New: Brainworx bx_console SSL 9000 J

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ploki wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:43 pm i just tested it.
"THD" seems to be the same (non-oversampled) soft clipper as in bx_2098. and probably everywhere else.
so. lazy.
I don't remember where I read this (I think at GS), but when I was doing research for the Neve strip, I was trying to figure out what exactly was being modeled in the THD, and I read from their sources that they felt the Neve console didn't do much for saturation so instead for the plugin they just borrowed the saturation model they designed for the SSL strip. So if you buy their Neve strip and use the THD, you are using their SSL sound there too.

jochicago wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:38 am They finally did it boys. It is now possible to use an SSL channel strip in your DAW.
And at a fraction of what it costs to own the real thing.
What a time to be alive!

jochicago wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:04 pm I don't remember where I read this (I think at GS), but when I was doing research for the Neve strip, I was trying to figure out what exactly was being modeled in the THD, and I read from their sources that they felt the Neve console didn't do much for saturation so instead for the plugin they just borrowed the saturation model they designed for the SSL strip. So if you buy their Neve strip and use the THD, you are using their SSL sound there too.
frown

Each channel on these things can lend varied sound results. You just pick the channels

acousticglue wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:49 pm Each channel on these things can lend varied sound results. You just pick the channels
it really doesn't. It randomizes phase/freq response a little and parameters, which in a big picture is nice, but it's nothing magical.
they didn't model "each of the 72 channels" or anything the like, since they didn't even model THD.
I still have bx_2098, i'll try to do phase cancellation between these to "meticulous models"

edit: i did and they're meticulously similar.
Also similar is Voxengo OVC-128 with hardness at 0. Except, unlike 2098 and 9000J, it doesn't alias.
Also the THD on 9000J comes on when you enable the EQ, else its disabled. Kinda like when you enable filters in the 2098. :D
What a half-assed plugin. shit.
jochicago wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:04 pm
I don't remember where I read this (I think at GS), but when I was doing research for the Neve strip, I was trying to figure out what exactly was being modeled in the THD, and I read from their sources that they felt the Neve console didn't do much for saturation so instead for the plugin they just borrowed the saturation model they designed for the SSL strip. So if you buy their Neve strip and use the THD, you are using their SSL sound there too.
gotta test the other SSL strip. My wild guess is THD is the same, just as in 2098.
wonder how many of their plugins have the same THD thing lol :hihi:
Last edited by Ploki on Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I wonder how much money testimonials get for saying shit like "this is the missing link ... "

Dip200 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:04 pm I wonder how much money testimonials get for saying shit like "this is the missing link ... "

i do wonder how much Michael Brauer's endorsement cost them.

All this besides, is it as good as this plugin?

Whose ''box'' was Mr Brauer in?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

"extended bottom end, a more clean and open top end, and additional distortion-free headroom"

Would like to see evidence of this in Plugin Doctor.

They did the same kinda thing with the Shadow Hills compressor, ie: This is it, this is THE master bus compressor you need. Then: No now you need the "Class A" version.

"Class A" gets bandied around in guitar amp circles a lot too - to the non-researched consumer, the immediate perception is that "Class A" is better than "Class AB" because surely AB means it's lower than A, right? Absolutely nothing wrong with push-pull (Class AB) tube circuits, infact they often sound and perform better.

Ploki wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:06 pm
Dip200 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:04 pm I wonder how much money testimonials get for saying shit like "this is the missing link ... "

i do wonder how much Michael Brauer's endorsement cost them.
Who’s Michael Brauer?

Ploki wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:54 pm My wild guess is THD is the same, just as in 2098.
wonder how many of their plugins have the same THD thing lol :hihi:
My wager is that it's the "XL" algorithm from bx saturator (and the limiters) :phones:
They will tell you "oh but it's interacting in a complex way with the EQ curves to give a unique sound" - i.e. a fancy way of saying stick an EQ in front of bx saturator :lol:

But you know what, I've always liked that XL algorithm and always thought it had an SSLish edge about it so... :shrug:

Ploki wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:43 pm i just tested it.
"THD" seems to be the same (non-oversampled) soft clipper as in bx_2098. and probably everywhere else.
so. lazy.
So you tested each and every 72 channels on both plug-ins and compared against each other?
We get it it; you don't care for PA. Move on
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Wait! Whut? Y'mean marketing copy actually might exagerrate reality? Hush your mouth!! :o :o

Anyone like how it sounds?

I wonder how much of this plugin is just tweaked code from the previous ones plus a new GUI and a $349 price tag...They could keep doing this forever, I guess.

I'll never trust Brainworx again after their bx_refinement plugin.
Last edited by RafaelMorgan on Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Effects”