Melodya topic (was Melodya v1.0 announced...)

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Melodya

Did more testing (v 1.0.5 in Studio One 4 ("S1"), Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra:)

BUG: The midi note off problem is gone when pressing the Play arrow button in the plugin gui (as I reported in my last post), BUT it still REMAINS when stopping in the DAW (i.e., when pressing play in the daw, which starts the melody playing, and then pressing stop in the daw > notes hang).

QUESTION: Is there any way to turn off having the plugin play when the DAW play button is pressed, i.e., to not have the plugin transport controlled by the DAW transport?

If so, exactly how (read the manual and checked all settings)?

If not, can you PLEASE add that (its key to be able to enable and disable having the DAW control the plugin transport)?

CRASH ON REMOVE UPDATE: I first tried setting midi input of the instrument that was getting midi from the plugin to something other then Melodya before removing Melodya from the S1 project, and this time it didn't crash when I removed Melodya. (My thinking was that maybe that led to the crash/freeze on removing the plugin, i.e., Melodya "connected" in that way being selected as the instrument's midi input when trying to remove Meloday)

So I got bold and tried the way I often do, which was how it was when it crashed/froze S1 when I removed Melodya (as I reported in my prior post above) –– just remove Melodya without first setting the midi input on the instrument that was getting midi from it to something other than Melodya, and it did not crash or freeze S1 this time -- even tried a couple of more times.

I'll report if the problem resurfaces.

I was curious if this software has something similar to creating set structures like this:
Create a musical structure precisely - Attach a structure type to each music block with a simple drag and drop, containing sentences such as
  • Standard, Answer, Question, Answer Prime, Answer based on question
It's probably one of the most used features I've used in other software to get a structured sound to start with. Thank you!

dbender wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:58 pm That's because: In midi land, notes off problems generally don't affect plucked short note type instruments like piano, and do affect sustained type sounds like violin and pads.
No, I mean I used long sustaining notes and they were turned off.
I fixed the hanging notes issue today by sending out individual Note Off's :x
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Good news is that Acoustica is already looking at the playback offset problem when using Melodya in Mixcraft.
They have been very responsive so far. :tu: So I hope they'll have a fix soon.

Hello Megawattt,

looping works very well in Reaper and StudioOne, so it should work in other DAWs which properly send the playback position to the plug-ins. Are you using Orion? I cannot test with that :(

What I can do is sending you a logging version, so that I can see what information the plug-in gets during playback.

Thanks,
Attila
Megawattt wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:43 am Good morning Attila.

I am still experimenting with Melodya and i have noticed that i am unable to get it to run in loop mode even if it is using the host tempo and signature, when i press "play" on my DAW the melody will play once then stop, the DAW "play" button will stay on playing in a loop but Melodya will not play in a loop with the DAW, i have tried this with the Melodya loop button enabled and disabled, am i doing something wrong ? :? :)

Hi AfriendofZ,

thank you for requesting this feature. Maybe some templates could be added with the structure defined. But you can call motive 'A' a Question and motive 'B' an Answer, and set up any structure with a few clicks. I added the templates to my to-do list.

Thanks!
Attila
AfriendofZ wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:15 am
  • Standard, Answer, Question, Answer Prime, Answer based on question
It's probably one of the most used features I've used in other software to get a structured sound to start with. Thank you!

musicdevelopments wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:14 pm Hello Megawattt,

looping works very well in Reaper and StudioOne, so it should work in other DAWs which properly send the playback position to the plug-ins. Are you using Orion? I cannot test with that :(

What I can do is sending you a logging version, so that I can see what information the plug-in gets during playback.

Thanks,
Attila
Megawattt wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:43 am Good morning Attila.

I am still experimenting with Melodya and i have noticed that i am unable to get it to run in loop mode even if it is using the host tempo and signature, when i press "play" on my DAW the melody will play once then stop, the DAW "play" button will stay on playing in a loop but Melodya will not play in a loop with the DAW, i have tried this with the Melodya loop button enabled and disabled, am i doing something wrong ? :? :)
Hi Attila.

Yes, i am using Orion (My workflow is better with this DAW) please send to me a logging version :)
Strictly drum and bass

I'm late to the party ... congratulations, Attila!

Thanks!
Last edited by como baila on Tue May 12, 2020 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

Attila ...

I know this is early in the game and you are fantastic in responding to users ... so please take your time. But one more 'feature request' suggestion. I started reading thru this thread and immediately saw the request for a chord track. I do understand this desire.

