New Linux builds, updated to rev. 9775

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

lunardigs wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:28 am I'm still having the 'non-closing window' issue.
What I have noticed is that if you just open a plugin window in Bitwig 3.1, and you don't move it around, then you can close it with the x symbol.
But if you move the plugin on the screen, then the x won't work instantly, you'd have to click the x and then start dragging the plugin to make it disappear.
Unfortunately I don't have any plugins from other developers on the Linux VM, so I can't determine if this happens only with our plugins, or if this is a general Bitwig issue.

Well, on Bitwig best way to close a plugin window is to use the device GUI button: that works all the time.

Yesterday I had a rehearsal and I recorded 7 drum tracks from microphones while playing several updated u-he plugins as a base... a couple of Repro-1, a Diva, two Hive, a ColourCopy...
I experienced severe xruns, the time-line jumped and desync... I never had this issue before.
It seems to me like the plugins were in vst3 "moon mode" and didn't went up in time or not reliably, causing the xruns.
That's, clearly, my speculation. I will try again these days. Nevertheless, it's strange.
Have any of you experienced something like that?
Bitwig 3.1.2, buffer 512 48Khz, avg load ~45%
Fabrizio

tasmaniandevil wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:48 am
lunardigs wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:28 am I'm still having the 'non-closing window' issue.
What I have noticed is that if you just open a plugin window in Bitwig 3.1, and you don't move it around, then you can close it with the x symbol.
But if you move the plugin on the screen, then the x won't work instantly, you'd have to click the x and then start dragging the plugin to make it disappear.
Unfortunately I don't have any plugins from other developers on the Linux VM, so I can't determine if this happens only with our plugins, or if this is a general Bitwig issue.
The behavior for me occurs whether the window has ever been moved or not. It seems to improve upon subsequent openings and closings of a given plugin. Although, that could be my flaky perception.
Moreover, I don't think there's a particular U-he plugin which exhibits this behavior more than another.

As far as other brand VSTs go, there none yet which I've also observed this behavior. Most are far simpler than a given U-he plugin though.
Btw, I'm using Bitwig 3.1.2 here as well.

Great! The new builds are shiny!
Concerning the other Ardour/Mixbus host bugs: as long as they are fixed in the v6 branch I'm perfectly fine.. There is still one bug in Ardour 5.12 (fixed in the V6 branch), which is the GUI resizing to sizes > 100%. Mixbus already fixed that.
Thanks again,
Alberto

Just stopping by to thank you for the continuous support. I look forward to upgrade my collection!

Just updated both my Zebra2 and Dark Zebra versions and I'm happy to say they are running perfectly! I use my own custom installation of linux based on ubuntu server 19.10 with the lubuntu lxqt-core overlaid on it. Minimal and clean qt desktop set up just the way I like it. Installed a RT low latency kernal with alsa and jackd2 to handle audio and it works a treat. :)

Having 4 combs in the Dark Horse absolutely makes my day! Thank you! I simply enjoy creating new sounds using comb filtering and it's a incredibly versatile mode. I've been using Triple Cheese for years and all I've wanted was a just a wee bit more "clarity" from it (just a bit less cheese). I'll be experimenting with the multiple combs in Z2HZ for years ... :)

(But don't forget to update TC too! It's simply amazing how little TC consumes in CPU cycles, how simple it is to setup and use and how many instances will run at a single time. :) )
“I'd far rather be happy than right any day.” ~ Arthur Dent, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

I am testing out the very latest U-he plugins in Ardour6.0 Pre1 Build 143

Some U-he stuff works ok and some are working but not if I try to open the GUI
Filed a bug on the Ardour bug tracking portal but they point me to U-he for a solution.
https://tracker.ardour.org/view.php?id=7970

Did some more testing in previous nightly builds with the same error.
Went back to stock Ardour 5.12 and noticed the exact same behavior.

