The Wagtunes Corner

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic

What CD Would You Like To Hear Me Do?

Modern Pop (Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, etc.)
5%
Classic Rock (Stones, Beatles, Who, Zep)
5%
Prog Rock (Yes, Genesis, Kansas, etc.)
10%
Show Tunes Style (Sound Of Music, My Fair Lady, etc.)
3%
Country (Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, etc.)
2%
Disco (Bee Gees, Tramps, etc.)
14%
Metal (various sub genres)
9%
EDM (various sub genres)
14%
80s (various genres)
8%
Your Music Sucks. Please Stop Making It
30%

Total votes: 174

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Spring Goose wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:14 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:51 am
Scanloni wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:28 am Hey Wagtunes, as you’re well aware, I’m new here. I’m interested in hearing your best stuff. This thread is quite lengthy, any chance you’d be interested in posting your top 5 personal favorites for me to check out?
Picking 5 out of hundreds of songs is kind of tough.

Maybe start with these?

Hold On To Your Guns

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... -your-guns

Just Like Jimmy Neutron

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... my-neutron

Hold You Like There's No Tomorrow

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... o-tomorrow

Losing My Mind (All Over You)

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... l-over-you

Three Minutes To The End

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... lead-vocal
Ok so i tried the second song. I liked the eighties entrance, straight to the point. I thought its an interesting song, the eighties accompaniment but do you agree that the vocal is a bit seventies? I'm no expert about seventies, maybe i'm wrong. I take it you play your own guitar as well as singing? Some impressive synth/keyboard at about 1.00. Nice chord changes. Nice finish.

I like eighties. I listen to eighties. Your song isn't what i'd usually choose to listen to. It is very film soundtrack. I like film soundtracks but not this one! Not my cup of tea, but impressive song nonetheless.
Thanks for the listen and the feedback. Vocal is 70s? I don't know. What exactly do 70s vocals sound like. You say you're not an expert so what would even make you say that? As for the guitar, it's not a real guitar. It's a virtual guitar by Music Labs. Yes, I do my own singing most of the time. Sometimes I use computer generated vocals as in the last song in that list.

Much of the music mixed and mastered in the 1970's were done in a way that enabled it to be used on both vinyl and 8-track. With too much bass, 8-track wobbled terribly (and even without too much bass). So a lot of vocals were trimmed the exact same way you trim yours...shelving with a huge cutoff right where the mid frequency begins: 500hz.

THAT is part of what makes Gilbert O'Sullivan sound like himself. That and multiple takes of the lead stacked...both of which you do. That may be why that singer came to mind (not the accent or tonality). Of course, not every band/singer/producer did this, but listening back to most MOR like James Taylor, America, some BTO, etc., you get this mid-range sound in the vocals that comes off a bit nasally but still sounds good.

With the digital age, the medium used (while inferior IMHO) did not have the same shortcomings as tape and vinyl. No matter what we record in digital today for the most part, even if we use some analog outboard equipment, for anyone else to hear it on the internet, it becomes digital. That is why I recommended a cut at a lower frequency, maybe 300 or even 250hz, and even then only at 24-36db. That adds some fullness to the voice. Background vocals...keep the cutoff sharp and at a higher frequency. You can even boost the highs to add some air in the 8-10khz range. That is the treatment I gave your vocals on my remix, which is why they sounded so crisp.

You have the microphone to handle it for sure.

thejonsolo wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:10 pm Much of the music mixed and mastered in the 1970's were done in a way that enabled it to be used on both vinyl and 8-track. With too much bass, 8-track wobbled terribly (and even without too much bass). So a lot of vocals were trimmed the exact same way you trim yours...shelving with a huge cutoff right where the mid frequency begins: 500hz.

THAT is part of what makes Gilbert O'Sullivan sound like himself. That and multiple takes of the lead stacked...both of which you do. That may be why that singer came to mind (not the accent or tonality). Of course, not every band/singer/producer did this, but listening back to most MOR like James Taylor, America, some BTO, etc., you get this mid-range sound in the vocals that comes off a bit nasally but still sounds good.

With the digital age, the medium used (while inferior IMHO) did not have the same shortcomings as tape and vinyl. No matter what we record in digital today for the most part, even if we use some analog outboard equipment, for anyone else to hear it on the internet, it becomes digital. That is why I recommended a cut at a lower frequency, maybe 300 or even 250hz, and even then only at 24-36db. That adds some fullness to the voice. Background vocals...keep the cutoff sharp and at a higher frequency. You can even boost the highs to add some air in the 8-10khz range. That is the treatment I gave your vocals on my remix, which is why they sounded so crisp.

You have the microphone to handle it for sure.
Ah, okay. Well that explains why I like that sound. It's what I grew up with. Never knew that. Thanks for the history lesson.

So if I wanted my vocals to sound 80s, how would I have to EQ it? Or is it not that simple?

1st track from my upcoming CD "RPM II" which is also my entry for the April KVR and RPM contests.

