[Intro pricing extended] Available now: T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

If you need to save some CPU you could always make some Space Designer impulses from SSSR. Just make sure to record with a sweep/impulse at -12dB or so to avoid the clipping.

I think you'll find the results very satisfactory.

I wouldn't have a clue on how to do that, lol. I'm just going to find the settings that suit me best, plates, chambers, live rooms, and replace the Space Designer sends in my main templates.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Reverb junkie here. Demoed. Its ok. I have no emotional attachment to it or its background history. The reverbs sound nice but for me its not bringing anything new to the table. If I worked with reverb on projects that only had one or two acoustic tracks it might be useful to me. But the nuances would get buried in dense projects. It didnt jazz me.

plexuss wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:34 pm Reverb junkie here. Demoed. Its ok. I have no emotional attachment to it or its background history. The reverbs sound nice but for me its not bringing anything new to the table. If I worked with reverb on projects that only had one or two acoustic tracks it might be useful to me. But the nuances would get buried in dense projects. It didnt jazz me.
Agreed. It's OK but it didn't live up to the pages of hype.

MooneyTunes wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:27 pm
plexuss wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:34 pm Reverb junkie here. Demoed. Its ok. I have no emotional attachment to it or its background history. The reverbs sound nice but for me its not bringing anything new to the table. If I worked with reverb on projects that only had one or two acoustic tracks it might be useful to me. But the nuances would get buried in dense projects. It didnt jazz me.
I was able to buy it for about 100 bucks which is worth it to me. Yes, I can get close to all of these sounds with other plugins, but I really am liking the convenience and the simple interface. I’m getting the sounds I want faster with this. I really like it so far.

MooneyTunes wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:27 pm
That "hype" was the influencers at work....

Rather effusive they was :party:

The level of "influence" and marketing BS in this thread has been unprecedented and it's set a new benchmark for how some products are being promoted here now...

As in all cases,it is important to read between the lines, tune out the BS and adhere to the one cardinal rule when considering any product....

Caveat emptor :wink:
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:36 am
That "hype" was the influencers at work....

Rather effusive they was :party:

The level of "influence" and marketing BS in this thread has been unprecedented and it's set a new benchmark for how some products are being promoted here now...

As in all cases,it is important to read between the lines, tune out the BS and adhere to the one cardinal rule when considering any product....

Caveat emptor :wink:
What you call "marketing BS" is just people talking and some of those people have posted many times more than you have and have been on KVR longer as well. It may seem "unprecedented" to some people like you but that's not really true. If you have time, you can read through my 8,000+ posts on KVR. I talk and share about what I like as a producer, engineer and musician and if anyone has a problem with me expressing my point of view I guess that's their loss if they can't get anything good out of it. Insulting me or Peter (who has also been part of the KVR community a long long time), isn't particularly nice or friendly.

In general, I find these kind of comments to be exaggerated drama. I mean, give me a break. We're all just talking about the stuff and when it's on topic I really don't understand what the problem is. Barely anyone minds talking about the same things on the same topic thread on Gearslutz. Plus, as it turns out, the excitement in the posts from Peter and I ended up being REAL to people when they found out first hand themselves WHY we might be so excited about it. If anything, it should make more sense now that it's out and people are using it. Is it for everyone? No. I never said it was. But, it sounds killer for what it's meant for and there's a lot of INTERESTING things about the studio and the plug-in or the behind the scenes or any number of things I take my own time at 10pm on a Sunday (for example) to offer.

Tomorrow I'll be at the Sunset Sound studio with Bruce Botnick, the engineer/producer who recorded and mixed The Doors. We'll be talking about his experience and perspective on the studio, the chambers and the plug-in which he said to me "sounds exactly how I remembered it". Excuse me if that's more "marketing BS" to someone but to me that's genuine, interesting and very cool. There was absolutely no guarantee he'd even like it. I'm so glad he does and is actually using it already (on something I can't talk about but is very very cool if you're a fan of his past work).

I thought I had some nice exchanges with you on here to be honest. But, sometimes some of you guys show such a lack of appreciation and/or disrespect that it makes me not want to bother. I do it for those who do care though.

