Architect beta for macOS, Windows, and Linux. 0.10.5 now available

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks, all, it all sounds great (esp. running other AU MIDI FX inside Architect!), ready to rumble:) So, I gather I can't offer to buy fairyclose's license…even in the interests of global happiness?

David wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:46 pm Thanks, all, it all sounds great (esp. running other AU MIDI FX inside Architect!), ready to rumble:) So, I gather I can't offer to buy fairyclose's license…even in the interests of global happiness?
Yes, you can if you want. (Although I'd prefer that you PM him directly, rather than turning the thread into an auction house!)
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

…turning the thread into an auction house!
Wouldn't dream of it!

Hi Colin-

Working on decoding a LSB/MSB SYSEX stream like so:

and I get (sensibly) an error in the console when [pop element] encounters an empty array. The error doesn't seem to affect further processing of my streams, but I wonder what the behavior should be here? Terminate quietly like Lisp?

Thanks, Charles
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

levendis wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:38 am
David wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:41 am But, wait. ARE there any modulators yet? I couldn't find them.

So, I assume there WILL be built-in modulators, or is host automation and MIDI CCs from other devices going to suffice? In either case, my question becomes: will it be as easy to create a modulation input in place of the items in the blue box at the top of your example to directly mod the playhead?
i too was hoping there'd be modulation generators, like LFOs.
Here's 2 methods for driving [Mono Step Seq]. Unzip it to your 'Presets' folder, for easy loading:
2 ways to drive mono sequencer.zip
  1. Uses [Aux Step Seq] to make a pattern that defines a number between 0 & 15. This gets used by [Mono Step Seq] to position transport.
    • The [Mono Step Seq] is bare. Enter some notes and define a destination for [MIDI Output] to play an instrument.
    • The [Aux Step Seq] is filled with value 0, so loops the subsequent [Mono Step Seq]. Edit the values to determine which steps of [Mono Step Seq] is played.
  2. Uses a counter with user defined modulo to play [Mono Step Seq] in a loop up to n steps.
    • The counter is something i wouldn't have been able to design myself. It is translation from the Architect Manual.
    • The [Mono Step Seq] is bare. Enter some notes and define a destination for [MIDI Output] to play an instrument.
    • The [Rotary] on the Panel defines loop length.
They use the [Mono Step Seq]'s 'Play Step' input to position transport.
play step.PNG
There are other modulation inputs for sequencers, such as 'Step Duration', 'Direction', 'Speed', etc., which can be used to deform transport.

The 'Blocks' paradigm in Reaktor are abstractions which can have equivalents in Architect. However, they has to be built from more rudimentary elements. Akin to working in Reaktor's Primary or Core environment. Architect's Sequencer modules provide significant shortcut to such ends.
Cool, many thanks!

Here's what I've been up to in the meantime (IOW, I'm SOLD!):

cturner wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:09 pm The error doesn't seem to affect further processing of my streams, but I wonder what the behavior should be here? Terminate quietly like Lisp?
Thank you. Let me think on this and get back to you. Even though the error doesn't (in this case) affect further processing, in other situations it may, as errors can stop an event propagating further on.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

I don’t think I’ve ever used the facility, but in Python, don’t folks use its exception handling to exit from deeply nested processing loops? It’s an interesting question because Max for example, I don’t think has any explicit exception handling code. Run time errors are treated like compile time errors that you’re suppose to fix after reading a console warning. Anyway, too early in the morning here to add anything of substance.

cturner wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:56 amAnyway, too early in the morning here to add anything of substance.
Tell me about it: exactly why I said I'd get back to you later (once the caffeine has kicked in.)

Have a good weekend, Colin!

Hi Colin
Sorry for noob question, but how to specify cc number in "unpack controller"?
🙄😊

Arguzeen wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:18 pm Hi Colin
Sorry for noob question, but how to specify cc number in "unpack controller"?
🙄😊
In the current public release, you'll need to connect something directly to the inlet. If you want a fixed number, you should use a [data] module with the value. Or if you want it dynamic, maybe connect a slider with a 0 to 127 range. I can break these down further, if you'd like a step-by-step guide?

(The forthcoming 10.3 makes this whole process a lot easier as you can enter values directly on inlets, removing the need for a lot of modules and wiring, and generally massively reducing how much thought you need to put into event order and the like. )

(I hope this is the right place for questions like this…)
How to turn off the Mapping mode when running inside Live? The key command (Command M) is the same as for mapping in Live and that's all it does; Architect doesn't respond to it. Is there some other way to turn it off?

Could someone please post a quick screen shot of a graph set up to record MIDI files from the poly step seq into the pool? TIA!

David wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:47 pm (I hope this is the right place for questions like this…)
How to turn off the Mapping mode when running inside Live? The key command (Command M) is the same as for mapping in Live and that's all it does; Architect doesn't respond to it. Is there some other way to turn it off?
You can either use the button on the toolbar to the top-right of the interface, or redefine the keyboard shortcut in the options. I did try to make keyboard shortcuts as host agnostic as possible, but with so many hosts and operating systems (and versions of each), the list of guaranteed no-clashers is a short list indeed!

David wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:22 am Could someone please post a quick screen shot of a graph set up to record MIDI files from the poly step seq into the pool? TIA!
This starts recording when the transport starts, and stops recording when it stops.

Return to “Loomer”