Understanding about new API stuff in 3.1 & using the included Documentation

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok... just getting into Bitwig Scripting since last week and just finished #8 of the videos. These were pretty next level Jürgen Moßgraber! thank you.

I get so confused reading the Control Surface API documentation. If anybody has some pointers as to how to utilize this in their workflow and understanding of bitwigs scripting capabilities. I would be very appreciative. Obviousy Jurgen cannot make a tutorial for every class... but knowing how to explore this documentation so we can come to our own conclusion would be helpful.

For example... how do I understand the HardwareSurface class? Is this a Java Only thing? or Javascript? why is this class important?

Another thing that confused me too... is in the Resources folder there is the ControllerScripts which is written in .js and the Bitwig.bwextensions in Extensions. Which one does bitwig use when I'm using the app?

Kind of just wishing I knew how to dive deeper on my own but don't know how to get there except by going through examples. And also who is Jürgen Moßgraber? does he work for bitwig?

so many questions. I'm sure i'll be back for more. In the meantime I'm enjoying reading this forum and finding what you guys have written here. <3
---------------------------------------------------------------
http://kirkwoodwest.com/

hydrogxn wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:58 pm Ok... just getting into Bitwig Scripting since last week and just finished #8 of the videos. These were pretty next level Jürgen Moßgraber! thank you.
You are welcome!
hydrogxn wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:58 pm I get so confused reading the Control Surface API documentation. If anybody has some pointers as to how to utilize this in their workflow and understanding of bitwigs scripting capabilities. I would be very appreciative. Obviousy Jurgen cannot make a tutorial for every class... but knowing how to explore this documentation so we can come to our own conclusion would be helpful.
Yes, the new hardware API is complex and needs some explanation. Now that with 3.1.3 it is pretty stable and I am planning to do a tutorial for it soon but it requires some preparation.
hydrogxn wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:58 pm For example... how do I understand the HardwareSurface class? Is this a Java Only thing? or Javascript? why is this class important?
Bitwig focuses more on Java and the Hardware API is only tested with Java. The reason is that no such thing as a "simple script" exists and therefore Java is the better language for the task.
hydrogxn wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:58 pm Another thing that confused me too... is in the Resources folder there is the ControllerScripts which is written in .js and the Bitwig.bwextensions in Extensions. Which one does bitwig use when I'm using the app?
Both. It depends on which device you select to add. The old scripts were written in JavaScript. Now, Bitwig people also implement them in Java.
hydrogxn wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:58 pm Kind of just wishing I knew how to dive deeper on my own but don't know how to get there except by going through examples.
If you followed my Video tutorial you are pretty ready to go.
hydrogxn wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:58 pm And also who is Jürgen Moßgraber?
It's me, hi!
hydrogxn wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:58 pmdoes he work for bitwig?
No. But I have a pretty good relationship to the team. It is a very intensive hobby :-)

moss wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:34 am Yes, the new hardware API is complex and needs some explanation. Now that with 3.1.3 it is pretty stable and I am planning to do a tutorial for it soon but it requires some preparation.
I'm very much looking forward to this Hardware API explanation!! Thank You!
moss wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:34 am Bitwig focuses more on Java and the Hardware API is only tested with Java. The reason is that no such thing as a "simple script" exists and therefore Java is the better language for the task.
Ahh ok! I appreciated that you explored the OSC extension with both Java and Javascript! I also wanted to say thanks for making that Java migration tutorial. That is my next move after I write my first script using Javascript. I appreciate the framework model that you made with the Javascript and different objects to manage the different aspects (transport, tracks, etc). It made it so simple to get going.
moss wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:34 am No. But I have a pretty good relationship to the team. It is a very intensive hobby :-)
I don't have much right now but i will like to paypal you some $ in this case. I would appreciate it if Bitwig was paying you... Your tutorials are the reason I upgraded to the next update to bitwig and was honestly disappointing with their lack of help on the matter (even tho this is a bullet point on the 3.1 release). Better than ableton live i suppose... :)

Thanks also that you teach how set up a JAVA IDE to accomplish this. I'm sure I'll be back for more questions... but you also asked that I look deeper into the tutorials for my answers. So I will do this first. <3 <3

Total teaser on the new HardwareDevice! :) :)

thats slick to have arp control on the hardware level of a midi interface!!!!! gonna implement that one 100% in my system.

Anyways... I loved the video moss. So Helpful! Thank you for this!

Return to “Controller Scripting”