Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JX-3P Roland Cloud

Atlatnesiti wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:25 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:11 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:00 pm Hate to say it but I think roland modelling is ahead of korg. And when it comes to the legacy collection the Roland cloud interfaces are also much better. But the cloud stuff is a mess. As described in my other thread. I’m not sure about the triton, never really cared about that but I do have the rest of the
legacy. Odyssey is great, the other analogs are ok. Not same level as Roland cloud. I would love to see Korg step it up with the other analog emulations.
Of course korg are sensible about including all expansions in stuff like the wavestation, triton and m1. Roland making separate plugins is a perfect example of how greed is getting in the way of common sense and what would obviously be better for users.
Don’t understand the “greed” comment.
All Roland expansion packs are free for registered users, all you need is download them. Talk about common sense...
I was thinking in terms of the loyalty program. If all the expansions were in a single plugin then someone could claim that rather than having to claim a single expansion for their perpetual license. Nothing else makes sense to me, it's too stupid to have them as separate plugins when the interface need not be different.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:30 am Korg took a long time to come out with Triton plugin, yes, but it beats Roland's JV/XV rompler plugins in pretty much everything:

1. all expansions available in a SINGLE PLUGIN
2. much nicer UI (no separate modal window for preset browsing, and also a better preset browser where you don't have to freaking double-click to load a patch)
3. lower CPU usage (by half, comparing in Reaper. Instantiating JV-1080 I see my RT CPU going to 9.5% and staying there, when I load Triton it goes to 4.4% CPU and staying there. Reaching max polyphony of 64 (to match Roland's plugin) Triton uses a decent chunk less CPU)
4. increased polyphony compared to the hardware version (whereas Roland slavishly copies polyphony limitations of their hardware)
5. actually multitimbral (Roland's plugins play only a single patch, in Triton you can combine 8 patches, have them respond over different MIDI channels, etc.)
6. no cloud
Everything you said, particularly the first one, are all things I agree with. From the very beginning, they should have just made one single JV1080 with all the expansions loaded up. Releasing expansion cards as individual plugins is redundant and makes no sense. It probably even takes longer to develop that way with a separate GUI for each of them and these plugins take enough time as they are.

Given Korg's long-standing preference for hardware, it's a small miracle the Triton came out which was the only thing I could ever ask for from them. At this point, I'm just crossing my fingers on a JD800 and a V-Synth as a bonus (not as essential, but I certainly won't knock it) from Roland. Fortunately, it's not really a question if "if' as opposed to 'when'. The very existence of Roland Cloud is honestly a bit of an assurance because at least we know a service exists that is going through Roland's legacy catalog and releasing all this old gear as plugins to begin with. While it's debatable if anyone's requests really means anything at all, it's at least plausible that someone's favorite will be released sooner or later. It makes rushing out to buy any Roland legacy gear pretty fruitless when you can just be patient for it to come out (though it could be a veeery long wait by the looks of things).

(now if only Waldorf could release their old stuff as plugins)

Has Roland discontinued AIRA?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

I think Roland analog vsts actually use some kind of hardware emulation, so emulating their plugout hardware in the plugin. The whole synth/fx dsp logic then seems to be coded in some kind of scripting language. Therefore it constantly consumes a lot of cpu (not even being dependent on polyphony amount), because of this strange emulation JIT runtime thing inside. A wild theory. Korg does not do such a crazy thing.

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:49 pm I think Roland analog vsts actually use some kind of hardware emulation, so emulating their plugout hardware in the plugin. The whole synth/fx dsp logic then seems to be coded in some kind of scripting language. Therefore it constantly consumes a lot of cpu (not even being dependent on polyphony amount), because of this strange emulation JIT runtime thing inside. A wild theory. Korg does not do such a crazy thing.
Possibly! then again, as far as emulations go, Korg has their stuff nailed. The M1 Legacy VST sounds spot-on to this day and it was originally released way back in 2004.

I'm not sure if there has been an update recently, but the plugin GUIs act weird lately on Studio One Mac, the plugin disappears randomly, but reappears when I click anywhere within Studio One. This on top of the fact that the plugins take very long time to load/appear and that knob values stick to screen for good when you hide the plugin before knob value disappears make the plugins quite cumbersome to use. Anyone else get this?

raymondwave wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:42 am I'm not sure if there has been an update recently, but the plugin GUIs act weird lately on Studio One Mac, the plugin disappears randomly, but reappears when I click anywhere within Studio One. This on top of the fact that the plugins take very long time to load/appear and that knob values stick to screen for good when you hide the plugin before knob value disappears make the plugins quite cumbersome to use. Anyone else get this?
They take a long time to appear in Reason 11 as well, so I suspect this isn't a problem indicative of just Studio One, I'm afraid. Are you using them with Studio One's "high DPI" setting on in the plugin window, though?

That said, which version numbers of the (Cloud) Plugins do you have? There were some updates that improved performance, but you have to be a current Roland Cloud subscriber to get the latest updates.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:44 pmThey take a long time to appear in Reason 11 as well, so I suspect this isn't a problem indicative of just Studio One, I'm afraid. Are you using them with Studio One's "high DPI" setting on in the plugin window, though?

