[Intro pricing extended] Available now: T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
Squids
Sonic Reality Head Chef
8560 posts since 11 Mar, 2002 from Florida

Post Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:07 pm

Here's the track I mentioned previously in this thread. The only reverb in my mix was Sunset Sound Studio Reverb. Although I was working with instrumental stems recorded at Abbey Road Studios so the instruments had that Studio 2 room ambience already in it. I did keyboard and vocal overdubs that I ran through SSSR (all the vocals you hear) and while I was originally going to use my Waves Abbey Road Chambers because that made sense since the rest was recorded at Abbey Road Studios (and I have no problem with it... that's why I bought it as well as all the other Waves Abbey Road stuff except for that control room thing which doesn't appeal to me). Anyway, I ended up liking the sound of the Sunset Sound Studio 1 Chamber better. More open and less metallic sounding is the best way I could describe it. I used that and some ISO booth and EMT Plate on the track. Have a listen! The song itself is like a modern/retro ode to The Beatles and The Beach Boys AND all the 70s bands influenced by them like ELO, Queen, Supertramp etc. It's like a mini rock opera with lots of dynamics and changes.

https://sonicelements.bandcamp.com/trac ... ars-go-out
http://www.sonicreality.com
http://www.esoundz.com
My album with guests Steve Hackett, Keith Emerson and more: http://www.davekerzner.com
Sonic Reality Progressive Rock Project: http://www.facebook.com/sonicelements

dmbaer
KVRian
1434 posts since 11 Nov, 2009 from Northern CA

Re: Available now: T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

Post Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:48 am

Squids wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:07 pm
Here's the track I mentioned previously in this thread. The only reverb in my mix was Sunset Sound Studio Reverb ...
Wow!!! What a delight! But it's awfully hard to focus in the reverb when there's so much in the way of musical goodies to unpack.

This made me smile more than I have in several weeks during this otherwise fairly dismal time. Thanks for this. :tu:

glokraw
KVRAF
7478 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Re: Available now: T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

Post Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:17 pm

Squids wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:07 pm
Here's the track I mentioned previously in this thread. The only reverb in my mix was Sunset Sound Studio Reverb.... It's like a mini rock opera with lots of dynamics and changes.

https://sonicelements.bandcamp.com/trac ... ars-go-out
Your above description seems accurate. I've probably
heard less music from that era, and the artists mentioned,
than most people my age, but enough where I could
believe it as a 'cover', or credit it as a fine original.

The reverb doesn't try to be the star, rather lets the star
have a very nice place to work the magic :hyper:

Squids
Sonic Reality Head Chef
8560 posts since 11 Mar, 2002 from Florida

Re: Available now: T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

Post Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:22 pm

dmbaer wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:48 am
Squids wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:07 pm
Here's the track I mentioned previously in this thread. The only reverb in my mix was Sunset Sound Studio Reverb ...
Wow!!! What a delight! But it's awfully hard to focus in the reverb when there's so much in the way of musical goodies to unpack.

This made me smile more than I have in several weeks during this otherwise fairly dismal time. Thanks for this. :tu:
Thanks guys. So, it look like IK is going to roll out some live streaming shows starting next week (with a few happening this week). The tech support guys are going to do interactive tips and tricks with all the various IK products. But, in addition to that, a few music people like myself will have a regularly scheduled show where we can talk about using IK and related products. My show is "Studio Time With Squids" (Appropriately titled I think! haha). The first pre-launch show is this Thursday at 4pm EST on IK's Instagram which I will take over (I've been taking over here and there posting gear shots and whatnot). It'll be kind of a casual test run this week with no special guests BUT I WILL be breaking down the vocals of the track I posted and I'll be using iRig Stream for the broadcast so you get a direct audio from my interface plus my voice through an iRig Lav (much better than just "phone audio"). I can also answer questions about Sunset Sound Studio Reverb or my music or various products I use from IK or vintage gear or whatever.

Plus, learning from my friend Warren Huart (who will be a guest on my show along with Tom Lord-Alge and others in the coming weeks), I've got the green light to do a GIVEAWAY during each show. I think Peter will be present for my broadcast and he'll pick a winner from some question I ask. I've seen how Warren does it and his questions are way too easy. But, someone's gotta win so we'll see. Maybe I'll make it easy. For this week I'll give away a Sunset Sound Studio Reverb since that'll be the theme. Now, this is going to come up a lot in my streams because you know how passionate I am about that product. I've collected a lot of material to demonstrate it in action. However, I'll dig into all sorts of things I personally love and use a lot such as SampleTank 4, T-RackS, Lurssen Mastering Console, the Hammond B3-X, Modo Drums and more. We might even end up doing mine twice a week but for now it's just the Thursday and every once in awhile I'll join Mark Menghi on Fridays at the same time (not this week but probably next week) to do a split screen chat about music and that'll probably include some funny stories of the crazy things we've seen over the years in the studio or on stage.

