8137 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:22 pm

Lucastyle wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:35 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:39 am
Lucastyle wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:32 am
I hope it sees the light of day soon this wait has felt longer than any other product, maybe cytomic's the scream is comparable and with this stay at home situation I'm desperate for new toys to put my mind into for distraction.
I guess you weren't around when Imposcar 2 was announced. ;)
I remember Dave Spiers mentioning something about it somewhere but luckily I was not a KVR regular by then or wasn't paying to much attention
Yeah it took a couple years even after it had been shown publicly.
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1, Bitwig 3, Steinberg UR44.

Touch The Universe
KVRAF
4015 posts since 2 Oct, 2008

Re: Upcoming Synapse OB-Xa

Post Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:25 pm

This thing sounds really good. Would be very surprised if kevin makes an edm soundset though, and not a retro one.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

v1o
KVRAF
2207 posts since 2 Oct, 2004

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:57 am

SLiC wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:36 am
Ingonator wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:46 am
SLiC wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:13 am
bx_Oberhausen pretty much cured my gas for an OB sound so I am in no hurry. If you are waiting and you haven't tried it you realy should....its pretty easy to get hold of for very little dosh with all the PA sales and vouchers around!
This comparison is quite pointless as Bx_oberhausen is based on a discrete SEM filter design while the OB-Xa used 2 CEM 3320 filter chips per voice (one chip for the SVF 2-pole LPF and one for the OTA cascade 4-pole LPF).

It not just the filter but also the oscillators and envelopes are different.

The point is that if you want a synth that sounds similar to a SEM then the OB-Xa is a wrong choice no matter if it is the hardware synth or a plugin. On the other hand the OB-Xa sounds great on it's own and same is true for the plugin (which i am testing and and doing sound design with at the moment...).

Besides that the upocoming OB-Xa plugin includes multiple advanced/additional features that make it more versatile than the real thing.
I'm not sure I would know or hear the difference, I am a guitarist ;-)

I either like the way a synth sounds or I don't - Bx_oberhausen soumds very good to me (and I though the Arturia SEM sounded pretty good to) so maybe I will like the OB-Xa or maybe I won't- but as I cant play with a demo, I will have to play with other things!
You had serious GAS for an Oberheim synth emulation. But you don't think you would hear the difference between synths with entirely different oscs, filters and envelopes?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Kian Russell
KVRist
131 posts since 23 Mar, 2019

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:03 am

I hope Sonic Syndicate knock this out at a fair price given we already have some good OB variations at a fair price point.
£50.00 tops after which I am out.

SLiC
KVRAF
5041 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:10 am

v1o wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:57 am
SLiC wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:36 am
Ingonator wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:46 am
SLiC wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:13 am
bx_Oberhausen pretty much cured my gas for an OB sound so I am in no hurry. If you are waiting and you haven't tried it you realy should....its pretty easy to get hold of for very little dosh with all the PA sales and vouchers around!
This comparison is quite pointless as Bx_oberhausen is based on a discrete SEM filter design while the OB-Xa used 2 CEM 3320 filter chips per voice (one chip for the SVF 2-pole LPF and one for the OTA cascade 4-pole LPF).

It not just the filter but also the oscillators and envelopes are different.

The point is that if you want a synth that sounds similar to a SEM then the OB-Xa is a wrong choice no matter if it is the hardware synth or a plugin. On the other hand the OB-Xa sounds great on it's own and same is true for the plugin (which i am testing and and doing sound design with at the moment...).

Besides that the upocoming OB-Xa plugin includes multiple advanced/additional features that make it more versatile than the real thing.
I'm not sure I would know or hear the difference, I am a guitarist ;-)

I either like the way a synth sounds or I don't - Bx_oberhausen soumds very good to me (and I though the Arturia SEM sounded pretty good to) so maybe I will like the OB-Xa or maybe I won't- but as I cant play with a demo, I will have to play with other things!
You had serious GAS for an Oberheim synth emulation. But you don't think you would hear the difference between synths with entirely different oscs, filters and envelopes?
The SEM (Arturia and bx) are the only Oberheim synth emulations I currently own. I would undoubtedly hear 'the difference' but not necessarily prefer the OB-Xa over the SEM as I have not the the OB-Xa emulation yet, I did hear (demo) the SEM and I liked it so I bought it....so the only information I have so far is that the OB-Xa emulation won't sound like the SEM emulation!

Also comparing software emulations (especially ones that are not released) isn't like comparing real old hardware, the emulations can differ greatly- the Arturia SEM has a second LFO, noise and a sub oscillator!

I do own Legend and have the Behringer Model D so I know they can make good emulation by way own comparison (I read that the Behringer Model D is quite close to the Moog D, I only have a Mother 32 so can't comment). Either way, I don't have an OB-Xa to compare the new emulation to when it comes out, so it will just be a case of do I like the sound more than what I have and/or does it cover differing bases to the SEM emulations I have.
Last edited by SLiC on Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10 PC+ Surface with an X32 Desk, BWS, Live and Studio One, Hardware Synths + Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses and Amps

chk071
KVRAF
24104 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:20 am

Kian Russell wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:03 am
I hope Sonic Syndicate knock this out at a fair price given we already have some good OB variations at a fair price point.
Sonic Syndicate?
Plugins and a DAW. On a operating system. Which runs on a computer.

AnX
KVRAF
7084 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:26 am

Synapse Audios previous name

AnX
KVRAF

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:27 am

Kian Russell wrote:
you're out :lol:

SLiC
KVRAF
5041 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:28 am

chk071 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:20 am
Kian Russell wrote:
Sonic Syndicate?
The Swedish death metal band ? :D
Win 10 PC+ Surface with an X32 Desk, BWS, Live and Studio One, Hardware Synths + Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses and Amps

AnX
KVRAF

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:29 am

Touch The Universe wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:25 pm
This thing sounds really good. Would be very surprised if kevin makes an edm soundset though, and not a retro one.
really?

I'd be amazed if he didn't release an "edm" bank within 3 months of release.

chk071
KVRAF

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:31 am

AnX wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:26 am
Synapse Audios previous name
Hmm... Orion... Sonic Syndicate... is Richard a fan of Star Trek by chance? :)

AnX
KVRAF

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:37 am

:shrug:

Cinebient
KVRAF
4778 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:55 am

Star Trek > Star Wars

chk071
KVRAF

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:03 am

Always. :tu:

vitocorleone123
KVRian
543 posts since 30 Jun, 2014 from Pacific NW

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:36 am

AnX wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:27 am
Kian Russell wrote:
you're out :lol:
It's early to discuss pricing since it's still in beta, but I believe a proper OB emulation could very easily be priced at $199 USD and up.

Hell, I ended up buying an OB-6 because the OB plugins to date have been a let down in comparison. I would have spent $500 on a proper plugin, because that still would've saved me $1800.

Return to “Instruments”