So, this is my configuration:
- Win 10 booting from a 500 GB SDD
- Internal 2 TB hard drive, backed up mostly on the cloud via Dropbox
- External 4 TB hard drive
- a set an forget backup solution that uses my external HDD as storage, I'm thinking there must be something out there for $50 or less, but would consider something more expensive. It would create and maintain the following:
- an image from the 500 GB SDD that I can hopefully use to resuscitate my PC in the event of the unthinkable, updated once every couple of days (even once a week). Maybe keep one, and only one old version (i.e., not clutter my storage with old images)
- a mirror of the internal 2 TB drive, synchronized daily with just the updated files, I don't want compression or checking for duplicate files
I've used Win 10's backup tool, but it left me with the nagging feeling that it was going to eat up all my external hard drive. In case it's not clear, this is a mental block, I'm pretty savvy with computers, but this backup stresses me more than it should.
Do you have any suggestions?