Live 10 Suite demo free to use for 90 days

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

onebitboy wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:54 pm It's in ProgramData so that automatic updates can be installed without UAC prompts.
That's a poor justification. Many other programs have updates, and are not installed in ProgramData. That folder is NOT for programs, period. And I would certainly not want any program to install anything without my knowledge and authorization.
Fernando (FMR)

Distorted Horizon wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:58 pm I'm safe..

Bitwig does many things so much better that I'll just stick with it and I uninstalled the ableshit.
I still wonder why the Bitwig fanboys always feel the urge to troll in Ableton threads. I guess it must be frustrating when your favorite DAW gets almost no support by hardware manufacturers and mobile app designers because of a negligible market share.

Reefius wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:26 pmI still wonder why the Bitwig fanboys always feel the urge to troll in Ableton threads.
Yeah, I heard some of them even dare to open threads about Ableton!!! :o

Anyway, considering many people are trying Live now, Sadowick made a great tutorial going slowly & meticulously through all of it in 29 episodes (for now) - check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 3M4AT7I3Z0
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Maybe it's just a not so subtle way of discouraging offline authorization
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Reefius wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:26 pm

Bitwig does many things so much better that I'll just stick with it and I uninstalled the ableshit.
I still wonder why the Bitwig fanboys always feel the urge to troll in Ableton threads. I guess it must be frustrating when your favorite DAW gets almost no support by hardware manufacturers and mobile app designers because of a negligible market share.
Not a fanboy, I used live for years before switching to bws. I'm aware about hw support in live (I also mentioned that earlier in this thread), bws just gives me stuff that live doesn't. And v10 didn't change that.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:03 pm
Reefius wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:26 pm

Not a fanboy, I used live for years before switching to bws. I'm aware about hw support in live (I also mentioned that earlier in this thread), bws just gives me stuff that live doesn't. And v10 didn't change that.
It depends on how you use things, but Bitwig does not do what I want it to, and it's limited and finicky in what it does do that I want it to. And if you hadn't called it ableshit, we wouldn't be having this conversation. That was in no way shape or form, useful or on topic.

And now I'm off topic as well since I don't know why it would keep wanting to reauthorize unless there were some sort of permissions issue with the file.

jonljacobi wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:16 pmfinicky in what it does
It's fascinating how subjective opinions are (well, obvious too - but still :) ). After switching to Bitwig few years back I'm always surprised how "stiff and rigid" Live feels comparatively. Mind you, there's nothing wrong with it, as for example Reason gives me that impression too and I love it. Just an observation on how we perceive - and verbalise, perhaps? - things :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

jonljacobi wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:16 pm It depends on how you use things, but Bitwig does not do what I want it to, and it's limited and finicky in what it does do that I want it to. And if you hadn't called it ableshit, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
True, we all have different needs. And ableshit probably was a bit childish :oops:

Digic wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:32 pm I've downloaded and installed the trial on my Win 10 laptop. Authorized online.
But everytime i open Ableton its asking for authorization and then automatically authorize it again.
I've tried rebooting the laptop, run Ableton as admin, and i did "take folders ownership" stuff, but it still doing that authorization thing every time i open the program.
is that normal behaviour or am i missing something ? :shrug:
Did you try offline authorisation?
https://www.ableton.com/en/account/authorize/offline/

Digic wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:46 am I've made a quick screen capture with OBS for you to see the problem that i'm having

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbM9S5xgQr4
It was years since I used the trial (+ or - 5 years, Live 9), and I only used it a bit, maybe it always had that message.

I mean, seems it authorizes and works fine right? I thought it was not authorizing at all.

For the other people trying to help: the Trial has no offline authorization.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... -and-Setup

Kinda hints the Trial may check online every startup, and hence that popup is normal for Trial.

But not sure, maybe somebody else using the trial can confirm.

To me it looks like the popup at startup is normal, it's just a reminder that it's running in trial mode. This popup does not appear with a full license.

