One Synth Challenge #135: TRICENT mk III by Full Bucket Music (jasinski wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Tricent mk III

for noise I found a way, flanger speed to max, feedback around 2 o'clock on synth, one osc, pw, pwm speed to max, pw to almost max

FrogsInPants wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:08 am
SirKen wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:43 pm
simanus wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:54 pm Maybe use bitcrush (about 15 bits is probably enough) then round that with OTT .
I don't think bitcrushing or any kind of distortion/harmonics editing is allowed.
It's not completely disallowed, but if it's transforming a not-very-snarelike sound into a snare, that probably goes too far. "Please use distortion / tape saturation / bit crushing sparingly. Use your best judgement. Try to keep the original sound recognizable."
Seems like compressing hard with ReaFir is against the rules?
I remember with Cheeze Machine some guys made incredible drums, they said something about gating and compressing, but how far isn't too far?
SirKen wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:14 pm it still doesn't feel quite right even with all the processing.
Yep, that's true, i had some luck with ReaFir, but it's too much of heavy processing i'm afraid. Maybe we should try that flanger trick MorphedDreams mentioned

Did anybody achieve to assign the mod wheel to a parameter?
The manual says: "Just click the MIDI button at the Control section (button turns yellow) and wiggle both the MIDI controller and the parameter you want to assign".

But when I do this, the mod wheel is still assigned to the vibrato.

The same with the "unlearn" function:"If you want to unlearn the assignment, right-click the MIDI Learn button (the label now reads “UNLEARN”). Now wiggle the MIDI controller or the parameter that you want to unlearn.".

When I move my mod wheel, the "Unlearn-Button" turns to MIDI, but there is no effect ... :shrug:

Cubase Elements 9.5 and Windows 7 64-bit

You can't get good snare or at least not the Linn type of snare without some processing .
I compensate for the lack of noise oscillator with a bitchrusher on the tail layer which is PWM with some flanging, just to make it
bit softer, because PWM alone with that inbuilt flanger is to snappy and harsh . Personally, i don't think that some bitcrushing on a snare tail is to much of processing.

VL-1 snares!

rockingricky wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:23 pm Did anybody achieve to assign the mod wheel to a parameter?
Hi Ricky,

you cannot learn the Mod Wheel CC 01 (and the Sustain CC 64). That's by design.

Cheers, Björn

Full Bucket wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:22 am you cannot learn the Mod Wheel CC 01 (and the Sustain CC 64). That's by design.
Thanks for the information. The mod wheel seems to me like it would be a particularly common control for people to want to reassign, since it is so widely available on controllers. I suppose, since the mod wheel has a predefined behavior which is itself modified by synth parameters, reassigning it might cause some complications. I would suggest at least making a note of it in the manual section on MIDI Learn so people aren't confused about the feature not working.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

MorphedDreams wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:19 pm for noise I found a way, flanger speed to max, feedback around 2 o'clock on synth, one osc, pw, pwm speed to max, pw to almost max
Cool. I have to try that :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Full Bucket wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:22 am
Hi Ricky,

you cannot learn the Mod Wheel CC 01 (and the Sustain CC 64). That's by design.

Cheers, Björn
:o Ach so! Okay, thanks for your quick reply!

Just wanted to say thanks to Full Bucket - Bjorn, for another great synth emulation. I wish Korg had added a few more features.... but as always, it's a pleasure to use a Full Bucket synth!

a question about rules, is never-ending delay allowed? I would control it with volume envelope.

Never ending delay seems fine to me; just don't modulate it to create pitch movement, and avoid delays that are short enough to get into the chorus/flanger/comb filter territory.
My general take is that if you can do it with billions of instances dry, or one instance and one effect, it's probably within the rules and more sensible to do it with the effect.
mostly here for the One Synth Challenge
you can hear some of my newest music at: https://wrenharmonic.bandcamp.com/ or https://www.youtube.com/@wrenharmonic

Leonard Bowman wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:38 pm Never ending delay seems fine to me; just don't modulate it to create pitch movement, and avoid delays that are short enough to get into the chorus/flanger/comb filter territory.
My general take is that if you can do it with billions of instances dry, or one instance and one effect, it's probably within the rules and more sensible to do it with the effect.
Awesome thx, with that I solved random phase on kick, just one note and delay it throughout entire song, just mute it where I don't need it :D hope that's ok :)

MorphedDreams wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:46 pm Awesome thx, with that I solved random phase on kick, just one note and delay it throughout entire song, just mute it where I don't need it :D hope that's ok :)
Seems questionable to me. I note that the section on sampling says it's okay for saving CPU, but not as a way to get a consistent sound. This seems like similar territory.

Not that I would be bothered if someone else did this. I just wouldn't do it myself because it seems like part of the spirit of the challenge to work with any inconsistencies the synth throws at you.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

FrogsInPants wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:43 pm
MorphedDreams wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:46 pm Awesome thx, with that I solved random phase on kick, just one note and delay it throughout entire song, just mute it where I don't need it :D hope that's ok :)
Seems questionable to me. I note that the section on sampling says it's okay for saving CPU, but not as a way to get a consistent sound. This seems like similar territory.

Not that I would be bothered if someone else did this. I just wouldn't do it myself because it seems like part of the spirit of the challenge to work with any inconsistencies the synth throws at you.
I totally agree. It is sampling for consistency by another name and I think the rules are pretty clear that's not 'allowed' ... imho of course :)

Return to “Instruments”