Upcoming Synapse OB-Xa: Obsession

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Noumena wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:05 amInteresting. Well, I just posted some videos where I’m demonstrating what I’m talking about myself and then some more where others are doing the same, and I posted some “counter arguments.” If you don’t want to be called out for your BS stop shoveling it onto the threads.
Sorry, the videos didn't show up the first time, it just looked like the same response as previously. I have amended my response in my usual loquatious style.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

The more videos you post the less I want this synth
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:00 am The more videos you post the less I want this synth
Hahahaha! :D

BONES wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:19 am
AnX wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:31 amplease make it stop....
How about this? I'm pretty sure it's Jaz's OB -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqLhCei_Nxw

yeah well, I love KJ, seen em a few times 8)

Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

AnX wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:07 amyeah well, I love KJ, seen em a few times 8)
That song and the album it is from don't feel like real KJ stuff, though.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:57 am
If the music is predominantly being written on strong monophonic lines, monophonic 5D might be all you need, and not poly expression.
My point is that it is pretty much all anyone needs so taking up all 16 MIDI channels for it is bloody stupid
Well, if it was that useless or stupid, there wouldn't be a growing group of developers (including Mr. Richard Hoffmann) wasting precious time implementing polyphonic expression on their instruments, unnecessarily complicating things just to sell few more licences.

Niowiad wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:39 am Well, if it was that useless or stupid, there wouldn't be a growing group of developers (including Mr. Richard Hoffmann) wasting precious time implementing polyphonic expression on their instruments, unnecessarily complicating things just to sell few more licences.
Yet it's exactly what's happening. :roll:

It's a trend that will be vanished in a few years.
Fernando (FMR)

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Haken Continuum has existed for years now already, even before "MPE" happened, and if anything, the market for such controllers is opening up rather than closing down.

Yeah I mean... Haken, Sensel, ROLI, ExpressiveE, Roger Linn, Keith McMillen, Joué, Behringer (future poly-AT CS-80 keybed).
And many top level developers (including the people at Arturia with Pigments) are chiming in with their newest instruments.
To me it looks like poly expression it's very slowly but finally starting to take off, not to necessarily replace whatever preceded it, but at least to add more possibilities.
And looking at it with an open mind, it is really capable of some beautiful stuff.

Yeh, I just got an email yesterday from Expressive E showing the final design of 'Osmose'. Its a thing of beauty in my opinion and I think it may take MPE more mainstream being both stand alone and accessible to traditional keyboard players.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

BONES wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:03 am
zerocrossing wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:41 pmI’m not sure what’s more fascinating to me. The fact that you spent years with controllers who’s primary purpose is MPE and couldn’t find a use for it, or that you bought one pretty expensive controller, found MPE useless, and then got another.
That's because you're underlying assumption is incorrect. The primary purpose of a Roli Seaboard is to offer their 5 Dimensions of Touch. That's the headline, MPE is just a minor consideration. I don't even have it switched on most of the time. The Seaboard Block is my favourite keyboard to play, ever. I just prefer it to a normal keyboard. Even if it didn't do the 5D thing, I'd probably still want one, although I wouldn't have been willing to pay as much without the 5D.

Which you can achieve with velocity which, again, has been around forever. MPE brings only incremental improvement, whereas 5D is a revolution.
I've seen you write some pretty unfounded things with misplaced confidence but I haven't seen statements quite this ignorant before. This is boldly going into stupid like never before.
5D is simply 5 midi expressions at the same time, nothing new. The thing that is new about it is that it is per key. The entire point was to make these expressions independent per key. Everyone knows this. Where on Earth would you get the idea that "MPE is just a minor consideration". Is this something you have learned from Roli? Or Roger Linn? Of course not, it something you just made up. Do you think it is a minor consideration for the whole world because you do not have ability to understand how to use it, whereas many others have shown it's usefulness on countless youtube videos?

I don't actually think you believe what you are saying, you are just trolling. Is it so important to you to be contrarian that you are willing to say something so obviously untrue? You are telling someone that their underlying assumption is false about the primary purpose being MPE when they are correct about that. And you have nothing at all on which to base your wild claim that it was a minor consideration. So stop saying this nonsense. You can not speak for those who design MPE instruments and what their major and minor considerations were. They themselves have made it quite clear that MPE was the main consideration, you don't get to change that because you don't like it.

MPE can support 100D in reality, it's just a MIDI CC over a MIDI channel really, if you have a synth that can parse that there you have it. 5D is nothing really THAT special, it's just one of the ways MPE could be implemented on a hardware device. But in reality, MPE allows you to use nearly all the MIDI CCs to do something per note. That they only specced out CC #74 by default is just that - a default.

In the first 10 seconds of this videos, he's already done things that you can't do in a split keyboard non-MPE setup on a "5D" controller. Examples like these are all over youtube. Again - Willful ignorance.

Return to “Instruments”