T-racks 5 - how to remove plugins you do not own

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:35 pm Edit - but I can put in a request for T(eksonik)-RackS now :D
Don't bother. The request to remove the plugins we don't own from showing on the bottom right hand side of the shell was made two years ago.

I own most of the TRacks plugins now so not a big deal but like I said the solution I offered above allows users to install all the plugins if they wish or only the ones they own keeping all the others from installing.

I'm sure all those people who gave "user feedback" would understand. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Here's My proposed solution: modify the Custom Shop to also be a download manager/installer. Allow users to just install what they own, but make it easy to download and activate a demo right from the Custom Shop.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:26 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:06 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:28 pm
InsertNameHere wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:54 am How the heck do I make it so I only see the plugins I actually own?!
Delete the stuff you don't own ...
Or for the plugin versions, as mentioned above many DAWs do have plugin management or at very least the ability to create groups or folders. That's what I would typically use to organize my plugins and if I didn't have them all that's how I'd manage T-RackS processors.
Yeah , but what a hassle when you could offer an installer with the option to select what you want to install (including an everything option), rather than automatically installing everything IK sell. It doesn't make me want to buy more IK plugins ... it has the opposite effect.
Dear Peter - IK Multimedia,
I have also a few IK Products and I like them, but I totally agree with thecontrolcentre.
You mentioned that an install of all your plugins in one go is good for demoing reasons...
But imagine what happens, if all plugin manufacturers would act the same as your company does?
We do not only have IK-Stuff but a minimum of 30-40 different plugin vendors on our computers...
We all would have to buy a bunch of additional hard drives because of their entire plugin catalogue.
Now let's be honest: if you want to install one plugin (the preferred one that you paid for) and the installer asks you that you also have the possibility to install all plugins, what would you choose...? :wink:
Nearly nobody would choose the option to install all.
But if you force your customers to install them completely, it doesn't make them want to buy more.
It has the opposite effect: it's annoying and has nothing to do with service...

PS:
To ged rid off all other IK (demo-) plugins, I navigate to my plugin folder and delete all unwanted IK-DLL's manually.
They do not show in my DAW-List anymore and that works perfectly for me. :phones:
And no: I don't want to hide the unwanted plugins in my DAW, I want them to be deleted from my computer.

There is no possible way that the majority of current or future customers would prefer this. Even Slate Digital eventually changed their VMR installer to accommodate, and they're among the most aggressively marketed audio software companies out there.

So for those of us who run our OS on small capacity SSD's, the IK attitude to forcing over 1GB of software you haven't paid for is clearly "we don't care."

nonstatic wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:59 pm So for those of us who run our OS on small capacity SSD's, the IK attitude to forcing over 1GB of software you haven't paid for is clearly "we don't care."
When they'll start losing customers they'll start to care. So vote with your wallet.

Not only I haven't bought anything for some years now, but I also haven't installed any IK piece of crap (that would otherwise be ok or good but no longer matters) that I already own.
Last edited by ZINO on Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I really really liked the Tape Machines. I truly would've bought them if I didn't have to deal with a 1.5GB installer and manually cleaning up files I'll never want or need, etc. I had to sit there a long time when installing the demo, wondering if I should choose VST2 or VST3, as each was 750MB in size, when all I wanted was the tape plugins. The CPU hit didn't help things, but would've been fine if used as a true tape player to print through. They lost my sale. Which still makes me disappointed, because they really do sound good.

I have no IK software. This is my first, and probably last, experience with the company. Other companies have monolithic installers, which are also incredibly annoying, but allow you to pick and choose which plugins to install.

I've been a UX Designer and User Researcher for 20 years. In my experience, this company gives the appearance it is run by the Marketing department (or as good as).

vitocorleone123 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:23 pm I've been a UX Designer and User Researcher for 20 years. In my experience, this company gives the appearance it is run by the Marketing department (or as good as).
My bet is on an opinionated big shareholder/owner...

I agree that their installer is a bad one. Most user's plugin folders are on SSD and they have a limited number of write operations. If there is an update for a single plugin and to do that, you have to write gigabytes of data, it's not only bad usability but also decreases lifetime of your hardware.

That was the only reason, why I wanted to sell my IK account, but no one wanted to buy it :)

Some their plugins are good, but not the installation manager.

cprompt wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:20 pm
soulone82 wrote:Because they are a scum company.
Care to substantiate that somewhat libellous and immature claim? I mean, that's just a dumb thing to say, it really is. If you don't like their plugins, fine, but your comment added nothing to this topic and did nothing to answer the original question. Really, your comment added nothing of any use to anyone.

To the OP, yeah, I get the problem, but each plugin (certainly for VSTs) is its own file that you can remove from your plugin folder. It's not an elegant answer or the best one, I get it, but it is what it is. At least it can be done.
That's not a libelous statement, it's an opinion.

If you use Logic Pro, you could choose the plugins that will be indicated in the FX slot via Plug In Manager
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I don't know if IKM realizes how many people are turned off from their products for precisely this reason. They make fantastic products but it's stuff like this that puts me off from using their plugins.

They had a brilliant T-Racks classic. It was THAT which got me hooked to IKM (shortly after ST2.5 and Sonik Synth). I still think they're usable products. But having to figure out which ones I own and which ones I don't is enough of a pain I don't even bother with the plugs.

keyman_sam wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:45 am I don't know if IKM realizes how many people are turned off from their products for precisely this reason. They make fantastic products but it's stuff like this that puts me off from using their plugins.

They had a brilliant T-Racks classic. It was THAT which got me hooked to IKM (shortly after ST2.5 and Sonik Synth). I still think they're usable products. But having to figure out which ones I own and which ones I don't is enough of a pain I don't even bother with the plugs.
But you know they're working on that for the next version of T-Racks.

Or use the current Group Buy to get all T-Racks plugins. Problem solved! :D

This is something I hate too about T Racks. I have T Racks 3, and some of the individual plugins, which are now V5, yet i've got a bunch in the options. Really annoying and lazy by IKM that they can't only show the ones you own.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

I still miss the one-page T-Racks classic they had. I'm glad they ported the legacy presets to the current T-Racks tho. It's pretty underrated imo.

ZINO wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:12 pm
nonstatic wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:59 pm So for those of us who run our OS on small capacity SSD's, the IK attitude to forcing over 1GB of software you haven't paid for is clearly "we don't care."
When they'll start losing customers they'll start to care. So vote with your wallet.

Not only I haven't bought anything for some years now, but I also haven't installed any IK piece of crap (that would otherwise be ok or good but no longer matters) that I already own.
Well this is the sort of thing that's hard to quantify. We can only make our voices heard through threads this like (which probably echo the sentiments of 100x the participants here).

I see the Group Buy & I'm interested. I see products I like to own. Then I see I don't even use the products I already have from the Total Max 2 bundle. Why not? Because half of them are unwanted 'demo's. Then I make the conclusion "nah one more plugin or bundle from IKM that I won't use, let's skip it".

It's hard to quantify that thought process.

Return to “Effects”