This CD is going to have titles generated randomly, something I did many years ago for my "Random Generator" CD. This one played perfectly to the KVR song contest for this month.

Enjoy!

Xenophobic Zeppelin

Long ago when I was young
I was my mom's innocent son
But then I heard those evil chords
And I felt like I'd never felt before

Now I'm a xenophobic zeppelin
Play those power chords again and again
Hear me as I scream
Join me in this dream
Now I'm a xenophobic zeppelin

Innocent that's what I was
My mama said just because
But then I heard those evil chords
And I felt like I'd never felt before

Repeat Chorus

Look into the future with you
There ain't a thing I would undo

Can't remember what it was like
Back in the day when I was just a tyke
Cause when I heard those evil chords
I felt just like I'd never felt before

Repeat Chorus

Outro

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... c-zeppelin

Wags - listen to some of the isolated vocal tracks from 70's rock, etc. on YouTube (even up through the 90's, especially for alt, etc.) - you can really here what thejonsolo is talking about. I'm surprised at how relatively "thin" a lot of vocals sound. Also, in many cases, there's quite a bit more delay than is readily apparent in the mix - probably because it's also band-passed even further. But - not the big, clean reverb and delays that came later.

I think you can get a great feel for the 70s sound compared to "modern" sound if you listen to Steely Dan before Aja. The Aja album is a classic now, but it at the time it was released, a lot of people, while they admired the craft, felt there was something about it that sounded somewhat clinical (produced in '77, but it set a precedent for modern production, much like Dark Side). Listen to :phones: something like "My Old School", then immediately switch over to "Deacon Blues". 4 years apart, but what a difference. I loved "Aja", but older Dan just sounded like a band in my living room, and Aja sounds a bit like a wedding band with great gear. (Still a cool album, but that vibe was gone).

Lastly - I think we tend to under-pan when producing 70's music, thinking "more mono sounds older". But while modern productions tend to have a lot of wide stereo instruments, 70's has a lot of mono panned. There's not a lot of bleed from verbs, delays, etc. and few stereo effect. Pan a guitar hard right, one tom here, another there, stick the tambourine left, etc.

Listen to "Reelin' in the Years" (which is still like the best freakin' song ever. - and one of Jimmy Page's favorite guitar solos ;) )

wagtunes wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:29 pm What exactly do 70s vocals sound like. You say you're not an expert so what would even make you say that?
I've been listening to Fleetwood Mac, that's probably what it is. By the way the guitar sounds good.

I noticed the name in the song list and had to listen. Sounds good Wags, very cool guitar and strings. Great chorus, the lyrics are very amusing. :)
Well done!
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Allomerus wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:30 am I noticed the name in the song list and had to listen. Sounds good Wags, very cool guitar and strings. Great chorus, the lyrics are very amusing. :)
Well done!
Thanks for the listen and the feedback. I assume you mean the last track posted.

wagtunes wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:56 am
Allomerus wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:30 am I noticed the name in the song list and had to listen. Sounds good Wags, very cool guitar and strings. Great chorus, the lyrics are very amusing. :)
Well done!
Thanks for the listen and the feedback. I assume you mean the last track posted.
Yes I do. :)
Bandcamp

2nd track from my upcoming CD "RPM II"

Just Like Every Monday (Press Release)

It's the same old story
It's getting pretty old
It may be hot outside
But in here it's damn cold
You need to get a new line
To use on me each day
Cause I've run out of patience
To listen to you say

Just like every Monday
You're barking up that tree
Can't escape your nagging
The way you pester me
Why don't you take out a press release
A press release
A press release or three
Just like every Monday
For the whole damn world to read

It's been fourteen days now
Two weeks of your abuse
I try to make you stop
But girl it's just no use
You need to get a new line
To use on me each day
Cause I've run out of patience
To listen to you say

Repeat Chorus

The New York Times
The New York Post
The daily grind
Give up your ghost

Instrumental Break

Repeat Chorus

Outro

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... ss-release

Just like Every Monday. Great singalong vibe! I like the jangly guitars. The chorus has got earworm written all over it, very catchy. Nice ending.
Well done! :)
Bandcamp

Allomerus wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:54 am Just like Every Monday. Great singalong vibe! I like the jangly guitars. The chorus has got earworm written all over it, very catchy. Nice ending.
Well done! :)
Thanks, but I really hate my vocals on this one. Wish I could sing worth shit but that ain't happening.

Have you tried doubling the vocals. You don't have to mix them both at the same volume. I do that sometimes to add power and hide slightly off notes.
Bandcamp

Allomerus wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:03 am Have you tried doubling the vocals. You don't have to mix them both at the same volume. I do that sometimes to add power and hide slightly off notes.
I've got so much on this vocal it's a joke. But nothing can save how badly I sung this. Allergies now are at an all time worst. I may go back to Vocaloid. LOL

Return to “Music Cafe”