Dmitry Sches' Thorn VI

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Kian Russell
KVRist
127 posts since 23 Mar, 2019

Post Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:06 pm

Igro wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:11 am
Thorn has some quality problems. It's envelopes are slow. But that's due it's additive nature.
I have a different issue with the envelopes.
If I increase them on a Pad the CPU hits the roof.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
9769 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: Dmitry Sches' Thorn VI

Post Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:12 pm

Which part of the envelope? If you turn release up, then of course it's going to affect your CPU use.
Igro wrote:
Thorn has some quality problems. It's envelopes are slow. But that's due it's additive nature.
What does that have to do with quality? I think they are fine but if you were unhappy you might try using the glitch sequencer to give them more snap.

It's interesting that Steinberg have just released a new HALion instrument, called Simple, that has "Digital" and "Analog" modes and the big difference you hear is that the digital envelopes are way more snappy. Kind of turns popular perception on its head, which means that slow envelopes could be seen as offering a more analogue sound.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 (Core i7, 8GB RAM, Win10), UR44C, Cubase, DUNE, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Vacuum Pro, Substance, Arcsyn, Aparillo, Phase Plant, Pigments, Union, Analog Keys, Ultranova, Uno, Skulpt, Craft 2.

Igro
KVRAF
4226 posts since 26 Apr, 2007 from Noosphere

Post Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:52 am

BONES wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:12 pm
Which part of the envelope? If you turn release up, then of course it's going to affect your CPU use.
Igro wrote:
What does that have to do with quality? I think they are fine but if you were unhappy you might try using the glitch sequencer to give them more snap.
I'm not sure if the problem is with the envelopes exactly. But when i make kicks, the pitch sweep sounds terrible. I'm going to try again today...

Introspective
KVRist
164 posts since 12 Jan, 2004 from Boston, MA

Post Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:55 am

Igro wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:52 am
I'm not sure if the problem is with the envelopes exactly. But when i make kicks, the pitch sweep sounds terrible. I'm going to try again today...
I also have some issues with fast modulation, e.g.: FM modulated by fast envelopes. Lots of aliasing artifacts.

But, FWIW: that does not affect my overall opinion of the synth. It is what it is, and I have proper FM synths for when I need that to be spot-on. [shrug] Thorn's still great at what it does. :)

Igro
KVRAF
4226 posts since 26 Apr, 2007 from Noosphere

Post Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:33 am

Igro wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:52 am
BONES wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:12 pm
Igro wrote:
Ok, just checked. It is fine when modulating the master pitch.

LoveEnigma18
KVRAF
2105 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Post Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:40 pm

Damn, DS Thorn can be currently had for just $15 with the PA survey voucher (or any other $25 voucher, of course). Thought the leap-year $30 deal was the best. Steal at $30, no-excuse at $15. :o

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/customer-survey.html
Never imagined we would get to play with toys in adulthood. :)

PhaseTransition
KVRer
8 posts since 14 Dec, 2019

Post Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:06 am

Thanks for the information! Just picked it up. Great sounding synth. :phones:

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
4195 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:44 am

Finally its cheaper than the transfer from Dmitri... 15$ for some sound sets extra...

Gribs
KVRian
917 posts since 9 Feb, 2007 from San Ramon, California

Post Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:20 am

I haven’t used Diversion in a long time, but it also chewed up CPU like crazy if I turned envelopes up too long on pads. Reducing the load was a matter of careful choice of the decay time.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Teksonik
KVRAF
13357 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:15 am

Tj Shredder wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:44 am
Finally its cheaper than the transfer from Dmitri... 15$ for some sound sets extra...
That transfer fee was from Plugin Alliance not Dmitry. Yes it was his decision to go with PA which I think was a mistake but the money grab came from PA.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

dirtydenver
KVRer
16 posts since 15 Mar, 2020

Post Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:33 pm

Nice! For $15, I'll bite.

telecode
KVRAF
1789 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Post Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:21 pm

I am tempted. Do I need it? its FM synth, right? is it that much better than NI FM8?

toonertik
KVRAF
2423 posts since 15 Feb, 2017 from a worn out vinyl groove

Post Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:46 pm

telecode wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:21 pm
I am tempted. Do I need it? its FM synth, right? is it that much better than NI FM8?
Do I need another... ?
Need/want... hmmm hard call my friend.
It's not really a FM synth as such (yes, it has some FM but not on the level of FM8 ), however.. it does have it's own thing going for it...
OFC, we all know the "taste and try before you buy" mantra.. ;)

I posted this preset I made when I first got Thorn...
If you do take a listen, all that you hear is from just 1.. ONE instance of Thorn.. no drums.. no external FX (and not mastered... bit boomy in places). I'm lazy boy and to play it.. just 1 finger needed on keyboard.. :hihi:
I used it in the OSC at the time and tamed it to fit with other bits...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=511020&start=30

chk071
KVRAF
24033 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:42 am

You can get Thorn for $39.99 at the moment, on Plugin Alliance: https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... thorn.html

Until 5th of April, I think.
Plugins and a DAW. On a operating system. Which runs on a computer.

Rivanni
KVRist
325 posts since 4 Feb, 2017

Post Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:56 am

chk071 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:42 am
You can get Thorn for $39.99 at the moment, on Plugin Alliance: https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... thorn.html

Until 5th of April, I think.
$15 if you use this voucher:
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/customer-survey.html

Was already mentioned here two days ago.

Return to “Instruments”