Released: Free Synthesizer Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Odin 2

Good luck with your thesis, have really enjoyed Odin so far.

If someone want new presets to play with while he's studying:
Sorry, it's now expired.
The dl should be good for 10 days.
Preset saffran d01 and d02 was done with the new sequencer version.
Last edited by Saffran on Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saffran wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:16 am If someone want new presets to play with while he's studying:
https://gofile.io/d/0IGjt0
The dl should be good for 10 days.
Preset saffran d01 and d02 was done with the new sequencer version.
Thank you. :wink:

TheWaveWarden wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:44 pm Version 2.1.0 is live!

There's a big new feature: The Arpeggiator / Step Sequencer!

Screenshot from 2020-05-17 19-16-08.png

You can find it via the button over the modmatrix! The features are:

- Time select
- Octave select
- Pattern / Direction select
- Gate length
- Number of steps before the sequence wraps around
- One-Shot mode, where the sequence stops after playing once
- "Mod 1" and "Mod 2": Those knob-rows are freely assignable in the modmatrix
- "Mod 2"-row can be replaced by "Transpose"-row to transpose every step by [-24,24] semitones (note that both features can still be used simultaneously)
- On/Off button for every step in the sequence
- Gate length and Speed are also available as modulation targets

Also there are a few other changes, here's the full changelog:

- new feature: Arpeggiator / Step Sequencer
- new modulation sources: Arp Mod 1 & 2
- new modulation tagets: Arp Speed & Arp Gate
- all sync-time selectors now show a dropdown with most common times on click
- unison selector now shows dropdown rather than being click-draggable
- fixed issue where unison+legato would produce clicks
- changed default value for Delay-Feedback to 0.45
- changed default value for Delay-Wet to 0.7
- implemented MIDI-AllNotesOff
- implemented MIDI-allSoundOff
- modwheel and pitchbend are no longer loaded with patches
- drastically reduced filesize for patches without draw-oscs
- enlargened the height of the GUI, thereby relaxing the spacing in the LFOs

Further roadmap for Odin 2

I will halt development for now (my thesis is due in two weeks :roll: )

The next step will be to implement the patch-browser which so many people have been asking for. After that the beta will end and I will release Odin. Along with the release comes a tutorial series, a proper promotion video as well as the patch library.

Features definitely planned after release:
- An envelope editor to change the curvature of envelopes

Features maybe planned after release:
- A larger wave-editor window, with more editing options (straight lines, load/save waves etc.)
- A written manual

As always thanks for all your feedback and testing.
If you still have patches lying around or want to upgrade yours to the arp, now is a good time! :)
Warden, I think you should also consider making Odin2 more "skinnable-friendly" (if doable). I'm sure you'd be surprised how easily you'd get great skins from the community by doing this, so it'd be a win-win for everyone!

Good luck with your thesis!

Feature request (if doable) : Possibility to latch adjacent checkboxes in the sequencer. Rightclick to select and it changes color when active.

Feature request (If doable) : I would like to be able to modulate the LFO amplitude to create a delayed vibrato, not just the LFO pitch.

Sinisterbr wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:22 pm Warden, I think you should also consider making Odin2 more "skinnable-friendly" (if doable). I'm sure you'd be surprised how easily you'd get great skins from the community by doing this, so it'd be a win-win for everyone!

Good luck with your thesis!
To be honest, I have no idea how this would be done. There is a way to load graphics from files, but that would mean I'd have to store a folder with all 800+ graphic assets lying around with the synth. It would also probably increase loading times quite a bit. So this one is not very high on my prio list ;-) If I find an easy way to do it, I might though.
Saffran wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:41 pm Feature request (if doable) : Possibility to latch adjacent checkboxes in the sequencer. Rightclick to select and it changes color when active. Only problem I see is I'd need to implement a "3-state button", which is probably quite some work. I'll think about it.
Latching, like in, that step would always have a gate time of 100%? That's an interesting idea!
Erisian wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:50 pm Feature request (If doable) : I would like to be able to modulate the LFO amplitude to create a delayed vibrato, not just the LFO pitch.
Hmmm, I think you can achieve this with the "Scale" row in the modmatrix. Set up your modulation and then set "Mod Envelope" in "Scale" with amount 100%. If you set a long attack on the mod-env now the modulation will gradually fade in. Or is there something else what you're tryint to achieve?

Regardless, having the amplitude of the LFO as a modulation target is probably doable and not very difficult to implement... I added this one to the todo list (if doable) ;-) no promise though

TheWaveWarden wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:23 pm
Saffran wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:41 pm Feature request (if doable) : Possibility to latch adjacent checkboxes in the sequencer. Rightclick to select and it changes color when active. Only problem I see is I'd need to implement a "3-state button", which is probably quite some work. I'll think about it.
Latching, like in, that step would always have a gate time of 100%? That's an interesting idea!
I see it as instead of two short notes it would be one long note.
Maybe more than two notes. A sequencer with less staccato.
Probably would add more rythmic variation too.

Saffran wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:35 pm
TheWaveWarden wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:23 pm
I see it as instead of two short notes it would be one long note.
Maybe more than two notes. A sequencer with less staccato.
Probably would add more rythmic variation too.
Ah now I get it. The note stays into the next step... Hmmm that's even better an idea :D

Hi all,

I found Odin2 some weeks ago and after making some presets I saw the great potential of this synth. I like to have aftertouch (or channel pressure) for more expression to bring more live into the sound. Now I tried to make a short track to see how the sounds blend together in a production. I only used Odin2, with some gentle touch of EQ and a ton of reverb :wink:

https://soundcloud.com/photonic-1/odin2-ambient-style

Have fun!
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

photonic wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:59 am Hi all,

I found Odin2 some weeks ago and after making some presets I saw the great potential of this synth. I like to have aftertouch (or channel pressure) for more expression to bring more live into the sound. Now I tried to make a short track to see how the sounds blend together in a production. I only used Odin2, with some gentle touch of EQ and a ton of reverb :wink:

https://soundcloud.com/photonic-1/odin2-ambient-style

Have fun!
:clap: :love:
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

TheWaveWarden wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:23 pm Hmmm, I think you can achieve this with the "Scale" row in the modmatrix. Set up your modulation and then set "Mod Envelope" in "Scale" with amount 100%. If you set a long attack on the mod-env now the modulation will gradually fade in. Or is there something else what you're tryint to achieve?
That sounds exactly like what I want. I have never used scale before and didn't know what it was for. I'll give that a go - thank you. :tu:

Should there be some factory sound bank with the Odin 2? I have no presets with the installed Odin2...

Tannaliini wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:19 pm Should there be some factory sound bank with the Odin 2? I have no presets with the installed Odin2...
No, we are all creating presets that will become the official soundbank when the finished version is released.

There is a link in this post to some of those that have been made by people.
viewtopic.php?p=7751296#p7751296

Return to “Instruments”