So, this Thursday 4pm on IK's Instagram @ikmultimedia I'll be showing how I used Sunset Sound Studio Reverb on my latest tune "Till The Stars Go Out". By then the lyric video should also be out which I'll post as well.
http://www.sonicreality.com
http://www.esoundz.com
My album with guests Steve Hackett, Keith Emerson and more: http://www.davekerzner.com
Sonic Reality Progressive Rock Project: http://www.facebook.com/sonicelements

Squids
Sonic Reality Head Chef
8560 posts since 11 Mar, 2002 from Florida

Re: Available now: T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

Post Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:34 pm

glokraw wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:17 pm
Squids wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:07 pm
Here's the track I mentioned previously in this thread. The only reverb in my mix was Sunset Sound Studio Reverb.... It's like a mini rock opera with lots of dynamics and changes.

https://sonicelements.bandcamp.com/trac ... ars-go-out
Your above description seems accurate. I've probably
heard less music from that era, and the artists mentioned,
than most people my age, but enough where I could
believe it as a 'cover', or credit it as a fine original.

The reverb doesn't try to be the star, rather lets the star
have a very nice place to work the magic :hyper:
Thanks. That's an interesting observation. It was a tough call on how much of it to use. I didn't go overboard so it had a certain directness to it for clarity and an in your face quality yet I wanted everything to sound glued together and still big. Also organic and retro. I'll go into more details on the live stream about that. I can also pull up the Abbey Road Chamber perhaps and you can hear the difference. I really was intending to use that. I mean, the instrumental track was recorded AT Abbey Road so that made the most sense... except I just liked the sound of SSSR and there IS a kind of Beach Boys quality to the vocals so it's like a hybrid production of something Beatlesque, ELOish, Beach Boysy and even Supertramp-like in some ways. That whole project is intentionally very retro so it'll be fun using a combo of vintage gear and plug-ins like this.
http://www.sonicreality.com
http://www.esoundz.com
My album with guests Steve Hackett, Keith Emerson and more: http://www.davekerzner.com
Sonic Reality Progressive Rock Project: http://www.facebook.com/sonicelements

User avatar
Peter - IK Multimedia
KVRAF
6964 posts since 20 Oct, 2009

Re: Available now: T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

Post Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:34 am

Nice, and I hope people tune in to the live streams as we will have some great tips and tricks (and I'm sure some yarns will be spun!). Speaking of spinning yarns, we have another video from a great producer/engineer from Sunset Sound. This time it is Joe Chiccarelli who has made Sunset Sound his home for the last 10 years and he does provide some great info about the studio in this one (and a longer version is coming, too):

https://youtu.be/NQQF0KmKTEE
EXPOSED (as sounding ******* fantastic!) Tipping over armchairs for over 10 years
T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb | AmpliTube Joe Satriani | AmpliTube Brian May

dmbaer
KVRian
1434 posts since 11 Nov, 2009 from Northern CA

Re: Available now: T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

Post Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:00 pm

Squids wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:22 pm
So, this Thursday 4pm on IK's Instagram @ikmultimedia I'll be showing how I used Sunset Sound Studio Reverb on my latest tune "Till The Stars Go Out". By then the lyric video should also be out which I'll post as well.
Sounds like this will be more than a little interesting. I hope, however, that rebroadcasts will be available via the IKM website. Personally, I avoid Instagram, Facebook and the rest.

Also, I do hope all the participants will be sheltering in place to deliver this. California isn't exactly on police-state lockdown, but most folks (largely other than stupid young ones, anyway) are taking this pretty seriously. From a distance, it looks like that's not the case in Florida, so please take care!

User avatar
Peter - IK Multimedia
KVRAF
6964 posts since 20 Oct, 2009

Re: Available now: T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

Post Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:18 pm

dmbaer wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:00 pm
Squids wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:22 pm
So, this Thursday 4pm on IK's Instagram @ikmultimedia I'll be showing how I used Sunset Sound Studio Reverb on my latest tune "Till The Stars Go Out". By then the lyric video should also be out which I'll post as well.
Sounds like this will be more than a little interesting. I hope, however, that rebroadcasts will be available via the IKM website. Personally, I avoid Instagram, Facebook and the rest.

