RAPID Synthesizer | Rapid 1.8.0 released | Free "SP - Granular Elements"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

SLiC wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:38 pm
parawave wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:46 pm
SLiC wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:38 amAny thoughts on the idea of being able to automate x fading between layers why just a couple of automatable XY joysticks on the main page? It seems like such an obvious use of layers (there are a few posts on this if you read back). Looking forward to whatever we get!
Sounds interesting but a bit vague. So in the end only 1 layer is playing, using the other layer parameters as source, blending between the values? Hm, a bit hard to implement. It's basically a form of global modifier (like the master page ones). Or is there more to it? Hard to grasp the details. But I think the fact that you could emulate it in the DAW is a sign that it's one level above regular modulation and some kind of performance modulator feature. Parameter state blending?
No- I was thinking far simpler! Just like the joystick on a Korg Wavesation, you can mix between layers (mix volume) - you would have 2 joysticks as you have 8 layers - if the joysticks can be automated you can get some great movement. You have already implemented it with volume sliders, joysticks (as everyone klnows) are more fun and sexier :D
Ohhh, now I get it.
Two controllers with two axes. X1 & Y1, X2 & Y2.
Where X1 and Y1 essentially give 4 corners, A,B,C,D.
And each controls the volume of layer 1 to 4. Similar to the Vector Synthesis setup.
Yes, that's ways simpler! But isn't it kind of boring if it's only volume? :D
I initially thought a crossfade between ALL parameters :hihi:

Talking about MSEG - Has anybody ever used Meldaproduction-Tools?
Check out the LFO for instance, it has several modes
* Normal: Blend waveform from Sine going through saw and rectangle to noise
* Harmonics Mode: You can switch your current waveform into harminocs mode and add or remove harmonics.
* Steps mode: Use a steps editor with ramp up step shape for instance
* Custom Mode: Draw whichever shape you like with an custom set of points.
And then you can mix everything together by "percentage" dials ... so you can use a sine and apply 50% steps on top of it...

Check out the Screenshot ... It's based on a Sine and Custome Shape as well as Steps applied on top of it with their respective perentage lelvels.

The absolute crazy thing in Melda-tools is that you can even load samples into LFOs ... not depicted.

So when talking about how the different concepts might all fit together, the Melda approach could serve as an eample.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

parawave wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:55 pm
SLiC wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:38 pm
parawave wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:46 pm
SLiC wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:38 amAny thoughts on the idea of being able to automate x fading between layers why just a couple of automatable XY joysticks on the main page? It seems like such an obvious use of layers (there are a few posts on this if you read back). Looking forward to whatever we get!
Sounds interesting but a bit vague. So in the end only 1 layer is playing, using the other layer parameters as source, blending between the values? Hm, a bit hard to implement. It's basically a form of global modifier (like the master page ones). Or is there more to it? Hard to grasp the details. But I think the fact that you could emulate it in the DAW is a sign that it's one level above regular modulation and some kind of performance modulator feature. Parameter state blending?
No- I was thinking far simpler! Just like the joystick on a Korg Wavesation, you can mix between layers (mix volume) - you would have 2 joysticks as you have 8 layers - if the joysticks can be automated you can get some great movement. You have already implemented it with volume sliders, joysticks (as everyone klnows) are more fun and sexier :D
Ohhh, now I get it.
Two controllers with two axes. X1 & Y1, X2 & Y2.
Where X1 and Y1 essentially give 4 corners, A,B,C,D.
And each controls the volume of layer 1 to 4. Similar to the Vector Synthesis setup.
Yes, that's ways simpler! But isn't it kind of boring if it's only volume? :D
I initially thought a crossfade between ALL parameters :hihi:
Yes! SY22 was my first synth 8)
I will take more parameters, as long as one of them is volume :tu:
Rapid was BORN to have this feature, maybe stick them by the graphic of the mod and pitch bend as its more of a performance effect, or toggle the volume sliders (which are probably left once set)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Therefore, what is the speciallity of MSEGS? Is it about finicky details? Is it about performance control? Or is it about rhythms outside the synced grid?
consider this image alone, this is often a type of shape I like making in modulation, while the short saws at the end are super easy to draw in a performer style interface, the long downward slope would be tedious and time consuming (taking a minimum of 24 clicks to draw). It's not just this one shape, but many shapes like this.
Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 1.23.46 AM.jpg
Another big part of msegs is custom curves for each slope, subtle curve adjustments can make big differences in a sound. Also it's not always about creating rhythmic patterns, sometimes you just want a certain motion to a sound, and it is usually easier to draw in an mseg. Don't get me wrong I love your sequencers, they even solve the biggest flaw with most performer style modulators in giving you the option to adjust the "bottom" or rightward end of each cell.

