Notarization process that worked LAST week - fails THIS week! (SOLVED sort of)

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The step-by-step notarization process that I used to successfully notarize a dozen plugins a week ago all of a sudden is NOT working today. I have been using the method posted on page 1 of this thread viewtopic.php?f=33&t=531663. I have VST, AU, AAX versions of my plugins signed (and verified) with my Apple Developer ID Application cert zipped into one top-level zip file which I then submit for notarization.

This process worked perfectly until today. The package uploads to Apple with no errors and returns a UUID. However when I check that UUID some time later Apple reports the notarization failed with "error code 2, Package Invalid".

I've tried the process from scratch a couple of more times with same result. I've checked the UUIDs for all the other packages I released using the exact same process and they all report VALID, error code 0.

What is even more baffling is when opened and tested on Catalina (on a separate HD volume) - everything in the package works - no security issues!

What could be wrong here? Any suggestions appreciated!
Last edited by Fender19 on Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

This test fails:

spctl --assess --verbose (filename)
rejected
source=Unnotarized Developer ID

This test, however, shows GOOD:

codesign --verify --deep --strict --verbose=2 (filename)
valid on disk
satisfies its Designated Requirement
Last edited by Fender19 on Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Still trying, still not working. "Invalid Package"

I had this happen recently using Whitebox Packages, with it importing my siging cert. Once I removed the cert from Packages and signed the .pkg separately it was fine.

I found the problem: "The signature does not include a secure timestamp." is reported for all of my plugin builds within the zip package.

I added "--timestamp" to Other Code Signing Flags in the Xcode 10.3 build settings and now it works. Package notarized VALID.

Now, I went back and checked my other plugin build settings and they did NOT have this flag set - but yet they notarized successfully! Why? Did Apple change this recently? This is madness!!!

Fender19 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:19 pm I found the problem: "The signature does not include a secure timestamp." is reported for all of my plugin builds within the zip package.

I added "--timestamp" to Other Code Signing Flags in the Xcode 10.3 build settings and now it works. Package notarized VALID.
Turns out this only solved the problem for VST, VST3 and AU builds - AAX notarizes successfully but still fails sptcl and is rejected on Catalina.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”