I truly hope I'm not viewed as someone marketing the plug-in. I have no dog in the fight other than knowing the sound of the place and being happy to have access to that/those sounds at my house. So hell yeah, I'm excited about it, but definitely not marketing it.

Teneyetus wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:17 am I truly hope I'm not viewed as someone marketing the plug-in. I have no dog in the fight other than knowing the sound of the place and being happy to have access to that/those sounds at my house. So hell yeah, I'm excited about it, but definitely not marketing it.
Well, when you've been a KVR member for all of 2 weeks, and almost all of your posts are in this thread, people are going to wonder.

I think the impulses sound very good and seem well captured with good mic choices and placement. I especially like the studio 3 chamber.

A real missed opportunity though by not using various source locations in the live rooms for the realistic placement of different instruments. Seriously, how hard is it to move a speaker around? Not even true stereo. I guess at least they provide a few different mic locations in one of them...

Overall, an underwhelming but nice collection of IRs wrapped up in a pretty interface. I do appreciate that an effort is being made to capture historic recording locations like this and hope they continue. For posterity, or for profit, 'tis a noble endeavor.

Teneyetus wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:17 am I truly hope I'm not viewed as someone marketing the plug-in. I have no dog in the fight other than knowing the sound of the place and being happy to have access to that/those sounds at my house. So hell yeah, I'm excited about it, but definitely not marketing it.
I think that's been cleared up plenty. I'm sure they're mainly referring to Peter (and it is his job to rep the company and thus convey marketing and sales aspects within his posts) and also me who is openly affiliated with the making of the plug-in but not here as an official representation of the marketing nor do I work for anyone but myself. I don't expect anyone to think I'm purely objective (although I'm a lot more objective than I probably get credit for tbh) but I don't like being lumped into "marketing BS" and my posts disregarded when I spend my own personal time discussing these things which I enjoy and happen to have some unique info to share about it.

I know I'm preaching to the choir to some people like yourself but if I'm the one going back and forth to the studio (actually flying across the country to do it... I don't live in LA anymore either so it's not in my backyard) and I'm gathering up info from engineers who recorded there and capturing various audio and video related to the plug-in which is the topic of this thread... if anyone has issue with that then I wonder why they're even in this ONE thread complaining about it when there are thousands of other threads. It's important to choose one's battles in life. There are worse things to complain about than someone going to all this trouble to offer more than usual content related to a topic. Haha. Ugh... anyway... back to actual recording and music making. I shouldn't have even gone in here to see that. It doesn't always bother me (and it really shouldn't) but to see anyone still complaining about that I just have to say "get over it already". It baffles me that any engineer, producer or musician could be that concerned with what people openly related to the company or product say in a forum or how a product description reads or what an ad says. How that affects one's music making is inconsequential. You either like talking about it or reading about it from people like me or Peter or you don't... but understand that others do! AND they have since 2002 so this idea of "unprecedented" is inaccurate. Speaking for myself, I'm always like this. Sorry if anyone doesn't like it! I'm going to continue to be me though so they can always use the "ignore" feature if they don't appreciate what I have to say (or Peter for that matter). Problem solved. Meanwhile... back on topic. A lot of fun things to talk about with this and, ideally, in a friendly respectful manner.

rj0 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:58 am
Well, when you've been a KVR member for all of 2 weeks, and almost all of your posts are in this thread, people are going to wonder.
Which would be foolish because all you have to do is read what he says to understand he's genuinely got interesting things to say from his own experience regardless. I saw him say he edited something out because he was accused of being a "shill" and didn't like it (can't blame him) and he seemed like he was almost out of here until people showed him some respect as we should because we don't know. Personally, I think Teneyetus has offered GOLD to this thread. He's someone who actually worked at the studio, explained his story (great for people into the details before they make superficial assumptions) and even made some examples of his own. I've never met him. He absolutely does not work with IK and doesn't work at Sunset Sound anymore either (otherwise, if he did I'd want to meet him when I go to the studio tomorrow).

