What piece of gear helped you speed up or improve your workflow the most?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mouse wheel

Aloysius wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:37 pm a kazoo, so I can quickly come up with melodic lines
turn that kazoo into a wind midi controller you may have something there...

:idea:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

HREQ wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:00 am Just curious, what gear helped you guys the most with getting compositions down, or producing, or mixing...

I’m debating getting a 88key midi controller, or a workstation, or a mini keyboard and good monitors and headphones, or some other things, right now I just use piano roll
A keyboard, no doubt about it in my mind. If you use a laptop (like me), then it makes sense to have a small one, say a cheap Nektar keyboard. (An 88 key controller on top of that (well, not literally :hihi:) makes sense, if you have money for it. Knobs and pads are fun, but I think if not anything else, then a mini keyboard (say 25 keys).

...and then a guitar (and, if you need it, online lessons, say from Fender). Like Forgotten said: a guitar and a keyboard gives you a wide range of possibilities.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Ableton Push 2

A field recorder with external mics - most of my paid work uses them. I started with a Sony minidisc that was amazingly quiet - even by modern standards. Currently use a Sony M10 and a Tascam DR100mkIII with microphones like the FEL Clippy, LOM mikroUsi, various contact mics, hydrophones, larger condensers.

Also:
good monitors (Adam A7) - but good headphones if you cant afford something like the Adams

Software probably Izotope RX but for music Kontakt

Any good analog style hardware synth really. It's very liberating to just starting a track with a good synth and you don't have to mouse around or go into menus. Just start making stuff. I love it.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Monitors and good headphones.
Midi controller too, although I don't consider it necessary. But my first Launchpad was fun, with those colors and lights.

YouTube Video Tutorials
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:17 pm YouTube P0rnhub Video Tutorials
FTFY

:hihi:

Winstontaneous wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:46 pm Ableton Push 2
is it really worth it?
how did it boost your workflow?

thank you

Just curious, what gear helped you guys the most with getting compositions down, or producing, or mixing...
Actually... none?

I tried to mess with some nice controllers, but eventully do everything with mouse and software.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DrGonzo wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:20 am Any good analog style hardware synth really. It's very liberating to just starting a track with a good synth and you don't have to mouse around or go into menus. Just start making stuff. I love it.
Actually a very good point. There is something "classy" about playing the first chords on your own hardware synth. (Could be a bit expensive though, especially when compared to a minikey controller.)
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

A cop-out but my keylab mk2! having the daw controls right on it speeds up so much!

Whken I started making music in the mid 1980's I was into the idea that more and better gear would help me make better music.

To some extent that was true.

If you wanted to make electronic music back then you'd want a sequencer a multi-track recorder etc...

That required money I didn't had at that time.

Of course with the digital era that changed.

Today I've got quite a few plug-ins.

To get to your questio.

What helped me the most was to scale back.

The DAW is of course essential.

As for instruments and audio processing tools I've scaled back a lot.

I've also started to use hardware instruments more (especially since I bought my Moog Subsequent 37 :-D )

On our upcoming release "Condemnation" and on our ongoing project Nori (Ubukata - the man who , among other things, made the Synth Giants collection for SynthMaster) only used two synths. They are of very different types.

Yet the sound is very rich and of great variety.

It does help a lot to become a very close friend to just a small collection of gear. Know them well.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”