One Synth Challenge #135: TRICENT mk III by Full Bucket Music (jasinski wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Tricent mk III

Spencer Maddox wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 5:15 pm *Need to Make Hats and Snares.
That's where you're wrong :wink:
Percussion is great, but pipe organs are greater (and sweller)
mostly here for the One Synth Challenge
you can hear some of my newest music at: https://wrenharmonic.bandcamp.com/ or https://www.youtube.com/@wrenharmonic

Well I'm very pleasantly surprised by this synth, I got very inspiring sounds out of it and maybe I even finish a track with it.

I was thinking of abstracting the first part of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring. I would re-write it to be synth friendly, less expressive,less complex, and more grid like, but it would still be recognizable. Is that allowed?

Aro wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 5:46 pm I was thinking of abstracting the first part of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring. I would re-write it to be synth friendly, less expressive,less complex, and more grid like, but it would still be recognizable. Is that allowed?
I do not know if that would be allowed, but it would be pretty cool. I think the part with the eighth note accents near the beginning would have a neat effect on this synth.

SirKen wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 5:21 pm I can get a decent, if somewhat thin, snare out of it. Closed hihat is not an issue either. However, struggling with getting a solid kick for some reason. Any suggestions?
Sure! Just use the filter's self-oscillation. Set the resonance to 11, cutoff somewhere 9 o'clock and tweak the VCF envelope. You'll get some decent kick, better than one from Cheeze Machine that's for sure :tu:

Jopmanajop wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:03 pm
SirKen wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 5:21 pm I can get a decent, if somewhat thin, snare out of it. Closed hihat is not an issue either. However, struggling with getting a solid kick for some reason. Any suggestions?
Sure! Just use the filter's self-oscillation. Set the resonance to 11, cutoff somewhere 9 o'clock and tweak the VCF envelope. You'll get some decent kick, better than one from Cheeze Machine that's for sure :tu:
Yeah, that's what I had except I did not notice that I had the flanger on, which made things sound awkward. I think I am getting used to the weird spread of the routing buttons throughout the interface now.

Time to get back to improving the snare/hi-hat sounds to make them sound decent enough.

SirKen wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:06 pm Time to get back to improving the snare/hi-hat sounds to make them sound decent enough.
Feel free to share your snare/hi-hat techniques :wink:

Actually, let me think about this a little longer.
Last edited by Identikit on Mon May 04, 2020 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Actually let me think about this a little longer.

Jopmanajop wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:16 pm
SirKen wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:06 pm Time to get back to improving the snare/hi-hat sounds to make them sound decent enough.
For the click sound of the snare I cranked up the resonance and moved the cutoff to the designated "tune" value I want (like in the Roland XoX drum machines). Keyboard tracking is turned off, so that I can get the click in the pitch I want regardless of the key I play.

The problem is with the noise substitute - extreme PWM modulation. Using this with a low VCA decay value gives a good impression of the rattle sound even if a bit metallic. However, it fails miserably when sequenced, as the phase of the PWM modulation does not sync up with the Tempo of the track, so the sound changes from hit to hit. I tried to split that portion into two tracks, one for the mid range and one for the high range, and it still doesn't feel quite right even with all the processing.

Aro wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 5:46 pm I was thinking of abstracting the first part of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring. I would re-write it to be synth friendly, less expressive,less complex, and more grid like, but it would still be recognizable. Is that allowed?
Possible answer:
Rules

**Please Follow the rules or your track may not be qualified**

General:

- Challenge to run from the 1st to the end of the last day, every month (Timezone: UTC-8 time )

- Unless specifically announced before the competition, you must use only one virtual synthesizer for all sounds including percussion. Layering several instances of the synth is allowed.

- Your entry must be composed specifically for this contest. Cover tracks are not permitted.

- Collaborations are allowed. The collaborators do not need to be KVR members.

- Max 1 submission per entrant (person or team)

- No track length limit

- Your entry may be edited / changed / updated as frequently as needed up to the deadline

- Commercial synth patches/soundbanks are not permitted

OSC might request project files at any time. Failure to produce it upon request will lead to disqualification.
(intellectual property respected with file used for examination only and destroyed immediately afterwards)
https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/rules

L-EctroBit wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:44 pm
Possible answer:

- Your entry must be composed specifically for this contest. Cover tracks are not permitted.

https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/rules
Np. I'll probably do it anyways, as a learning experience, at my own pace. I just thought a month deadline would get my ass in gear. I should probably be learning about drums anyways.
Last edited by Aro on Tue May 05, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maybe use bitcrush (about 15 bits is probably enough) then round that with OTT .

simanus wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:54 pm
Maybe use bitcrush (about 15 bits is probably enough) then round that with OTT .
I don't think bitcrushing or any kind of distortion/harmonics editing is allowed.

SirKen wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:43 pm
simanus wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:54 pm Maybe use bitcrush (about 15 bits is probably enough) then round that with OTT .
I don't think bitcrushing or any kind of distortion/harmonics editing is allowed.
It's not completely disallowed, but if it's transforming a not-very-snarelike sound into a snare, that probably goes too far. "Please use distortion / tape saturation / bit crushing sparingly. Use your best judgement. Try to keep the original sound recognizable."
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

Return to “Instruments”