But I can also see how this could in some ways bog things down ... now I'd have to add at least full verse, chorus and bridge and we are coming back towards RapidComposer.

I had this idea. What about a simple 'chord change' setting? The idea would be that I declare a key, take C for an example. And right after the chord setting for C there is a setting for I, ii, iii, IV, V, etc.

In other words, I stay with my key and basic motif and rhythm settings, but now have the motiv transposed to work with that chord of the key. It seems to me that that would make an excellent work flow where I could massage each chord change in the song without being locked into having to complete the whole chord structure in a track.

I would imagine this would be a simpler implementation than a chord track and would keep the Melodya GUI compact, which I would prefer while working in my DAW.

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

I bought Rapidcomposer, so should I buy this Vst?
NK Recording Studio
Email: lachinhan@gmail.com or admin@thuamninhkieu.com

Hello Megawattt,

Thanks,
Attila
Hi there Attila.

I need some enlightenment, i am still having the looping problem in Reaper, i connect Melodya to an instrument, when i press play on the Reaper transport control the melody in Melodya plays once and no more while Reaper's play button is still active playing in loop mode, please is there some way that you can show me how you have got Reaper to get Melodya to play in loop mode ?
Strictly drum and bass

Megawattt wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:42 pm
Hello Megawattt,

Thanks,
Attila
Hi there Attila.

I need some enlightenment, i am still having the looping problem in Reaper, i connect Melodya to an instrument, when i press play on the Reaper transport control the melody in Melodya plays once and no more while Reaper's play button is still active playing in loop mode, please is there some way that you can show me how you have got Reaper to get Melodya to play in loop mode ?
Hi Megawatt ...

I am going to interject, as I would like to be sure I also understand the issue. There is a difference between looping when Melodya is instantiated and the main DAW transport is not running and when the main DAW is running with a looped section. For me in Cubase this works, but only where the time lines overlap. The bars and beats in Melodya are tied to the bars and beats in Cubase (and presumably any DAW host.)

If I create an 8 bar section in Melodya referencing Melodya's bars 1 to 8 and I loop the first 8 bars in Cubase and hit play those bars in Melodyna will loop with Cubase. But if instead I loop bars 5 thru 13 in Cubase, Melodyna will only play its bars 5-8 and then be silent during bars 9-13 until Cubase loops around back to bar 5. And if I loop bars 9 to 17 in Cubse, Melodyna won't play at all.

To say it in a concise way, I am pretty sure looping or any playback in the DAW is locked to the DAW timeline. There must be a bar of equal number in Melodyna for it to play at that measure in the DAW host.

So, are we talking about the same thing or were you hoping Melodyna could keep looping its bars even when the DAW was simply playing without looping?

Attila ... A couple minor but important issues.

Cubase saves the notes in Melodyna when you save and reopen the project, but it does not save the key or other info, e.g., mode. When I save an instanceof Melodyna as D Dorian, I reopen the project and it has reverted to C Major.

Editing a note, particularly when raising it to a different pitch repeatedly creates a stuck MIDI. Anyway, sooner or later something is always triggering a stuck MIDI notes. How about an 'all notes off' panic button?

lachinhan wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:00 pm I bought Rapidcomposer, so should I buy this Vst?
I also own RapidComposer, but I bought this right away.

Why? Well they really have different purposes. RapidComposer is a universe where you would create an entire composition. While you can use it as a VSTi within your DAW, it is a bit awkward to do so. It definitely works best stand alone and has great rewards for deep divers into its powerful complexities.

Melodyna is a purposeful tool for use within a DAW. It is compact and once you understand how it works is flexible and simple as it mimics the DAW workflow you already know. You can drag the MIDI for easy editing within your DAW where you can create chords and bass lines from the melody; voice multiple VSTi softsynths; add 'ear candy' parts to recordings that are being mixed; etc.

The use of a MIDI tool within my DAW is actually the workflow I prefer and which I do most often.

That's my view anyway. If it makes sense to you and like working this way, you should buy it.

Attila ...

If I understand, the 'heart' icon will save all settings in the plugin including any adjustment to the section or generation option parameters.

I imagine this will be coming eventually, but it would be very, very powerful to be able to save presets globally for the entire generation option parameter setting and also additionally within each main generation option parameter set, i.e., Global, Rhythm, Motive and Variations.

As I am sure you have learned well by now, all we want is more, more, more ...

Return to “MusicDevelopments”