Sononym sample management/browser

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
DrGonzo
KVRAF
2450 posts since 24 Oct, 2000 from A Swede Living in Budapest

Post Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:04 am

I am giving up on Sononym as for being my hub for handling my sample library. When dealing with a large library it's extremely slow to start up and becomes painfully unresponsive even to change filters.

It excels at finding similar sounds, which is great for creating a sample pool before making music. But using it when working with a song running in the background is like trying to run in mud :o + a couple of crashes.

Probably not strange considering the work it has to do, and it would probably work well for smaller sample libraries.

/C
Plughugger Sound Design
ANTHOLOGY 1 - 80s ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS for OMNISPHERE
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

terminus_one
KVRist
355 posts since 21 Jan, 2015

Re: Sononym sample management/browser

Post Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:02 am

Out of interest, what's your library size(s) @DrGonzo?

DrGonzo
KVRAF
2450 posts since 24 Oct, 2000 from A Swede Living in Budapest

Post Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:19 am

Sononym reports almost 400 000 samples. Which _is_ a lot.

/C
Plughugger Sound Design
ANTHOLOGY 1 - 80s ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS for OMNISPHERE
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

terminus_one
KVRist
355 posts since 21 Jan, 2015

Post Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:37 am

It's a lot, but in this day and age it's not unreasonable.

I experience the same issues as you @DrGonzo – I have 3 separate "libraries":
1) Main [~640K samples]
2) Apple [~40K samples]
3) NI Shared [~200K samples]

… though this does include lots of Kontakt sample libraries (with open samples).

Once we get the ability to search across libraries I'm hoping to split the first one up a bit more.

(Note: the libraries are all stored on the internal [very fast] SSD).

codec_spurt
KVRAF
4154 posts since 21 Sep, 2005

Post Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:11 am

I was making up some samples for my new Korg sampler and just doing it from random stuff. I didn't want to duplicate the names so I just gave them similar names on a whim. Then I realised, doh, what if I really like those samples I load in to my new sampler and I want to work on them - I won't be able to find them because I don't know the name/folder structure (whimsical names only help so much).

Then I thought, what if there was a program that could identify samples not by name, but by how they sound. Second 'doh'. I remembered that I bought Sononym a while back in the sale.

I've not used it yet. I remember watching Grymmjack's video and he really explained it well.

Maybe I'll get around to installing it. I guess everyone's use case is different - I didn't even buy it for its ability to find 'like' samples, more for being just a decent sample manager.

It's interesting seeing the use cases of others. Sometimes they overlap with my needs/wants.

Decent sample managers and file explorers are the weak link in the chain on PC if you have a large library that you have built up yourself. Not even expecting them to catalogue and sort my NI Komplete library.

Here's the Grymmjack video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMRERVLsubE

humpo72
KVRist
35 posts since 24 Jul, 2014 from London, UK

Post Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:04 am

so, im a few days into the trial and i have my modest 200gb sample library set up. i have a few questions

can i search multiple libraries at once?
is there a way to correct BPM & pitch?
this one is probably my lack of knowledge, but on mac, is there a way to drag samples onto instruments in Cubase? i can drag samples into the project window without issues but if try to drag a sample onto say Battery, the battery instance will vanish even if always on top is selected in the plugin. my only workaround so far is to size both sononym & Cubase with half the screen each, i can then drag a sample over to battery with a bit of jiggery pokery.

some nice features would be the option to hide duplicates. in some of my sample packs, the same sample will appear multiples times as its in WAV format, Sampler formats and some REX file folders also have the complete WAV in the folder. I've just counted 1 sample in a Pack with 10 instances of the same sample.

categories for loops would be nice. some basic DAW integration would be nice such as tempo sync with host when playing samples in sononym. MIDI file support would be nice.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”