The Wagtunes Corner

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic

What CD Would You Like To Hear Me Do?

Modern Pop (Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, etc.)
5%
Classic Rock (Stones, Beatles, Who, Zep)
5%
Prog Rock (Yes, Genesis, Kansas, etc.)
10%
Show Tunes Style (Sound Of Music, My Fair Lady, etc.)
3%
Country (Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, etc.)
2%
Disco (Bee Gees, Tramps, etc.)
14%
Metal (various sub genres)
9%
EDM (various sub genres)
14%
80s (various genres)
8%
Your Music Sucks. Please Stop Making It
30%

Total votes: 174

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just listened to "Set me straight". Was knocking about on SC and just seen you upload. (not a stalker I promise :hihi: ). Good stuff as usual. Your deployment of instruments and mixing in general is fantastic. Everything runs nice. Love "Been in trouble for ever
Cause I think I'm so clever". That says volumes about everybody I think. No too long or too short, another listen I think. Good work! :tu:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

jethrobull wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:52 am Just listened to "Set me straight". Was knocking about on SC and just seen you upload. (not a stalker I promise :hihi: ). Good stuff as usual. Your deployment of instruments and mixing in general is fantastic. Everything runs nice. Love "Been in trouble for ever
Cause I think I'm so clever". That says volumes about everybody I think. No too long or too short, another listen I think. Good work! :tu:
Thanks Jethro. A little different from my normal stuff.

Tikno,
Love it, great lyrics, very interesting, kept engaged from start to finish.
Some really good things in there.
3:21 nice harmonies.
Great job overall :tu:

Bansaw wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:19 pm Tikno,
Love it, great lyrics, very interesting, kept engaged from start to finish.
Some really good things in there.
3:21 nice harmonies.
Great job overall :tu:
Thanks. I'm trying to stretch myself a bit and not do the same old things. Right now, I'm actually attempting a James Brown like groove. Not sure I can pull it off, but I'm going to give it a shot.

wrong thread :oops:

thecontrolcentre wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:04 pm wrong thread :oops:
Come again sometime. You're always welcome.

30th track from my upcoming double CD "2020"

White boy does James Brown. While I can hear old James turning over in his grave, it could have been worse. Regardless, I've always wanted to do something like this (big James Brown fan) but never did out of fear of being laughed at. But these days, eh, who cares? Laugh away.

Some very obvious James Brown vocals towards the end for those familiar with his tunes. Really had fun with this one.

Soul Catcher

Somebody say I got no soul
Well they can go jump in a hole

Soul catcher
That's what I am
I will do anything I can
Maybe you're not my biggest fan
Well I'm a soul catcher
Just hear me jam

Somebody say I got no class
Well they can all go kiss my ass

Repeat Chorus

Instrumental Break

Somebody say that I'm all wet
Well you ain't seen nothing yet

Repeat Chorus

Outro

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim/soul-catcher

That bass is excellent (Modo Bass?). Same with the horns (the Warp IV library you’ve been using?).
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

Music Bird wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:50 pm That bass is excellent (Modo Bass?). Same with the horns (the Warp IV library you’ve been using?).
Yes on both. Glad you liked.

Interesting piece. What I like is that you go for it. The outcome is not very James Brown, but is incredibly satisfying to listen to and it is a good piece for sure. To be sure you have all the sound elements, and for you, quite funky indeed. Maybe removed from much of your previous stuff! Even more borderline a groove Prince might choose. To that end...

Something you will appreciate: I knew James Brown. I mean, as in, he came to my studio in Augusta, GA several times. I actually produced an album (Sexin' Me) for one of his producers (Derrick Monk, worth a lookup) while I was in Augusta. We brought in part of James' horn section and did some really cool stuff (and we partied because it WAS 1999)...just before he took off to be in some movies, and I think eventually into gospel. James and Derrick were really cool, though I never completely understood what James was saying...that and he seemed high every time he came by. It was weird producing his producer cause I thought this guy just knew the funk...but he taught me quite a bit about soul (I already had the funk, heh) which lead to the next step in my career. But just like James, he knew what he wanted as it was hitting. It would have been cool to get James onto one of those recordings, but his hands were tied with contracts and I would likely have to give up some of my rights to get that happening.

Didn't mean to hijack, but I knew you would like that.

thejonsolo wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:54 am Interesting piece. What I like is that you go for it. The outcome is not very James Brown, but is incredibly satisfying to listen to and it is a good piece for sure. To be sure you have all the sound elements, and for you, quite funky indeed. Maybe removed from much of your previous stuff! Even more borderline a groove Prince might choose. To that end...

Something you will appreciate: I knew James Brown. I mean, as in, he came to my studio in Augusta, GA several times. I actually produced an album (Sexin' Me) for one of his producers (Derrick Monk, worth a lookup) while I was in Augusta. We brought in part of James' horn section and did some really cool stuff (and we partied because it WAS 1999)...just before he took off to be in some movies, and I think eventually into gospel. James and Derrick were really cool, though I never completely understood what James was saying...that and he seemed high every time he came by. It was weird producing his producer cause I thought this guy just knew the funk...but he taught me quite a bit about soul (I already had the funk, heh) which lead to the next step in my career. But just like James, he knew what he wanted as it was hitting. It would have been cool to get James onto one of those recordings, but his hands were tied with contracts and I would likely have to give up some of my rights to get that happening.

Didn't mean to hijack, but I knew you would like that.
Jon, thanks for the listen, feedback and the story. Wow, you got to meet James Brown. I've been listening to his music for over 50 years now. As for me sounding like him, yeah, I knew there was fat chance of that happening, but as you said, I went for it. Something I would have never even attempted 40 years ago.

And you can hijack my thread any time you like.

31st track from my upcoming double CD "2020"

I really do have too much time on my hands.

Too Much Time On My Hands

Too much time on my hands
Just sitting around here
Wishing you were near
But you're far away from me

Just biding my time dear
Wishing you were near
But you're way too far to see

The world outside is going crazy
Suddenly my life is oh so hazy

Just crying in my beer
Wishing you were near
But you're distant like the stars

Just shedding a lone tear
Wishing you were near
But you're just as far as Mars

Repeat B Section

Instrumental Break

Just blowing the clouds clear
Wishing you were near

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... n-my-hands

Hey Wagtunes, as you’re well aware, I’m new here. I’m interested in hearing your best stuff. This thread is quite lengthy, any chance you’d be interested in posting your top 5 personal favorites for me to check out?

Scanloni wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:28 am Hey Wagtunes, as you’re well aware, I’m new here. I’m interested in hearing your best stuff. This thread is quite lengthy, any chance you’d be interested in posting your top 5 personal favorites for me to check out?
Picking 5 out of hundreds of songs is kind of tough.

Maybe start with these?

Hold On To Your Guns

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... -your-guns

Just Like Jimmy Neutron

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... my-neutron

Hold You Like There's No Tomorrow

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... o-tomorrow

Losing My Mind (All Over You)

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... l-over-you

Three Minutes To The End

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... lead-vocal

32nd, title and final track from my upcoming double CD "2020"

Interesting story. I first started this CD in the beginning of December 2019, long before this virus crap started. While I didn't have an idea for the title track at the time, it certainly wasn't this. Can't help but wonder what I would have written had things not turned out like they did.

Stuck inside with nothing to do
COVID-19 screw you

Here it comes, here it comes
Here it comes again
Shut your mouth
Don't go near your friends
Don't look now
But the world she is gonna end

2020 lights out call it a day
Hell it just don't matter anyway
We can't even go outside to play
2020 what is left to say