Et in Arcadia ego (ElectroProg/Dark Ambient - Seismic Shadows)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:03 pm
But what bothers me the most is that of all people, I didn't expect you to get on my case simply for giving an honest opinion.
"hey tim, glad youve finished something, had a quick listen, sorry ambient isnt my thing, but again congrats for finishing"

might have been a nicer way to deliver such an opinion, its how we say things not what we say that matters.

and, i wasnt on your case.
i replied to a comment tim made, then tried to paint a simple picture of what happened and why giving up was not a sensible option.

if i was on your case, you wouldnt know it, until it was already too late... :lol:

vurt wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:12 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:03 pm
But what bothers me the most is that of all people, I didn't expect you to get on my case simply for giving an honest opinion.
"hey tim, glad youve finished something, had a quick listen, sorry ambient isnt my thing, but again congrats for finishing"

might have been a nicer way to deliver such an opinion, its how we say things not what we say that matters.
Except I have heard ambient music that was absolutely incredible, so saying ambient isn't my thing would have been an inaccurate statement. Now, if it was rap or reggae, absolutely not my thing and I would have only commented on the mix and not the song because I hate rap and reggae.

But THIS particular ambient piece was incredibly repetitious. And as I said, if you read my whole comment, the sounds themselves were very nice and I could see people liking it just for the sounds. But I need something, sounds aside, that isn't essentially a loop for 8 minutes.

Your music, which is incredibly dissonant and, at times, not even melodic, is interesting because it evolves. That's really all I need in the music I listen to, a little evolution. It could even be atonal as long as it isn't the same loop for 8 minutes.

Again, as for ambient music, I could post a dozen examples of ambient songs that I absolutely love but won't do it here because I don't want to hijack his thread.

But I have learned a lesson. I need to stay away from people who don't like my brand of criticism. The people I have problems with are those who get personal and attack me instead of the music. That's when I get defensive. You (the general you) want to rip my music apart, something that's been done often here, have at it. I can take it. I think it's helped make me a better musician, especially when jon told me that my song sounded like I was taking a car ride and the scenery didn't change one bit for the whole trip. That one comment, as cutting as it was, opened up my eyes as to what was wrong with my arrangements and has made the biggest difference to me in I don't know how many years.

Anyway, I promise I won't comment on this person's music ever again. I also apologize if I offended him. It was not my intention. I was just being honest. That's all.

It's really no wonder this sub forum gets so little activity with members having to walk on egg shells around here.

Believe me, it would make my life a lot simpler to just type

"Hey, great song! :tu:"

But then this place becomes totally worthless.

My 2 cents for whatever they're worth.

** EDIT ** Listen to Cosmos by Hazy. Has almost 10 million views. That is an amazing ambient piece. Listen to how the arrangement changes over time even though the main melody never really changes. This is absolutely brilliant. I would never even attempt to do something like this because it would be laughably horrible. Seriously, listen to it when you get the chance.

seismic1 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:12 pm From the Seismic frying-pan, here is a piece of dark ambient speculation featuring Lounge Lizard, Miroslav Philharmonik and SampleTron.

After 21 months of almost complete inactivity (apart from the odd remix), it was great to finally complete something new.

Cloudborne sonics at:-

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/et-in-arcadia-ego

Abused devices roster:-

Recorded/Mixed in EnergyXT2.7
AAS Lounge Lizard EP-4
IK Miroslav Philharmonik
IK SampleTron
2C Audio Aether
NewFangled Audio Equivocate
IK Classic EQ
BC Gain 3
U-He Satin

Mastered in T-Racks 5
Linear Phase Equalizer
EQP-1A

DR - 9
lovely piece.
kept getting "high above a pine forest, looking down. we see the tell tale snaking of a road.
zoom down till we are following a black sudan..."
shades of badalamenti and snow influences 8)

see, if you give up now, that could be the opening scene of a murder mystery.
when a strange wizard looking bloke attacks a keyboard player in a church for no apparent reason. then disappears from a locked room in custody :o

my one complaint, some idiot decided half one in the morning was a good time to listen :dog:
i feel it may have warranted some amplitude at my end :hihi:

edit: Tried to edit, not post

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:54 pm Nice and brooding slow-burn. Here's to finishing stuff :tu:
Thanks very much for checking this one out. Glad you liked it :)

On average, over the past 10 years or so, I probably manage to finish about 1 track in 5 that I begin, although that ratio has probably improved during the past couple of years. My problem seems to be actually starting them :)

The sound of ghosts trapped in another plane of existence longing to reach those they left behind in this world. This is gloomy as f*ck and that's a good thing in my book. ;)

I enjoyed the slow build. I love the higher ghostly voices that gradually joined in.

It actually could have been longer. The mix was very good. Great job overall!

I see this transitions quite nicely into "The Entropy Clause" on your EP https://whatsisname.bandcamp.com/album/faders-2

Excellent ambient Tim. It does what ambient is meant to do: sound good and be a subtle presence in the background, which I like. It is very soothing to me but with a bit of an edge. Builds nicely at the end!
Well done! :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

edit: Not relevant!
Last edited by el-bo (formerly ebow) on Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Edit: not relevant, either
Last edited by el-bo (formerly ebow) on Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

htcnext2 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:28 pm Sadness indeed! A cinematic approach, maybe sound without pictures. Stripped down to minimal happenings. Nice work.
This is the third track on my first "ambient" album. There is a storyline that I put together for the 4 tracks, which is allegorical. Sadness was a major component in the realisation of this track. You've seen right through me :D

Thanks very much for listening and for the great description :)

If you Google the title of this track, you'll have a clearer idea of the story behind it.

I wanted to slash my wrists by the end of the track....in a good way.

Simple, but effective.

frank1985 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:21 pm I wanted to slash my wrists by the end of the track....in a good way.
:o
:lol:

markkuja wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:54 pm Sad and a bit scary mood.
A soundtrack for the funeral procession with the ghosts.
Good job.
Thanks very much for listening and commenting, Markku. Glad you liked it, and good to see that your impressions of the piece are quite close to the ideas that I was trying to convey :)

Vertlain wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:45 pm There is a feeling of sadness and emptiness but something much darker lies beneath... that is how I perceive it. Entertaining. :)
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, Vertlain. Glad you enjoyed it :)

I think you have managed to describe the atmosphere very well 8)

Return to “Music Cafe”