Would you help me find a backup solution?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is the "eat more vegetables" of my to do list, always bugging me from the back of my mind. I do my "research," but never actually take action. I think I'm just overthinking this.
So, this is my configuration:
  • Win 10 booting from a 500 GB SDD
  • Internal 2 TB hard drive, backed up mostly on the cloud via Dropbox
  • External 4 TB hard drive
What I would like:
  • a set an forget backup solution that uses my external HDD as storage, I'm thinking there must be something out there for $50 or less, but would consider something more expensive. It would create and maintain the following:
  • an image from the 500 GB SDD that I can hopefully use to resuscitate my PC in the event of the unthinkable, updated once every couple of days (even once a week). Maybe keep one, and only one old version (i.e., not clutter my storage with old images)
  • a mirror of the internal 2 TB drive, synchronized daily with just the updated files, I don't want compression or checking for duplicate files
I don't need a Pentagon-grade solution, just something simple that accounts for what could happen to 98% of average users (i.e., I don't care for apocalyptic scenarios).
I've used Win 10's backup tool, but it left me with the nagging feeling that it was going to eat up all my external hard drive. In case it's not clear, this is a mental block, I'm pretty savvy with computers, but this backup stresses me more than it should.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks!
Last edited by monomox on Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Have a look at Acronis True Image
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:17 pm Have a look at Acronis True Image
fits the bill
thanks mate

2BrightSparlks SyncBack might work for you. They have free, mid($40) and high level($55).
https://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/compare.html
We use it at my job to back up individual computers' data to our NAS and company network storage. I don't think it does drive imaging.

SyncBack (Free version) is all you need for backing up your internal drive. Also check GoodSync (paid) and FreeFileSync (free with paid features).

For my system drive I use AOMEI Backupper Pro (check internet, you could get it for free officially). But there are many similar options.

by the way, this thread is old, but just in case it's helpful, I'm using Macrium free to backup my booting drive, and FreeFileSync to mirror my secondary drive, and Dropbox Business to backup my most important folders (my music, etc.).
thanks for yall's suggestions!

Macrium paid is worth it to me for the fast, incremental backups.

I abandoned Acronis years ago after repeated fails and data loss. So far, Macrium has never failed me. Acronis is a bit easier to use, however, in terms of the interface.

I highly recommend making shared storage networked (ideally an actual entry level NAS) and then you can set it and forget it.

I backup images of my computer to 2 different NAS, and the key user files to the Cloud every hour with Arq Backup. It's like insurance - you don't have to get it (unless law requires it), but you're sure gonna hate life if you don't have it and need it. And a good backup solution is a less money than insurance.

Just an heads up.

AOMEI Backupper free, no longer allows explore of a system image.
I can confirm, AOMEI Backupper 5.9.0 allows explore to copy files from a backup.

Filepuma has previous versions
https://www.filepuma.com/download/aomei ... e_describe

Time to get 2 Pro licenses.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Another heads up. I had an older version of Acronis with a perpetual licence installed on a Win 10 PC with backups performed incrementally daily. I had asked Acronis how I upgrade to a newer version without having to pay a subscription but got no reply. Then, after attempting creating a complex virtual MIDI setup I bricked the system and couldn’t even get Windows to boot. Even with extensive support from Acronis they were unable to recover the system. I read good reports about R Drive image which is purchase not subscription. In any event I would suggest it is important to keep your backup software current.

This appears to be an old post, but I'll chime in for others who are looking for backup solutions.

+1 for Macrium Reflect. Used it for several years now and saved my butt a few times. Plenty of customization options too, which is nice.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”