Or host...

BONES wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:52 pm
Yes it is, it's called "Sample & Hold". It's fairly ubiquitous. As I said, Pigments' sequencer is at the end of the signal path, it doesn't interact with the synth nearly as well as your host's sequencer can. i.e. You can't assign it as a modulation source or anything like that, which would make it more indispensable. It's really just a sequencer, albeit with a couple of interesting features.
Sample and hold is a type of random function generator. And it’s one of three types in pigments.

With specific regards to the sequencer, pigments, there are trig probabilities, per track sources of randomness within user defined boundaries, and auto regeneration. Pp. 121-126 in the manual. These features are different than sample and hold.

Return to “Instruments”