If someone takes their time to share something interesting or useful that's on topic I think they deserve some respect and appreciation. With forums we don't know who everyone is. Some people abuse their anonymity. Others are just friendly people taking their own time to contribute something on topic. Being too quick and superficial to judge can be like shooting yourself in the foot... if one actually cares about the topic of the thread and the quality of the discussion.

Squids wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:14 am
rj0 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:58 am
If someone takes their time to share something interesting or useful that's on topic I think they deserve some respect and appreciation. With forums we don't know who everyone is. Some people abuse their anonymity. Others are just friendly people taking their own time to contribute something on topic. Being too quick and superficial to judge can be like shooting yourself in the foot... if one actually cares about the topic of the thread and the quality of the discussion.
Never said he hadn't contributed useful thoughts and info, nor am I making a judgement call. I'm just stating what's obvious.

evo2slo wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:02 am I think the impulses sound very good and seem well captured with good mic choices and placement. I especially like the studio 3 chamber.

A real missed opportunity though by not using various source locations in the live rooms for the realistic placement of different instruments. Seriously, how hard is it to move a speaker around? Not even true stereo. I guess at least they provide a few different mic locations in one of them...

Overall, an underwhelming but nice collection of IRs wrapped up in a pretty interface. I do appreciate that an effort is being made to capture historic recording locations like this and hope they continue. For posterity, or for profit, 'tis a noble endeavor.
I appreciate what you're saying and agree about the effort to preserve the sonic properties of studios, especially such iconic ones as this that so many have recorded over the years. There's less and less of them in the world.

I didn't do any of the captures myself but one thing I do know is that there was an effort to create the realism of the most iconic sounds of the studio as opposed to pure flexibility. In other words, the mic positions and speaker positions would be based on studying track sheets and talking to the engineers on ideal sweet spot placement in the room or what's most common. If you click the "info" tab in the plug-in it actually tells a little bit about this sometimes. The mic positions for Studio 2 live room are explained this way.

But, that's not to say that more flexible options wouldn't be welcome. Instead of putting the effort there, effort was put into other areas such as physical modeling of the mixing consoles and the dynamic harmonic coloration that would happen at the studio itself. That and other things are factored in besides this incorrect notion of it being "a bunch of IR with a pretty interface". It IS more than that. But, the strength of the plug-in, at least in my opinion (and others I've read say this), is you get great sounding ambiences that are already musical and ready to go with the ability to switch them FAST to audition options of rooms, iso booths, chambers, plates and the spring.

I would say that the only reason to buy this plug-in specifically is if those character sounds have an appeal or not. In other words, when it comes to comparing reverbs, there are definitely plug-ins out there with tons and tons of features. My Fab Filter reverb does more things that I could ever imagine doing but that's fun theoretically and maybe I'll get fancy with it... however, being a mixing engineer and an artist on a budget I gotta say I like the idea of calling up a reverb and it just sounding good and moving on to a million other things that you have to tweak... like bleed on drum tracks or miked vocals and guitar amps. If it sounds good that's what I think is important. But, everyone's different of course!

In any case, thank you for your post. I'm going to pass it along as an example of some interesting feedback. I'm definitely curious to see what's more important to people. A great sound vs. lots of options. Obviously lots of options AND a great sound is nice! But, you know, when I was A/Bing the chambers at least and the mic position at the studio stays the same (speaker and mics in the chamber don't move at the studio) vs. the plug-in and it was exact I really appreciated that there was no compromise made so I could move things around. I realize the live room is quite different and there's a greater argument to want to do that vs. the chamber. But, anyway, it was an example of how not being able to do that (while some other plug-ins do allow that in a chamber) ended up being an easy plus for just sounding how it sounds at the studio. Anyway...

rj0 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:22 am
Never said he hadn't contributed useful thoughts and info, nor am I making a judgement call. I'm just stating what's obvious.
Fair enough. I'm just adding to it that when one investigates further than only seeing how long he's been here and what his interests are, it's easy to see from the content of his posts why he would come to KVR to discuss a plug-in that was made around a place he used to work at. I'm sure KVR appreciates every time a new person is lured to join the forum too.

And btw I noticed he migrated over to GS as well where no one seems to give him a hard time at all.

Return to “Effects”