More than 8 knobs on a remote control page?

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is it possible to have more than 8 knobs on a remote control page? I have a controller with 16 knobs and it'd be great to have built-in automapping that remote control pages provide not just for the first 8 knobs.

You can have 9 but that's all

Thanks for the quick response.

I hope the devs will allow us to have more than 9 knobs in a future version of Bitwig.

Have you noticed the little up/down arrows at the upper right of the Remove Control panel?

Yokai wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:29 am Have you noticed the little up/down arrows at the upper right of the Remove Control panel?
He wants to control 16 values simultaneously.

BufoBufo wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:01 pm
Yokai wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:29 am Have you noticed the little up/down arrows at the upper right of the Remove Control panel?
He wants to control 16 values simultaneously.
He has 16 hands? :hihi:

He has a controller with 16 knobs/encoders...
That should be possible: if moved knob is part of the first collection switch to the first, if knob is part of the second collection switch to the second bank...

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:52 pm He has a controller with 16 knobs/encoders...
That should be possible: if moved knob is part of the first collection switch to the first, if knob is part of the second collection switch to the second bank...
right that would be cool but what if you wanted to control both banks at the same time? probably not possible :(

This is what I'm up against right now. Trying to figure this out to map the BCR2000 to the first 4 pages of the device presets.

and to go even further... i'm really just wanting the first 4 knobs of each of the first 8 pages in the device presets. Will see if its possible.

For my first test i'm just trying to get it working with multiple remoteControls and cursorDevices. So far it seems it seems like the CursorRemoteControlsPage.selectedPageIndex() is not unique per cursorDevice! so I'm at a loss here.

i've also tried making a very large control page... cursorDevice.createCursorRemoteControlsPage(32) but it doesn't seem to extend past the first page so its unhelpful as well...
---------------------------------------------------------------
http://kirkwoodwest.com/

hydrogxn wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:29 am
Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:52 pm He has a controller with 16 knobs/encoders...
right that would be cool but what if you wanted to control both banks at the same time? probably not possible :(
In a Midi stream there is no „at the same time“. If you move two knobs at the same time, it will send those values one after the other but interwoven. If you play a chord, it is arpeggiated within a few milliseconds. If I play my Linnstrument, it looks like I send 3 values for each finger (and I have 10 of them) at the same time, but they are all sent in a row one after each other. Before the next Midi command arrives, you can do a lot of switching and mangling...

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:08 am In a Midi stream there is no „at the same time“. If you move two knobs at the same time, it will send those values one after the other but interwoven. If you play a chord, it is arpeggiated within a few milliseconds. If I play my Linnstrument, it looks like I send 3 values for each finger (and I have 10 of them) at the same time, but they are all sent in a row one after each other. Before the next Midi command arrives, you can do a lot of switching and mangling...
ahh ok... ninja shit. im just thinking about this. i cannot sleep over this problem.

are you able to have bidirectional feedback for the LED rings in the controller...not sure how that will work considering only 8 controls are marked interested at a time in the CursorRemoteControl.

at the moment i turn one knob and then it sends the feedback for all the other knobs on the same page. Gonna look at this some more when im at my terminal later today.

You can address two pages at the same time no problem, just create two (or more) CursorRemoteControlsPage entries and control away. In one of the scripts I wrote for the Platform-M the faders were using one page and the rotaries above another - in your case the first 8 knobs would control the odd pages and the second 8 would control the even ones... Then just jump in steps of two...

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

ThomasHelzle wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:44 am You can address two pages at the same time no problem, just create two (or more) CursorRemoteControlsPage entries and control away. In one of the scripts I wrote for the Platform-M the faders were using one page and the rotaries above another - in your case the first 8 knobs would control the odd pages and the second 8 would control the even ones... Then just jump in steps of two...

Cheers,

Tom
how do i create a set of remote controls that do NOT follow the selection... this is the error i get when creating the remoteControl on my cursor track... maybe there is another way?

Can only create one set of main remote controls that follow the selection
Zbe: Can only create one set of main remote controls that follow the selection
at com.bitwig.flt.control_surface.proxy.DeviceProxy.createCursorRemoteControlsPage(SourceFile:235)

ThomasHelzle wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:44 am In one of the scripts I wrote for the Platform-M the faders were using one page and the rotaries above another - in your case the first 8 knobs would control the odd pages and the second 8 would control the even ones... Then just jump in steps of two...
Also thanks for your reply Tom. This gives me some hope. Is it possible you have this script somewhere available online? Something must be different with how you have the remote control page set up.

No, it's not online but this is the part that is setting up the cursor pages:

Code: Select all

followMode = CursorDeviceFollowMode.FOLLOW_SELECTION;
	cursorDevice = cursorTrack.createCursorDevice("Current", "Current", 24, followMode);

// Cursor pages for the Remote Controls:
	cursorPageDummy = cursorDevice.createCursorRemoteControlsPage(8);
	// Master Fader with 3 modes:
	cursorPage0 = cursorDevice.createCursorRemoteControlsPage("CursorPage0", 3, "");
	// Cursor pages for Faders and Knobs:
	cursorPage1 = cursorDevice.createCursorRemoteControlsPage("CursorPage1", 8, "");
	cursorPage2 = cursorDevice.createCursorRemoteControlsPage("CursorPage2", 8, "");
This was all rather involved.
When selecting a track, the script would search for a device with a specific name and lock onto it when it existed, otherwise it would follow the user selection of devices.
The (ninth) master fader had three modes (always using the very first page with just 3 parameters) which was using cursorPage0.

To select the page you want to use, look at this snippet:

Code: Select all

var NumPages = cursorPage0.pageNames().get().length;
			var SelPage = this.mode * 4 + this.submode * 2; // + 1;
			if(SelPage <= NumPages) {
				cursorPage1.selectedPageIndex().set(SelPage);
				cursorPage2.selectedPageIndex().set(SelPage +1);
				cursorPageDummy.selectedPageIndex().set(Mode.getPage1());
So basically checking how many pages there are, then somehow compute your current position/mode from however your script is structured and then select the page you want for each cursorPage. This was fully controlled by the script, not by what page was selected manually in the BWS GUI.

The dummy page was used for selecting a specific page in the device for visual reference in the GUI only, so one could see the page from the last knob/fader used, independent from the actually controlling cursors - you can maybe ignore that.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

LIFESAVER! TOM YOU ARE THE WINNER <3.

wish that was more documented in the instructions... I found many references to not being able to do this on the bitwig Q&A...

but whatever i'm stoked now!!!
Last edited by hydrogxn on Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Controller Scripting”