2. Build me 1000 MSEGS:
I will gladly build 1000 unique msegs, though I'd probably have to ask for compensation as that would be a significant amount of labor and creative content for rapid. But one huge thing with many synths is the lack of mseg or custom lfo presets, this is actually something I love about rapid's sequencer is the depth of content

I actually have made 100 unique msegs in reaktor, many are variations of the same thing but this takes me to my next point
1. What is my dream MSEG:
For one, just to be an option.

But beyond that, I'll jump in with one single feature that I'd even love to see in the performer, preset switching via modulation. being able to sequence through a series of msegs or patterns would be extremely useful in generative and procedural music. You could build an entire song in a bank of patterns. If you want to discuss further how this could be implemented with friendly ui feel free to PM me for email, I will gladly discuss this.

I've actually built this into my reaktor mseg, I can use midi notes or even lfos to instantly switch between mseg presets. I've even created a "flipbook" of msegs to demonstrate my real dream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gz4w2cLedE

mseg tables, a way to morph between 2 or more msegs within a table, this could be used to sequence a series of different patterns for fleshing out a song, or morph freely between a couple variations for some rhythmic diversity, or just all out insanity

I understand this would be the hardest to design and implement, which is why a proposed pattern switching (which is what I use in my simulated mseg table)

But more so than designing 1000 custom msegs (which would be maybe 20 or so unique tables), I'd rather develop a system to generate tables and interpolate in different ways between them to get many more.

I hope that doesn't sound like "countless features"
To be honest: I can't think of many things you want to control over eight layers. In most cases you want the values to be different! One question. Would the parameter movement be relative to the current value, or absolute? e.g.
Im going to drop my arguments for this one in favor of a "copy to all" option in the right click drop down (for oscs, layers, knobs, mods etc.)

It's more of a matter of creating a starting point for layered patches

hope this clears some stuff up and helps you out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my website for synth/software articles reviews and presets http://databroth.com (new review every monday)

I also do experimental sound design and demos of plugins (no talking) on my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/databroth

Is the "full" library download link always updated to the latest full incl the new updates?
Mac Studio Ultra, 64ram, 4tb+<4tb Samsung850-860evo ssd's in TB3 Akitio Enclosure> UAD Apollo x6-tb3/Yamaha2050/Amphion/Bowers&Wilkins/Komplete S61Mk2} latest OSX

