Did you know (Tips and Tricks) NO CHAT!

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

xbitz wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:27 am been asked to create a video about alternate copy (check your shortkey settings with alternate keyword) which able to create repetitive clip sequences(working with meta clips too)

here it is :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ13cfzlbBM

quite fast way to work especially if it is used with multi clip editing ...
Digging up this oldie cause i am trying to fully understand all the "alternative" Commands in the Keyshort list. But after seeying this vid, i still don't understand. I don't understand what you are exactly doing in this video xbitz, could you plz explain ? Thx in advance !!

vanhaze4000 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:21 am
xbitz wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:27 am been asked to create a video about alternate copy (check your shortkey settings with alternate keyword) which able to create repetitive clip sequences(working with meta clips too)

here it is :

Digging up this oldie cause i am trying to fully understand all the "alternative" Commands in the Keyshort list. But after seeying this vid, i still don't understand. I don't understand what you are exactly doing in this video xbitz, could you plz explain ? Thx in advance !!
On Windows, you simply hold down the Ctrl key before left-clicking a clip (or note) and dragging the new copy to a different place. The modifier key is probably different on OSX.

Yokai wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:04 pm

here it is :

On Windows, you simply hold down the Ctrl key before left-clicking a clip (or note) and dragging the new copy to a different place. The modifier key is probably different on OSX.
So, the interesting part isn't the copies, it's the fact the copies are acting like clones, not separate copies, his editing in one affects all. I haven't been able to duplicate this either.

here it is :

WTF???! Why isn't this more known, especially since myself (and others) have been begging for linked/alias clips for years! I'm at work so can't check it, but does this REALLY work? Or is it just some weird case of editing multiple clips (editor in 'clip' mode rather than 'track')? :o
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

You just need to drag select the midi note, which selects all the same notes in all selected clips.
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

Biscotto wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:50 pm You just need to drag select the midi note, which selects all the same notes in all selected clips.
Yeah? that's not the behavior here at all.
with both clips selected dragging and deleting notes only affects the last selected clip.

machinesworking wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:13 am
Biscotto wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:50 pm You just need to drag select the midi note, which selects all the same notes in all selected clips.
Yeah? that's not the behavior here at all.
with both clips selected dragging and deleting notes only affects the last selected clip.
You need to select all the clips and then in the Layer Editing Mode just Drag/Select the Note ("notes" because in the Layer Mode all of them are available all behind each other) and then edit....

Biscotto wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:49 am You need to select all the clips and then in the Layer Editing Mode just Drag/Select the Note ("notes" because in the Layer Mode all of them are available all behind each other) and then edit....
Got it thanks, interesting stuff, I just came into Bitwig but I'm guessing the changes from 2 to 3 make it look different in the video, plus no need for "alternative" copy. It would be a great add to the layer editing to allow pencil insertion of notes, but option/alt dragging of notes works. :)

machinesworking wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:35 am
Biscotto wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:49 am You need to select all the clips and then in the Layer Editing Mode just Drag/Select the Note ("notes" because in the Layer Mode all of them are available all behind each other) and then edit....
Got it thanks, interesting stuff, I just came into Bitwig but I'm guessing the changes from 2 to 3 make it look different in the video, plus no need for "alternative" copy. It would be a great add to the layer editing to allow pencil insertion of notes, but option/alt dragging of notes works. :)
:tu:

I have to mention an excellent combination for capturing VST instrument sounds to use in Bitwig's Sampler. Freestyle by NewSonicArts can "freeze" entire racks of instruments/effects within it, which creates multi-samples at defined note intervals and velocities for a chosen duration. Using Moss' excellent Multisamplegenerator tool (link below), you can quickly create a bitwig multisample file, or even an entire directory of files mimicking the sample source folder structure (leaves original samples in place). It now works with the Freestyle instrument freeze sample naming format with no tweaks.
Great way to capture sounds for granular/mpe or as a grid sample source.

http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Bitw ... rator.html

"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

machinesworking wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:35 amplus no need for "alternative" copy.
Why you say that? That's totally not true and it's still very much needed.
machinesworking wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:35 amIt would be a great add to the layer editing to allow pencil insertion of notes, but option/alt dragging of notes works. :)
Just switch the tool to draw/pencil?
Music tech enthusiast

xbitz wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:22 am ^^^
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8oec1V2SeI
Great, but that sounds like s**t compared to the original arp using Spire...

The problem with such tools - which also applies to Renoise, DSP Bliss or Sample Robot - that they're capturing VSTs in the same way: pitch + velocity.

And this is where Bitwig has a space to innovate - it should allow to also capture change in other parameters, ideally any parameter(s) user would choose. Then update the sampler to facilitate loading of such multi-dimensional sample layers - you have pitch going left/right, velocity going up/down and those additional parameters would go back/forth in multiple dimensions. Obviously, the sample pool would inevitably be much larger (e.g. a bass at C1, velocity of 64, cutoff at 2kHz, resonance at 75%), but also the expression you could get from them would be much closer to that of the captured VST.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:54 am
machinesworking wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:35 amplus no need for "alternative" copy.
Why you say that? That's totally not true and it's still very much needed.
machinesworking wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:35 amIt would be a great add to the layer editing to allow pencil insertion of notes, but option/alt dragging of notes works. :)
Just switch the tool to draw/pencil?
OK you're commenting like you've somehow gotten it to work outside of the video shown. Have you? or are you basing this off of perceived functionally? I've gotten this behavior to work exactly like shown in Xbitz's video, without using Alternative Copy, and only with Alt/Option dragging notes to duplicate like shown in the video.

Using the pencil tool does not replicate this behavior, it only makes notes in the clip you're currently in. Option/Alt dragging makes new notes in all copies of the clips you select. In fact Option/Alt dragging seems to be the only way, if you select without lassoing the note, it does not replicate across all clips. This is the behavior I see here.

machinesworking wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:32 pm OK you're commenting like you've somehow gotten it to work outside of the video shown. Have you? or are you basing this off of perceived functionally? I've gotten this behavior to work exactly like shown in Xbitz's video, without using Alternative Copy, and only with Alt/Option dragging notes to duplicate like shown in the video.

Using the pencil tool does not replicate this behavior, it only makes notes in the clip you're currently in. Option/Alt dragging makes new notes in all copies of the clips you select. In fact Option/Alt dragging seems to be the only way, if you select without lassoing the note, it does not replicate across all clips. This is the behavior I see here.
This is just a fraction of required functionality. That's why I'm saying alias/linked clips are still needed. What's there might actually be a bug, because I can't understand why it even works for this isolated case.

Regarding pencil, I thought it was a general comment, not with regard to alias/linked clips. My bad.
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Bitwig”