Also, I do hope all the participants will be sheltering in place to deliver this. California isn't exactly on police-state lockdown, but most folks (largely other than stupid young ones, anyway) are taking this pretty seriously. From a distance, it looks like that's not the case in Florida, so please take care!
Where possible we will save these for rebroadcast, and we are certainly following the proper precautions so you'll be seeing IK folks and artists/producers/engineers in their home environments practicing proper social distancing and any other precautions necessary during this time.
EXPOSED (as sounding ******* fantastic!) Tipping over armchairs for over 10 years
T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb | AmpliTube Joe Satriani | AmpliTube Brian May

User avatar
Peter - IK Multimedia
KVRAF
6964 posts since 20 Oct, 2009

Re: Available now: T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

Post Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:50 am

Dave is going live on the IK Multimedia Instagram channel at 4PM EST, so tune in (you can win T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb
EXPOSED (as sounding ******* fantastic!) Tipping over armchairs for over 10 years
T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb | AmpliTube Joe Satriani | AmpliTube Brian May

User avatar
Peter - IK Multimedia
KVRAF
6964 posts since 20 Oct, 2009

Re: Available now: T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

Post Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:09 pm

We've extended the introductory pricing of T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb through this month (April 2020).
EXPOSED (as sounding ******* fantastic!) Tipping over armchairs for over 10 years
T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb | AmpliTube Joe Satriani | AmpliTube Brian May

User avatar
Peter - IK Multimedia
KVRAF
6964 posts since 20 Oct, 2009

Re: [Intro pricing extended] Available now: T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:26 am

Warren Huart did a video from Sunset Sound about T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb and he'll be live with Squids on Thursday at 4PM EST via IK's Instagram

https://youtu.be/5YyqzEeIYeU
EXPOSED (as sounding ******* fantastic!) Tipping over armchairs for over 10 years
T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb | AmpliTube Joe Satriani | AmpliTube Brian May

dmbaer
KVRian
1434 posts since 11 Nov, 2009 from Northern CA

Re: [Intro pricing extended] Available now: T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:27 pm

I'm curious about something. One oft-heard criticism of IKM T-Racks (and heard plenty in this thread) is that you get the whole lot installed, even if you wish to audition or purchase just a single module.

But SSSR is available from other sellers, like Sweetwater. Can purchasing from a third party get the customer around this issue? I suspect not, but I've only acquired T-Racks software directly from IKM, so I don't know either way.

User avatar
kidslow
KVRist
174 posts since 26 Aug, 2019

Re: [Intro pricing extended] Available now: T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:41 pm

dmbaer wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:27 pm
I'm curious about something. One oft-heard criticism of IKM T-Racks (and heard plenty in this thread) is that you get the whole lot installed, even if you wish to audition or purchase just a single module.

But SSSR is available from other sellers, like Sweetwater. Can purchasing from a third party get the customer around this issue? I suspect not, but I've only acquired T-Racks software directly from IKM, so I don't know either way.
I don't think that's possible. The way that IKM activation works is that you get a code that must be then entered into their Authorization Manager, and then you use that authorization in their installer to get the actual plugin installed onto your system. There is no shortcut to this process through a third party.

And while on the subject, let me complain a bit about the Authorization Manager. It does not allow you to copy and paste the code into the empty field. Why? :dog: And then they compound the lack of usability by allowing their license codes to use O and 0 ... but depending on the font those two characters look very similar. So you have to doublecheck everything and then try a O when you thought it was a 0 ... when copy and paste like every other vendor would be so much more user friendly. And they wonder why they have been getting complaints for over a half-decade about their crap installer.

adl
KVRian
1178 posts since 26 Jun, 2005

Re: [Intro pricing extended] Available now: T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:38 pm

Copy paste works if I remember correctly, just use keyboard shortcuts.
proud to produce warezless!
Like Techhouse? Listen to my tracks here:
https://www.facebook.com/mister.adl

User avatar
kidslow
KVRist
174 posts since 26 Aug, 2019

Re: [Intro pricing extended] Available now: T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

Post Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:26 am

adl wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:38 pm
Copy paste works if I remember correctly, just use keyboard shortcuts.
I had to go back and look. Keyboard shortcuts explicitly do not work. However somehow I missed the big PASTE button in the interface. :dog:

Return to “Effects”