New SocaLabs Open Source Subtractive synth looking for alpha testers

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi All,

I'm working on an open-source Subtractive synth for Windows, Mac and Linux. VST / AU format. You can find it here: https://socalabs.com/synths/virtualanalog/ https://github.com/FigBug/VirtualAnalog

It's compiled for Windows (64/32 bit, Vista or newer) or macOS (64 bit, 10.9 or newer) or Linux (Ubuntu 18.04).

There are no patches yet, I'm waiting for parameters to stabilize before I start building patches. If anybody wants to build some patches once things are more feature complete, please send them to me at socalabs@gmail.com.

Please report bugs and feature requests here or on the GitHub page.

It's still early days, so there are probably lots of bugs.

The UI should be pretty obvious other than modulation. The dice buttons control assigning modulation. The 1 die is for mono modulation, the 6 is for poly monduation. Click the correct die and then drag the control you want to modulate. Click the die on the control to disconnect. Hold shift to move the knob while assigning modulation. Click the die top left or the die you originally clicked on to disable modulation assign.

The UI also has collapsible sections so everything fits on the screen. Click the section names to hide and show.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments. The name is really generic and lame, please suggest a better name.

In Poly-mode its not picking up new notes sometimes,thinks it the release time causing it

ere2learn wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 2:22 pm In Poly-mode its not picking up new notes sometimes,thinks it the release time causing it
Do you have glide on or off?

Also how to remove a modulation source from mouse control,once its picked I can not move any other controls without apply modulation

FigBug wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 2:23 pm
ere2learn wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 2:22 pm In Poly-mode its not picking up new notes sometimes,thinks it the release time causing it
Do you have glide on or off?
off

ere2learn wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 2:26 pm Also how to remove a modulation source from mouse control,once its picked I can not move any other controls without apply modulation
Click the big die in the upper left or click the die you used to turn mod assign on to turn it back off.
If you accidentally assigned mod to control you didn't want to, click the little die on the control to remove it.

Its using this attack node on the envelope in poly that seems to cut off notes when its set 0,in mono notes hit fine

ere2learn wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 7:43 pm Its using this attack node on the envelope in poly that seems to cut off notes when its set 0,in mono notes hit fine

Thank you for narrowing that down. I can confirm the ADSR has a bug when attack is 0. I've just fixed it and it'll appear on the website for download in < 15 minutes.

I've released a new version with a bunch of fixes / improvements. Biggest change is I changed how modulation is saved / restored. Unfortunately this will break any patches with modulation. I had to do it now, or I wouldn't be able to add parameters in future without breaking modulation. The new file format is a lot better.

Next, make a nice UI and start working on patches.

Code: Select all

0.0.3:
- Fixed amp velocity track
- Fixed filter velocity track
- Added patch browser
- Added patch name and tags
- Fixed square/pulse oscillator
- Added gate effect
- Added cpu / voice meter
- Refactored mod matrix load / save (Sorry, I broke your patches)
- Added step lfo
- Added mod matrix overview
- Fixed levels of unison oscillators
- Fixed delay saving enable state
- Fixed filter with 0 attack not starting at max cutoff

Great synth, thank you. Will see if i find some bugs :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Cool

I like this a lot. I'm using it in Logic 10.5/Mac Catalina. It's very intuitive to use, the envelope is very generous, and it sounds great. I like the collapsible arrangement with effects and modulators. I find it easy to create a sound and save it. The only concern I have is that the volume started out too loud with a long, reverberant note, and I had to lower the volume to avoid clipping. It would also be nice if the synth were re-sizable.

Brother Greg wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:50 pm The only concern I have is that the volume started out too loud with a long, reverberant note, and I had to lower the volume to avoid clipping. It would also be nice if the synth were re-sizable.
Were you using unison or multiple oscillators on this note? It is design so one oscillator at full velocity can go to full scale. If you are using multiple oscillators, you will need to turn it down, or enable the limiter.

Resizable UI I can do. Hopefully UI tweaks coming soon.

FigBug wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:00 pm
Brother Greg wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:50 pm The only concern I have is that the volume started out too loud with a long, reverberant note, and I had to lower the volume to avoid clipping. It would also be nice if the synth were re-sizable.
Were you using unison or multiple oscillators on this note? It is design so one oscillator at full velocity can go to full scale. If you are using multiple oscillators, you will need to turn it down, or enable the limiter.

Resizable UI I can do. Hopefully UI tweaks coming soon.

I was using two oscillators and LP 12 with a less-than-immediate attack. Turning the volume down is not a big deal, and it's nice to have the limiter.

Return to “Instruments”