Sammie Dub #2

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

In spite of the various arrangement additions and subtractions along the way (percussion, synth sounds, etc.) But 3 minutes in I had lost interest. Making a 6 minute plus track based around one riff is a tough sell, for me anyway. Actually, the piece would have been better if you had just left the riff out of it and just had the surrounding sounds, which had some variety.

Mix wise, it's fine. Just doesn't do much for me musically.

wagtunes wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:58 pm In spite of the various arrangement additions and subtractions along the way (percussion, synth sounds, etc.) But 3 minutes in I had lost interest. Making a 6 minute plus track based around one riff is a tough sell, for me anyway. Actually, the piece would have been better if you had just left the riff out of it and just had the surrounding sounds, which had some variety.

That's ok. It's a 1st draft mix anyway. I was kind of thinking along those likes, but dropping the bass out in parts didn't sound right. I'll listen some more.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

Moe Shinola wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:02 pm
wagtunes wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:58 pm In spite of the various arrangement additions and subtractions along the way (percussion, synth sounds, etc.) But 3 minutes in I had lost interest. Making a 6 minute plus track based around one riff is a tough sell, for me anyway. Actually, the piece would have been better if you had just left the riff out of it and just had the surrounding sounds, which had some variety.

That's ok. It's a 1st draft mix anyway. I was kind of thinking along those likes, but dropping the bass out in parts didn't sound right. I'll listen some more.
Instead of dropping the bass out, have some variations on the riff, just so it doesn't sound like a loop played over and over.

Mean and moody dub. Impressive considering it was made on an iPad.

It sounds like a backing track. I suggest adding some speech samples to provide additional interest.

wagtunes wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:04 pm Instead of dropping the bass out, have some variations on the riff, just so it doesn't sound like a loop played over and over.
That's quite common though for Dub tracks that they live around a single bass line.
But then lots of other interesting stuff should happen to keep the interest.

Btw. mixing wise, I find the bass line is a bit too bright for a Dub track (at least I'm used to deep Dub bass lines :D)

edit:
Just to give an example, this can keep me well entertained over the whole track, just because of the FX.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9ErXykaZM0

Cool thanks! That dub is great. I tried to find dub vocals but there wasn't much online at the time I was making this tune(at least on freesound.org). Also, originally I meant to combine my Hadeeth 2 drum loops with 808 drums and the bassline ended up making it sound like a Dub for bellydancing to, which is why it's a not-quite Dub.

Return to “Music Cafe”