Everything runs fine in Carla however which is what I mainly use but Ardour is equally important for me at least. Below is a list of the result. I am running this on a regular Ubuntu Studio 19.10 laptop

Seg faults:
ZebraHZ-9724, Repro1-9669, Repro5-9669
(Repro1 and Repro5 is technically the same linvst binary)

Works ok:
Diva-9775, ColourCopy-9775,Hive-9775,Presswerk-9775,Zebra2-9775,Satin-9775,

the seg faulting linVSTs above works fine in Carla on the same machine

I leave it here so others can chime in and report if they have the same problem

/Anders
AZZIN wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:18 pm Great! The new builds are shiny!
Concerning the other Ardour/Mixbus host bugs: as long as they are fixed in the v6 branch I'm perfectly fine.. There is still one bug in Ardour 5.12 (fixed in the V6 branch), which is the GUI resizing to sizes > 100%. Mixbus already fixed that.
Thanks again,
Alberto

I started to see intermittent crashes as the 6.x branch was being developed, as well as increasing x-runs. Right before 6.x was tagged pre, everything I use was crashing. I haven't had the time to try to get backtraces, so I haven't filed bug reports. It does seem like endless problems between crashes, high CPU use, and x-runs with me and Ardour.

Subarumannen wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:42 pm Some U-he stuff works ok and some are working but not if I try to open the GUI
Filed a bug on the Ardour bug tracking portal but they point me to U-he for a solution.
The crash when opening the GUI in Ardour was fixed in the revision 9775 builds posted in the first post of this thread.
ZebraHZ 9724 and Repro 9669 will crash, since they are not revision 9775.

Zebra2 9775 is crashing 6.0 pre1 built from git today. DIVA and Hive 9775 are working, as well as other earlier versions of ACE, Bazille, and Repro. HZ 8256 crashes, but of course under the circumstances. Link is the GDB backtrace:

https://pastebin.com/eMcR4kHw

It starts and sits there until I press a key on a MIDI controller.

Greetings;

I'm running the latest Reaper (6.08) on Ubuntu 19.10 with a quad core i7.

I just downloaded and installed Zebra2 9775, and I still get crashes from the GUI. The VSTi3 version doesn't crash immediately after being selected in the FX window like it used to, but both VSTi3 and VSTi versions crash when clicking certain parameters in the GUI.

Would it be helpful for me to list the controls that cause Reaper to crash?

Heya, thank you for new builds.
tested new Podolski 9775 and it's working fine in Reaper 5.9.9.
However I do like presets - list colors in previous version, see screenshot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

skottish wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:48 pm Zebra2 9775 is crashing 6.0 pre1 built from git today.
When exactly does it crash, when opening the GUI, or when playing a note, or when loading a preset, or ...? VST2 or VST3 version? And which Linux, and which desktop environment?
The GUI opening crashes had been fixed by Alex, so that one should hopefully not happen anymore with 9775.
But there are other known crashes which are host problems, and need to be addressed by Ardour.

SmoothMountain wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:09 pmWould it be helpful for me to list the controls that cause Reaper to crash?
Yes, certainly, the more information, the better. :wink:

tasmaniandevil wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:15 am
skottish wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:48 pm Zebra2 9775 is crashing 6.0 pre1 built from git today.
When exactly does it crash, when opening the GUI, or when playing a note, or when loading a preset, or ...? VST2 or VST3 version? And which Linux, and which desktop environment?
The GUI opening crashes had been fixed by Alex, so that one should hopefully not happen anymore with 9775.
But there are other known crashes which are host problems, and need to be addressed by Ardour.
It's happening at note on. The GUI fires up, is responsive, and I haven't been able to reproduced it in any other way. Zebrify seems to work perfectly.

VST2. Arch Linux stable (except Mesa's at 19.3.4). Openbox. Normally ALSA, but Jack back end is crashing as well. Kernel 5.5.13.arch2-1. Radeon R9 270x. AMD Ryzen 7 2700x. amdgpu, modesetting, radeonsi. Reaper works fine.

Return to “u-he Linux support”