databroth wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:51 am I actually have made 100 unique msegs in reaktor, many are variations of the same thing but this takes me to my next point
preset switching via modulation. being able to sequence through a series of msegs or patterns would be extremely useful in generative and procedural music.
use midi notes or even lfos to instantly switch between mseg presets.
mseg tables, a way to morph between 2 or more msegs within a table, this could be used to sequence a series of different patterns for fleshing out a song, or morph freely between a couple variations for some rhythmic diversity
But more so than designing 1000 custom msegs (which would be maybe 20 or so unique tables), I'd rather develop a system to generate tables and interpolate in different ways between them to get many more.
Good idea.
If you think about a feature long enough, there is this tendency that you will move to a specific conclusion. Most of the time it's either ease of use or total flexibility. It's a hard decision to make, that's why we prototype or at least make an initial concept. Then take the best of both worlds, which is always some kind of compromise.
Now, something that crystallizes out is that you definitely use MSEGs for a lot of performance stuff, right? Since we're aware of this, we have to overthink this a bit. Instead of just offering MSEG ABCD we could implement a general MSEG module per layer and make the number of slots variable and switchable, similar to your idea. Although I think the switching part is more important than the interpolation part.
databroth wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:51 am hope this clears some stuff up and helps you out.
Yes, definitely appreciate feedback. If it's not all too demanding or obscure, we're glad for every idea. Sometimes totally random ideas or different perspectives can spark other ideas. :tu:
grdh20 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:32 pm Is the "full" library download link always updated to the latest full incl the new updates?
Do you mean the Factory Sounds? If yes, the Factory (wavetable/multi-samples) hasn't changed so far. New fixes or additional modulator presets are always included in the newest Rapid Setup. Because: It's kind of unreasonable to demand the user to download 2GB of content for every little change.

If it's not all too demanding or obscure, we're glad for every idea. Sometimes totally random ideas or different perspectives can spark other ideas
thank you for responding btw, it's always nice when a developer actually communicates with it's end users. I'll get back to this forum with a more detailed and concise description of any ideas. I try to keep feature requests to the point, useful for many purposes, and practical.

seeing as each layer already has 4 performance sequencers, I do believe you could get away with 1 mseg per layer (though I say the more the merrier).
Now, something that crystallizes out is that you definitely use MSEGs for a lot of performance stuff, right?

Funny enough I don't. well it depends what you mean by "performance", I tend to build more self generating style patches, beats and obscure sound designs, though the idea of performing with an mseg is interesting. More so than being able to switch patterns live or by hand, I'd like to be able to use other modulation to switch between them. Also as far as interpolation goes, I don't believe it is necessary (you're essentially just creating a new shape, though it might be the cool new thing one day).

And yeah if you could set up some sort of switching system within a bank (maybe of 8-16, maybe more), I'd be able to build a lot more msegs as theyd be "frames" within the banks. Though I think it wouldn't be a stretch to generate 1,000 tables with a semi random algorithm
Check out my website for synth/software articles reviews and presets http://databroth.com (new review every monday)

I also do experimental sound design and demos of plugins (no talking) on my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/databroth

Really need a way to step-time record patterns like you can do in UHE's Hive...it's more fun and a more flexible way to program than dragging individual notes by mouse.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

deleted
Last edited by expecto on Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hey guys. My expansion is online again. For those, who love the harder styles, trance and EDM.

Demos:
https://youtu.be/t4f0HOMhv4U

Get Hard Explosion 1 for Rapid here:
https://payhip.com/b/elr2
Intel I9 9900X / Asus Prime X299-A / 32 GB DDR 4 / NVidia Geforce RTX 2080 / Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 / Win 10 Pro 64 Bit / Ableton Live 11 64bit / Reason 11

a feature request: a selectable filter model on the main page.

and more filter models. :D

When the granular oscillator comes, I hope there will be drag and drop support, and it would be nice if it was read from disk (supporting different formats, bit depths and samplerates) - without the need to "install" the file into the Rapid folder every time you want to check a new audio file in the synth.

And a selectable play head zone - resizeable, moveable, directions etc.

Cheers.

Hello, just demoed Rapid. Something I noticed on Win: cancelling the x86 installer will stop the whole installation process. Why? I don't wan't to install x86. Besides that I noticed it steals the key commands in FL or StudioOne, e.g. after selecting a preset.

Can I disable the 22khz limitation or would you consider such an option? And does this limitation also apply to Rapid FX?

Will there be "drag and drop" modulation coming some when?

Biome_Digital wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:44 pm Will there be "drag and drop" modulation coming some when?
Drag and drop already exist.
Since day one.
Best
YY

Return to “Instruments”