Updated - Mini now free!: FactorSynth & Factoid - M4L FSU/'sound unmixing' *essentials*

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cron wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:26 pm
Dirtgrain wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:03 am Does it ever go on sale?
Just had an email offering 20% off sitewide at Isotonik with the code BLACK2019

Valid until midnight GMT on the 30th of November.
Thanks cron ... this looks too good to pass on. :)

It needs a way to loop the audio--seems essential for such an instrument. I see in the manual there is some way to rig it in Max for Live, but you cannot make a button on the GUI for it?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

It loops together with the source (master) Audio Clip here.

It is quite unorthodox.

Seems it expects the Loop Start is not moved (or it doesn't detect it), but it does catch if the Loop End is shortened.

Ah, I'm on it.

OK, sorry I overlooked that. I kept pushing the little yellow play button over and over. But looping the clip in Live works. So much better for tweaking. Thanks.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Bought this the other day and there's definitely something awry with the looping, not sure if it's user error or not but I ended up hearing the loop for 3-4 repeats, then silence for a few minutes and then it returned, sometimes intermittently. Will see if I can figure out if it's something I did.

commenting to keep track of this. very interesting.

The developer has just released a new product based on the same principles: Factoid.

This one is a bit less powerful, but no less interesting as it does something FactorSynth can't do. It breaks sound down into between 3 and 8 components with NMF machine learning like FactorSynth does, then shifts those layers in time. The shifting can be quantised (great for drum loops) or unquantised.

Simpler, and much less RAM intensive than FactorSynth can get. The suggested 'sensible' length in the manual of 'up to 30 seconds' with the finest-grained factorisation takes around 500MB and factorises in 1 or 2 seconds on my Ryzen 3800X, so I imagine you can push length out significantly further.

Ultra accessible pricing at 19 Euros. Get it from the developers website here: https://www.jjburred.com/software/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4rNdT982Ho
Last edited by cron on Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

(double post)
Last edited by cron on Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

(triple post - jeez, I'm crap with pressing the quote button instead of the edit button today :lol: )

Been waiting for this since the teaser video. Instabuy from me, especially at that price point.
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

Ah, excellent news! Hopefully a few more people will jump on board! FactorSynth Mini is AFAIK essentially the 'full fat' version, but limited to 8 components (you'll very, very rarely want to use more than this) and missing the excellent cross-synthesis section.

I got an email saying the FactorSynth 2 beta team is being put together, so presumably that's coming in the near-to-mid future. The new features look awesome but I haven't applied as I won't really have time to test thoroughly given the state of the world, so I'd love to hear how things are shaping up if any posters are on the team.

[Bump with edited thread title]

how come I never heard of this project. This is stunning! Where do I find more information on what’s about to come in v2?

Nice!
Is there an upgrade path from mini to full version?

Return to “Instruments”