Which DAW(s) you own, don't use but refuse to sell?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've recently uninstalled from my laptop:

Live 10.1 - I own Push2 and while Bitwig's integration is great compared to any other non-Live DAW out there, it still pales in comparison. Also I really like how they've picked up their development tempo & direction since 10 was released - lots of clever ideas and smart choices! I'm kinda hoping one day some feature(s) will be introduced that will convince me to go back, e.g. linked / alias clips (unless Bitwig adds them first ;) ).

Cubase Pro 10.5 - well, it's THE godfather of all DAWs so one should at least be familiar with it, right? But it's overwhelming to me considering my simple hobbyist needs, has several annoyances and that feel of clunkiness that prevents me from seriously giving it a try. And that dredded dongle - for a laptop person - is a goddamn nightmare :dog:

So, on which DAW(s) have you not given up just yet?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Reason 10 - I bought Reason 6 in 2012 when I moved to another city for my new job. At first I didn't have the chance to build my hardware-centric Homestudio and was looking for a quick & dirty "all inclusive" solution. Reason was a proposal from a colleague. But I never felt that comfortable with it. It was more like "Garageband Plus" and coming from Cubase and Logic, I missed some "complexity" in editing options. When I had the chance to build a new recording corner, Reason even more felt like a "walled garden" with little options to manage external gear (well - it never was made for, so I can't complain). But ultimately I wanted "more" and opted in 2019 for Studio One (voted against Logic: Apple-only, and Cubase: Dongle) which is now the starting point for all my new projects and also the control room for my external gear. However, I still have Reason 10 on my Mac for some sound design purposes and (sometimes) ReWire.

EDIT: Ok, this is not exactly "don't use", but I no longer use Reason for its main purpose as DAW.

DP 9, as it is a NFR, Ardour, as its free, Studio Vision, as I can’t make my authorization floppies work in SheepShaver...

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

I swear we have a variation on this type of thread every week
Signatures are so early 2000s.

I own licenses for Cubase Pro, Studio One Pro, Waveform 10 and Energyxt and an old Reaper licence.

Of them all, the one I love and will never uninstall is Energyxt.

I guess Studio One would be my first uninstall, followed by Waveform , then Cubase, but Energyxt will always be there as long as it still boots.

I use all my DAWs in rotation just to stop them seizing up from under use. Most of my music is played in live to audio. Truth is I could just use the freeware Audacity, I have no idea why I bought the other ones. No, wait, scrub Audacity, Bandlab Sonar is more than enough for what I do and is a great DAW, it even has clip launching built in.

Reason... I like a lot of the FX. But I never use it.

And thinking about it now I'll probably sell it at some point.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Kongru wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:38 pmI swear we have a variation on this type of thread every week
I never saw it spun in this particular way ;) :P
Music tech enthusiast

Robmobius wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:44 pm Reason... I like a lot of the FX. But I never use it.

And thinking about it now I'll probably sell it at some point.
I'm assuming you have a pre-11 version and don't consider upgrading to use all the FX and instruments in your current DAW? Gotta say it was a clever move by Propellerhead* - it made a lot of people with obsolete licenses to upgrade and the other half won't sell it so that they could keep using their toys.

* I'm refusing to call them "Reason Studios"
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:27 am Cubase Pro 10.5 - well, it's THE godfather of all DAWs so one should at least be familiar with it, right? But it's overwhelming to me considering my simple hobbyist needs, has several annoyances and that feel of clunkiness that prevents me from seriously giving it a try. And that dredded dongle - for a laptop person - is a goddamn nightmare :dog:
That's pretty much it for me, even though I have to replace that with Cubase Artist... I bought it a couple of days ago, as a upgrade for Cubase AI. Was kind of a impulse buy. Then I installed it, and sort of immediately realized why I switched to Studio One from it. Too much bloat, already when you install it, it installs dozens of sounds and samples, overwhelming feature set, feels clunky, requires a dongle. I'm definitely in love with the interface though, but, frankly, that's not everything. I really appreciate the easy way you can do things in S1. It simply works better for me.

I really can't be arsed to sell it again though. I'll keep it, until the next "Install me!" impulse is coming, and then I will probably realize again why I left it. ;)

Sort of junkie behavior, isn't it? Thank god we're on KVR, the home of the GAS. :D

chk071 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:39 pmI really can't be arsed to sell it again though. I'll keep it, until the next "Install me!" impulse is coming, and then I will probably realize again why I left it. ;)

Sort of junkie behavior, isn't it? Thank god we're on KVR, the home of the GAS. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxZuq57_bYM

:hug:
Music tech enthusiast

:tu:

I’ve never sold software. Too much hassle to transfer licenses, when it’s allowed. Cakewalk Sonar wasn’t even legal to sell, though I wonder what the current policy is with the company that now owns it and gives it away as bait... But I would still hold on to it because of old projects and whatnot that I might conceivably need to access in extremely rare circumstances. But who’s going to buy old versions of the thing that’s now free??

My Steinberg Cubase 4.5 license, I WOULD sell, but PITA transfer, and who’s going to buy such an old version??

In fact, I’ve hardly sold anything at all. Too much of a pain in the ass. The last thing I tried to sell was an M-Audio ProjectMix I/O. The seller was a dick, blamed me for his system incompatibility, and f**king eBay sided with him. Shipped it back to me with subtle damage to two buttons and an input. I lost $170 to shipping costs never recouped. f**k eBay.

I have been planning to sell an Antelope Audio Digital Clock rack unit on Reverb.com, but I haven’t gone through with posting it yet. Anyone here even use those?? I realized I didn’t seem to need it. The last time I needed a digital clock signal was my ART Mic Pre-Amp with digital output. I just got a clock from the output of my TC Electronic DigitalKonnekt x32 with a short coax cable between them. Still didn’t need the clock unit.

Guess I’d sell my Live license... if anyone wanted such an old version... (6 & 7)... but again... PITA.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Got a boxed copy of Cubase SE 2 that I keep forgetting to throw away. It's under a load of other crud I'll never get round to using that by rights could be landfill or eBayed.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Cubase Pro 10.0 (bloated; I don't 'feel' the workflow); Live 9 Suite + Push 2 (not enough USB ports on my laptop; I'll probably reconnect when the upgrade price to 10 will be more reasonable); Maschine 2 (again, lack of USB ports for the Mk1 controller), Renoise 3 (makes me think too much, lol).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”