What do you think about Logic's built-in ES2 synth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Opinions?

What do you think about Logic's built-in ES2 synth?

meh...

...but it's not irrelevant to think that bad workers always have bad tools, it's still IMO a decent synth to study the base of synthesis

IMO -- the ES2 is one of the greater included synths in Logic Pro X. Definitely a terrific instrument to learn with. Search out YouTube vids by MusicTechHelpGuy... his LOGIC PRO X 201 series has several (free and well done) vids on synthesis and how to use the ES2. There are other vids that are out there too. If you search out "mainstage 80s and beyond" , there are a few mainstage (which are the Logic Pro X synths - including ES2) concerts which include some excellent patches -- many constructed with an ES2.

hth

Joe

Why do you neecd opinions ?
Will it cloud your judgement when everyone says it sounds bad or good , why can't people just judge for themselves ?
True , it's not the greatest sounding and the filters sound a bit weak compared to the latest offering , but it's still a verry decent sounding instrument that is capable enough to make music with
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:02 pm Why do you neecd opinions ?
Will it cloud your judgement when everyone says it sounds bad or good , why can't people just judge for themselves ?
In the age of influencer marketing, vloggers, and opinion makers? Tss tss. :P

Many people, it seems, forgot how to think for themselves. Today they come to the internet to ask random strangers what they should think about something. Even the news media is filled with opinion editorials posing as just-the-facts news articles. Current society caters to this.

I really don't know what to think about that. Opinions? :D

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:02 pm Why do you neecd opinions ?
I'm happy to hear peoples opinions as there are far more plugins available than I have time or interest to test.

I doubt that is valid in this case though. The OP probably uses Logic, otherwise he wouldn't ask about ES2.

Let's face it, most of the "Whats your opinion on XY" threads here ARE created because of a certain insecurity, not because people don't have the time to demo the plugins. I've been there before too, in situations where I wasn't sure about a certain plugin, and wondered if it's just me. That's a bit different to some of those "hold my dick, I don't know what to think" threads out there, though.

Fortunately, our hobby/profession is not that popular that Youtube is plastered with hipster influencers who tell you why this plugin is better than that plugin.

Or maybe the OP uses it extensively and is curious what others think? I own a ton of plugins and like all of them. Its fascinating to see the goofy shit that people say here about them (I especially love the ones where people say stuff like how Spire is weak, etc. So hilarious). At the end of the day it doesnt make a difference what anyone else thinks if you like something but its still interesting to hear opinions, especially if they're rational and well-informed.

I dont know anything about ES2 but went to look at some of the YouTube videos mentioned above. Boy is that UI dated but the thing sounds decent.

Fun fact: according to Amazona magazine, the ES2 cost 279 Euros when it came out in 2002 (as a single plugin, not as part of Logic)

jasonekratz wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:32 am Or maybe the OP uses it extensively and is curious what others think? I own a ton of plugins and like all of them. Its fascinating to see the goofy shit that people say here about them (I especially love the ones where people say stuff like how Spire is weak, etc. So hilarious). At the end of the day it doesnt make a difference what anyone else thinks if you like something but its still interesting to hear opinions, especially if they're rational and well-informed.

I dont know anything about ES2 but went to look at some of the YouTube videos mentioned above. Boy is that UI dated but the thing sounds decent.
Yeah what I think is thin or weak someone else might not. What I think is rich or 'fat' someone else might not. What I think is easy to use someone else might think is either too simplistic or too difficult. Actually I've interacted in a ton of those discussions on here over the past decade or more.

Yet if I base my opinion largely on what others think, I might get the wrong idea and instead be buying into a hive mentality on a topic. I've also done that in previous time here when I was much less experienced. It slowed my production and design development because a lot of the voices here (at least at the time, not sure today) were also inexperienced and were mostly talking out their butts (so to speak).

Now if we want to discuss something in more detail, say 'What do you think about ES2's modulation abilities when it comes to pad design' then we might be able to have a slightly more objective discussion. Or at least a subjective discussion that has a tighter topic. haha

I could just be a downer though. But there are A LOT of youtube videos if one wants to hear what a synth sounds like, or even learn more in detail. For instance someone has 5 part tutorial on ES2 on youtube.

Last edited by claudedefaren on Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:02 pm True , it's not the greatest sounding and the filters sound a bit weak compared to the latest offering , but it's still a verry decent sounding instrument that is capable enough to make music with
well said...

Return to “Instruments”