If save and export works then it should be fine. After the 90 day trial this should stop working until you buy a license.

antic604 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:22 pm
jonljacobi wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:16 pmfinicky in what it does
It's fascinating how subjective opinions are (well, obvious too - but still :) ). After switching to Bitwig few years back I'm always surprised how "stiff and rigid" Live feels comparatively. Mind you, there's nothing wrong with it, as for example Reason gives me that impression too and I love it. Just an observation on how we perceive - and verbalise, perhaps? - things :)
Indeed. It has a lot to do with how you use the DAW, and most DAWs are so versatile that they can be employed in many roles and in many ways. Recording, music construction, sound creation, clip-launching, timelines... I do actually find Live rigid, but I also find it extremely clever, fast and efficient now that I've accepted its ways and learned the workarounds.

Bitwig gives me fits just trying to surf the timeline and time correct audio performances and there are no workarounds for what I want to do. I check it out again at every revision and it remains frozen at 1.3 in the features I use/want. In other ways, it's very unique and powerful. Some people love it, and good for them. Whatever floats your boat.

jonljacobi wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:53 pm Indeed. It has a lot to do with how you use the DAW, and most DAWs are so versatile that they can be employed in many roles and in many ways. Recording, music construction, sound creation, clip-launching, timelines... I do actually find Live rigid, but I also find it extremely clever, fast and efficient now that I've accepted its ways and learned the workarounds.

Bitwig gives me fits just trying to surf the timeline and time correct audio performances and there are no workarounds for what I want to do. I check it out again at every revision and it remains frozen at 1.3 in the features I use/want. In other ways, it's very unique and powerful. Some people love it, and good for them. Whatever floats your boat.
I am constantly checking to see if Bitwig has a new beta that might finally improve the handful of super-nitpicky things I can't get along with (transport control & automation) ;) I really like the flexibility of Bitwig and are always like 90% there to jump ship from Live, but at the end of the day, my current workflow still keeps me in Live, or at least coming back to it all the time (I'm also drawn to Studio One, but I am one of those people Studio One does not seem to like and keeps crashing :( ).
Frequently changing DAW of choice...

I started with Bitwig in beta, and was pretty stoked about the future at one point, but nothing that I needed was fixed or improved, and to be honest, I didn't find the 2.x interface an improvement at all. Quite the contrary. But I do basic recording and use realistic sampled instruments for most of what I don't record and they are completely focused on other areas. Little, easily fixable things I reported in 1.x just kill me and every time I try the latest version and they're not fixed, my interest wanes a bit more. S1's interface is so cluttered it drives me nuts.

Instead, I finally learned Live's little tricks and get stuff done. At least when I'm not writing here. ;-)

WasteLand wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:21 pm
https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/spectral-textures/

i am not that keen on sound libraries, i don't know this pack. perhaps it is quite nice. i shall try it.
don't know if you can get it, if you have a trial version, for free, seems so.
Thanks for posting the link. I hadn't seen this one ... looks like it's a sample based instrument, rather than a sample library. Very nice free gift imho
Spectral Textures
by Ableton

One part field recordings and one part additive synthesis, Spectral Textures is a unique instrument that blends together two distinct worlds of sound to create vibrant atmospheres, textures and progressions.
Conceived and assembled by musician and sound designer Uwe Zahn aka Arovane, Spectral Textures comes with a wealth of presets that are perfectly suited for film scoring and creating textures for games or radio jingles. Of course, Spectral Textures can and should be used as an inspirational starting point for your own compositions.

The majority of Spectral Textures’ presets consist of two sound elements – spectral samples created with a digital additive synthesizer and field recordings – in combination with effects. Live's Ping Pong Delay and Reverb add space and dimension to the sounds. Live’s Vocoder along with the frequency modulation capabilities of Sampler are also employed to emphasize spectral components of the samples. Some presets have a “wavescan” feature which lets you move through the spectral samples dynamically by using the modulation wheel.

Sourced from an abandoned garden center in eastern Germany, an assortment of unique field recordings infuse many of Spectral Textures with a vibrant, real-world timbres. The site’s dilapidated greenhouse and a variety of scattered metal, wood and glass objects found there provided some truly fascinating sound sources. To name just a few, rusting car engines and scrap metal heaps became vibrating sound sculptures. Old roof tiles and bricks played back tonal sounds and a broom stroking a wooden door created a dense harmonic structure. As always, exploring the experimental nature of the sounds can provide a catalyst for your own creations.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”