That said, which version numbers of the (Cloud) Plugins do you have? There were some updates that improved performance, but you have to be a current Roland Cloud subscriber to get the latest updates.
I have all latest versions. Can't find that high DPI option, is that for Win only?

raymondwave wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:45 pm Can't find that high DPI option, is that for Win only?
Think it’s an option for both Mac and Windows. In the plugin window, on the upper left, there should be a menu option to enable it. I find having it on in Windows makes some plugins behave strange with their GUI. Not sure if it’s an issue with AU though.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Shiek927 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:01 am Echoing the same sentiment from day-one that everyone else has: that they should have made one singular JV1080 plugin with EVERYTHING on it. Every SRX card, every patch, everything just like how Korg did. Not just for convenience sake, but also because it makes mixing and matching different waveforms much easier. Because like a real JV1080, maybe you want to create a patch blending SRX World with SRX Dance? whatever the case may be, you can load up whatever cards you have and play to your heart's content. Having each one separate is needlessly redundant, even more so when they're just including all the old stuff in the newer releases anyway.

I'm not..super against this new plugin? I can't ever fully dislike 90's goodness and I'm not completely against this. I really didn't expect it because, in all honesty, I figured whatever this module might have would already be in the JV1080 plugin to begin with. As Bippo said, what's really the point if what this plugin has is already what's been previously released piecemeal in several plugins beforehand?

In any case StoneyBCN, as before: they seem determined to go through every. single. SRX library and the only ones that haven't been covered yet are two Piano libraries and one Drum library. I think it's inevitable at this point to expect those to be released next because, with as far as they've gone with doing all the others, it would be odd of them to suddenly stop now.

Either way though, I am breathing a soft sigh of relief because with the XV5080 and reaching the last of the SRX cards, Roland Cloud doesn't actually have much choice but to actually show something different for next time around. And to their credit, they only just showed three different SRX libraries all at once not that long ago, so they're trying to make up for what's otherwise been a pretty quiet year. I honestly wasn't totally expecting anything else to come out from them this year.

Hope next year will finally be the year of the JD800 and all the other keyboard synths people have been clamoring about for a long while.
Called it! the two SRX Piano libraries were just released today. The Dynamics Drum SRX card is bound to follow. After which, we'll see what they do next

Shiek927 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:04 pm
Shiek927 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:01 am Echoing the same sentiment from day-one that everyone else has: that they should have made one singular JV1080 plugin with EVERYTHING on it. Every SRX card, every patch, everything just like how Korg did. Not just for convenience sake, but also because it makes mixing and matching different waveforms much easier. Because like a real JV1080, maybe you want to create a patch blending SRX World with SRX Dance? whatever the case may be, you can load up whatever cards you have and play to your heart's content. Having each one separate is needlessly redundant, even more so when they're just including all the old stuff in the newer releases anyway.

I'm not..super against this new plugin? I can't ever fully dislike 90's goodness and I'm not completely against this. I really didn't expect it because, in all honesty, I figured whatever this module might have would already be in the JV1080 plugin to begin with. As Bippo said, what's really the point if what this plugin has is already what's been previously released piecemeal in several plugins beforehand?

In any case StoneyBCN, as before: they seem determined to go through every. single. SRX library and the only ones that haven't been covered yet are two Piano libraries and one Drum library. I think it's inevitable at this point to expect those to be released next because, with as far as they've gone with doing all the others, it would be odd of them to suddenly stop now.

Either way though, I am breathing a soft sigh of relief because with the XV5080 and reaching the last of the SRX cards, Roland Cloud doesn't actually have much choice but to actually show something different for next time around. And to their credit, they only just showed three different SRX libraries all at once not that long ago, so they're trying to make up for what's otherwise been a pretty quiet year. I honestly wasn't totally expecting anything else to come out from them this year.

Hope next year will finally be the year of the JD800 and all the other keyboard synths people have been clamoring about for a long while.
Called it! the two SRX Piano libraries were just released today. The Dynamics Drum SRX card is bound to follow. After which, we'll see what they do next
Indeed, nice catch!
I've been using the Cloud demo for 2 weeks now, and I do like the instruments so far. I never got the chance to play the real ones, but they're decent enough for me, also not too heavy on my CPU.
Based on these experiences, I am quite interested in what's to come next... JD800? JP8000? What do you think?

Shiek927 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:04 pm Called it! the two SRX Piano libraries were just released today. The Dynamics Drum SRX card is bound to follow. After which, we'll see what they do next
Boooooring :shrug: :(
Fernando (FMR)

Yup, the year of boring 80's and 90's Romplers continue, so glad I stopped my subscription.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Any sign of direct purchase for dongled licenses? Subscription will never happen.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Still no JX-8p, Juno 6/60, Alpha Junos, V-Synth, JD-800, polyphonic versions of the mono analogs, etc

...but are some pianos. ffs

Return to “Instruments”